Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
I still think they have too many holes to fill and paying top dollar to only try and fix some of them isn't what they need. Ride out this team until the very last OT and then see what the off season brings.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I think most people seen it coming. He had 17 last year and we lost Hall, Bertuzzi, Bergeron, Krejci and Foligno.
Point well taken, although his previous high was 8 in 60 games and Jake was a 27 goal scorer last year. Maybe my phrasing was too strong, but that is also a strong supporting cast (not so much with Figgy) in terms of setting conditions for him to score that many goals (matchups, etc.). It was hard to tell who, if anyone, was going to rattle off goals this year with a depleted roster. There were many people clamoring to trade him earlier this year. Maybe better to say those people did not see it coming. Thanks for the opportunity to correct.

First heard about him preferring Tampa.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Ride it out with these guys. Offseason let Jake walk. Move Ullmark. Sign Bertuzzi for 5m/ 3 years. Jacob Middleton for 3rd pairing. Get a top 6 center so Coyle slots down to 2 or 3C. Poitras & Lohrei will be a year stronger. Get some physical bite in the middle 6. Enough cap space to attack the offseason and make a difference

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Point well taken, although his previous high was 8 in 60 games and Jake was a 27 goal scorer last year. Maybe my phrasing was too strong, but that is also a strong supporting cast (not so much with Figgy) in terms of setting conditions for him to score that many goals (matchups, etc.). It was hard to tell who, if anyone, was going to rattle off goals this year with a depleted roster. There were many people clamoring to trade him earlier this year. Maybe better to say those people did not see it coming. Thanks for the opportunity to correct.

First heard about him preferring Tampa.

I didn't buy he would score that many again. Glad I was wrong. Wish he was more consistent. Hot and cold as Jake. Also wish we had another Frederic in the lineup.

Reactions: bruins19

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
Ride it out with these guys. Offseason let Jake walk. Move Ullmark. Sign Bertuzzi for 5m/ 3 years. Jacob Middleton for 3rd pairing. Get a top 6 center so Coyle slots down to 2 or 3C. Poitras & Lohrei will be a year stronger. Get some physical bite in the middle 6. Enough cap space to attack the offseason and make a difference

Is this not terrible asset management? You don't see this team winning a cup, but you keep Jake and lose him for nothing?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

At first glance, Brandon Carlo and Mason Lohrei look to have similar profiles on the ice.
Carlo, a steady, stay-at-home anchor on the Bruins defense corps, has the frame needed to eat up pucks and snuff out scoring chances at 6 feet 5 inches and 217 pounds.
Lohrei is a virtual carbon copy at 6-5 and 211 pounds.
But the tale of the tape is usually where the comparison ends between the blue liners, especially when Lohrei gets the puck on his stick.

”It’s crazy seeing a guy that big be that mobile,” Carlo said. “The way that he moves around guys and just makes that extra move along the blue line when he’s the last man back — it’s fun to see. I don’t know if I would dream of doing that as much. But I love watching it.”

The Bruins would welcome Lohrei’s ability to ferry pucks to the net and orchestrate Grade A chances when activating off the blue line. But if the 2020 second-round pick wants to stick around the NHL ranks, he’ll need to take a page out of Carlo’s book and shore up his defensive game.

Now in his third call-up from AHL Providence, Lohrei has impressed coach Jim Montgomery over this latest stint (4 points in five games, 19:09 ATOI) with his ability to get past poor shifts or games quickly.

”In this league, if you have an average or subpar game, that next game you’ve got to get it back right away,” Montgomery said after Thursday’s win. “And I thought he did that for us tonight. I really liked his response.”

Some growing pains were to be expected for an offensive-minded defenseman like Lohrei, who made the switch from forward when he was 16 years old.

But with Hampus Lindholm still out with a lower-body injury, the Bruins have thrust Lohrei into regular minutes alongside Carlo.

Over their last five games together, the Lohrei-Carlo pairing has logged 50:16 of five-on-five ice time, with just 13.7 percent of faceoffs set in the offensive zone. But even with those heavy D-zone reps, the Bruins have outscored opponents, 4-2, over that time.

Montgomery stressed Carlo’s communication and “positive reinforcement” on the ice as a useful resource for a rookie like Lohrei. And after years of playing alongside a puck-mover in Torey Krug, Carlo has welcomed the chance to play with another offensively gifted defenseman.

“I’ve always loved playing with guys who move the puck well,” Carlo said. “I think there are things that he can help me with, with moving the puck out of the zone, and then vice versa — I’d like to try and help him on the rush reads and whatnot defensively. I think we’re a very good match.”

“His approach to the game is great,” Carlo said. “I think his confidence has definitely always shown, but his calmness at times defensively has been great.

“I feel like we’re not trying to run out of position as much and we’re reading off of each other better. So just with those reads, I feel like he’s doing a lot better of a job.”

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
with all the talk about wanting to add size into the top 9, I'm a little shocked no one has brought up Anthony Mantha as a trade target. 18 goals 32 points on the year, 6'5" 235lbs, with excellent underlying numbers to boot. And he's doing that all in pretty limited minutes, so he could presumably do even better in a bigger role with better linemates here. Cap space would be an issue, but they could find a way to make it work somehow. Feels like the exact guy half the people here are begging for and no one is talking about him. And he beat the snot out of Dylan Cousins recently, which is a huge plus in my book.
When Mantha was with Detroit, I was big on him and when he was moved to the Caps, I was pissed that the Bruins were not in on him, but then he started getting a reputation as a lazy ass. He is having a good year ,but what player are we getting this years version, or lazy ass and are you willing to take that chance. I have always liked Josh Anderson, a player who I feel always gives his best, but injuries have always been a issue , would you consider him and I know the Montreal thing comes into play and his contract would need to be worked out.

Reactions: Gordoff

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Not signing Bertuzzi, and there is some merit to ride out the season with what you have, not sure I am totally sold, and I know there will be many around here that will not be also.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
When Mantha was with Detroit, I was big on him and when he was moved to the Caps, I was pissed that the Bruins were not in on him, but then he started getting a reputation as a lazy ass. He is having a good year ,but what player are we getting this years version, or lazy ass and are you willing to take that chance. I have always liked Josh Anderson, a player who I feel always gives his best, but injuries have always been a issue , would you consider him and I know the Montreal thing comes into play and his contract would need to be worked out.

Mantha is a solid player, but he would immediately replace DeBrusk as the new whipping boy.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Not signing Bertuzzi, and there is some merit to ride out the season with what you have, not sure I am totally sold, and I know there will be many around here that will not be also.
I think Bertuzzi’s game worked well in his short stint here. He’s a greasy net front player. Dirty goals. Tip in’s, deflections etc.

Reactions: Bodit9

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I'd think this weekend you'd see teams sitting guys out, but maybe the league sent out a message after last season. where Gavorkov and Chychryn sat out for weeks waiting for a trade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad