Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
keep you assets and play the kids. There is no realistic deadline acquisition that helps this team be more then a 2nd round exit at best. Keep Lohrei up and get Lysell and Beecher in the lineup, let them work through the rookie mistakes that come and get them their first taste of the playoffs.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
What's he gonna do? What the f*** is Sweeney gonna do with this?

I don't think you'd have two fans of this team who would agree on the precise course of action.

A bare cupboard. No cap space. Holes on defense. Holes in the top six. Underperfomers throughout the lineup. And a toughness ratio that is all-too reminiscent of the Dave Lewis era. And on top of that? Second place in the East.

The situation is completely absurd. I don't want to sell as one of the top records in the league. I don't want to add to this lackluster roster... And I don't even know where I'd start if I did. Both? I don't think it's possible.
I think this team has wildly overachieved and that's all goaltending and a good system. The cracks were always there but they can't seem to patch them anymore. Don is going to do something stupid costing us a bunch of assets to continue to be pretenders. Like is there anyone in this forum that believes the B's could get to the final or win it? Even with a couple of additions? I think as fun as the overachieving was to watch it's cost us in the sense the team is now going to trade away more picks and prospects for a team that'll get run out of the post season quickly. It being the centennial season makes all the more likely

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Try to move DeBrusk, JVR, Heinen, Grzelcyk, Forbort, and Shattenkirk. Listen to offers or make a hockey trade involving Frederic, Zacha, or Ullmark.

Call up the kids and get them some playoff expierence.

Freddy I keep. He doesn't always show it but he can have an edge In his game. No one else in the organization from Boston or Providence, besides maybe Lauko shows any emotion

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Yeah, I don't think it’s an overreaction to sell the UFAs this week, tonight was the tip of the iceberg, but the problems have been under the surface for a while now.

Listen on every UFA and Ullmark, should be plenty of talent left to build around with our own kids or ones acquired in the trades.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
He hasn’t looked like one for a good bit now aside from some flashes.
He was very good from the time they got back from Christmas break until the all star break. Then since coming back from that he's been legitimately very bad, think he only had 2 5v5 points in all of February. Same with Coyle, both those two just haven't been good enough and that's been a big part of our slump.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Freddy I keep. He doesn't always show it but he can have an edge In his game. No one else in the organization from Boston or Providence, besides maybe Lauko shows any emotion
I don't think the Bruins are going to move Zacha, Frederic, or Ullmark, but if the Bruins can upgrade the roster, they shouldn't make these players untouchable.
This thread is going to be f***ing hilarious for the next 4-5 days.
Next 6 days, trade deadline is on the 8th 😉

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don't think the Bruins are going to move Zacha, Frederic, or Ullmark, but if the Bruins can upgrade the roster, they shouldn't make these players untouchable.

Next 6 days, trade deadline is on the 8th 😉
Yeah but nothing happens the last day or two anymore

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He was very good from the time they got back from Christmas break until the all star break. Then since coming back from that he's been legitimately very bad, think he only had 2 5v5 points in all of February. Same with Coyle, both those two just haven't been good enough and that's been a big part of our slump.
Yep. He’s still a very good player but it feels like we are seeing his age and wear and tear beginning to matter. He’s taken an ungodly amount of physical abuse in his career and the chickens might be coming home to roost.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
What's he gonna do? What the f*** is Sweeney gonna do with this?

I don't think you'd have two fans of this team who would agree on the precise course of action.

A bare cupboard. No cap space. Holes on defense. Holes in the top six. Underperfomers throughout the lineup. And a toughness ratio that is all-too reminiscent of the Dave Lewis era. And on top of that? Second place in the East.

The situation is completely absurd. I don't want to sell as one of the top records in the league. I don't want to add to this lackluster roster... And I don't even know where I'd start if I did. Both? I don't think it's possible.
Harry Sinden it.

Get a couple of bargain basement players to patch holes and give some depth. Say there were not any good deals available that would help now and improve us beyond this season(Probably will be true). Let the dice roll and fall as they may regardless.
Punt, nothing has changed.

The summer is the real show for Sweeney. Always was going to be.
He will build the new team going forward. Will he be an architect of something grand or do a sloppy plaster patching job? The result will determine his career, methinks.

Reactions: Gordoff

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
This thread is going to be f***ing hilarious for the next 4-5 days.
doomed-bender.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Hookslide

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Yep. He’s still a very good player but it feels like we are seeing his age and wear and tear beginning to matter. He’s taken an ungodly amount of physical abuse in his career and the chickens might be coming home to roost.
They need to find a way to reduce his minutes, a 35 year old playing nearly 20 min a night is just not sustainable. Bergy never averaged over 19 min a game once he hit 32, the bruins made a very clear effort to reduce his minutes year after year to keep him productive as he got older. Should be doing the same with Marchy, like do we really need him PKing still? We have a million guys that can handle those tough minutes, let them do it.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This isn’t a mid season lull….they’ve not played well with any kind of consistency for at least 6 weeks or so.

It’s a flawed roster, but I’m not even blaming Sweeney too much for it because it’s also a by product of going for it last year…..which I was 100% behind.

And….while I know that teams solidly in the playoffs don’t typically sell at the deadline…..this team should probably be the exception to that.

What team in the playoff structure right now would you wager even $200 that the Bruins would beat in a series right now?

Use the deadline to re stock the pipeline and do some damage in the off season via free agency to re-tool for the next run.

Bruins have the best record against playoff teams in the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad