Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babajingo

My fear is that Donny thinks he has something here and he'll trade away what little prospect/picks he has left, for a rental 30 something. He should be dumping the dead weight has has now and see what happens in the POs. It is what it is, but get some picks for Jake, Gryz, Forbert, Ulmark, ... Even if they are later rounds. Better than them just walking.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
My fear is that Donny thinks he has something here and he'll trade away what little prospect/picks he has left, for a rental 30 something. He should be dumping the dead weight has has now and see what happens in the POs. It is what it is, but get some picks for Jake, Gryz, Forbert, Ulmark, ... Even if they are later rounds. Better than them just walking.

I 100% agree. But it won’ happen.

I heard Billy Jaffe say “what message does it send to the guys sitting atop the East of you sell off your UFAs?” My answer to Billy is “the right one.” This team has been artificially inflated by their goaltending all year. They’ll make the playoffs almost solely on their 9-0-1 start. But to invest in this team is to mortgage the future for a flawed 1st MAYBE 2nd round playoff exit.

I truly believe Sweeney knows this and I think his wish is to pair players like Debrusk for something that fits moving forward but other GMs aren’t biting. Guys like Debrusk and Grzelcyk are great depth pieces to a complete team. But why add them to a roster you’re trying to build for 3-5 years down the road at the price they’re apparently requesting? I think all the UFAs will be here because he won’t sell them for futures.

The one piece I think that has value to a contender, we could get good assets for, and we don’t need is Ullmark. If Sweeney doesn’t trade him by the deadline now that Markstrom and Saros are apparently off the market. To me, that will be one of his biggest offenses as a GM.

Reactions: smithformeragent

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Sad, that's all I can say about Jakes stat line, but dam he's been terrible offensively. His last 14 games two points and both came against the Oilers. One would think he would of accidently collected another point here or there!

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
Sad, that's all I can say about Jakes stat line, but dam he's been terrible offensively. His last 14 games two points and both came against the Oilers. One would think he would of accidently collected another point here or there!

I’m so ready for him to be playing in another uniform. His flyby, half assed attempt on I think it was Lee’s goal last night set me off.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
The Bruins are essentially 4-9 in their last 13 games.
Bandaids aren’t solving their problems.
Unload the UFAs and Ullmark.
Focus on getting youth, prospects and/or draft picks.
They 16-14 in their last 30 counting OT losses.

I agree. It’s time to start looking at prospects to restock.

MillerTime29Bombs

Feb 12, 2023
Woburn

Yeah but he is a 200 foot player and he is on the PK. This kid continues to get a ton of ice. Plays all special teams yet has no points , finishes one check every 3 games but hey his 200 foot game is incredible. Sadly best case you get a late second. Every team knows he is mentally soft.

Reactions: Ladyfan and TCB

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Yeah but he is a 200 foot player and he is on the PK. This kid continues to get a ton of ice. Plays all special teams yet has no points , finishes one check every 3 games but hey his 200 foot game is incredible. Sadly best case you get a late second. Every team knows he is mentally soft.
He would get the Monahan return IMO

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He seems to be intent on giving us a final send off on just how bad that 2015 first round draft truly was.

Last edited:

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I 100% agree. But it won’ happen.

I heard Billy Jaffe say “what message does it send to the guys sitting atop the East of you sell off your UFAs?” My answer to Billy is “the right one.” This team has been artificially inflated by their goaltending all year. They’ll make the playoffs almost solely on their 9-0-1 start. But to invest in this team is to mortgage the future for a flawed 1st MAYBE 2nd round playoff exit.

I truly believe Sweeney knows this and I think his wish is to pair players like Debrusk for something that fits moving forward but other GMs aren’t biting. Guys like Debrusk and Grzelcyk are great depth pieces to a complete team. But why add them to a roster you’re trying to build for 3-5 years down the road at the price they’re apparently requesting? I think all the UFAs will be here because he won’t sell them for futures.

The one piece I think that has value to a contender, we could get good assets for, and we don’t need is Ullmark. If Sweeney doesn’t trade him by the deadline now that Markstrom and Saros are apparently off the market. To me, that will be one of his biggest offenses as a GM.

If you take out the first 10 games of the season the Bruins would be 2nd in the division.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

After an ugly 5-1 loss to the New York Islanders last night (March 2), it is clear that the Boston Bruins have some decisions to make at the 2024 NHL Trade Deadline. Their recent struggles have shown that they need to make some additions to their group for the upcoming postseason. Cam Neely recently said that "adding a stiff defender would be good" for the Bruins.

When looking at the current trade market, one defenseman who could provide the Bruins with just that is Nick Seeler of the Philadelphia Flyers. The Minnesota native is quietly having an excellent season playing top-four minutes with Philadelphia, and he could give the Bruins a big boost because of it.

Seeler, 30, has appeared in 62 games this season, where he has one goal, 12 points, 181 blocks, 110 hits, and a plus-15 rating. He has been a workhorse on the Flyers' blue line, and the Bruins would benefit from adding a player like that to their group before the deadline passes.

If the Bruins acquired Seeler, he would help improve their struggling left side and would be an option for their second pairing. Along with that, his aggressiveness and steady defensive play would make him an obvious choice for their penalty kill.

The 6-foot-3 defenseman also has an easily affordable $775,000 cap hit, so it would not be hard for the Bruins to fit him in financially. Thus, he may be the perfect trade target for Boston right now.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I agree. The Monahan return Calgary got from Montreal :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I’m just kidding.

But no. Really. This kid sucks.
Jeff Gorton was a wizard, he ended up getting 2 first for Sean Monahan. I like Monahan and would take him on the Bruins, but Gorton was playing chess there when all the other GMs were setting up their Checker pieces.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
If you take out the first 10 games of the season the Bruins would be 2nd in the division.

Not sure how you calculated that but by every metric (w%, projected points etc.) they’d by 3rd in the Atlantic and 6th in the East.

Reactions: Gordoff

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I gotta admit it would be really gangster to sell some UFAs and call up some kids. But I just don't see them doing it.

I think Sweeney isn't going to sleep much the next few days. I know that much. He's going to be very busy, even if not much happens. But it won't be for lack of trying.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
They 16-14 in their last 30 counting OT losses.

I agree. It’s time to start looking at prospects to restock.

In that time period, they are 3rd in the NHL in points. Y’all are getting way too hung up on these OT losses. They suck in 3 on 3. And they are blowing leads and getting to 3 on 3 way too often. But only Florida has lead after 2 more often than the Bruins in those last 30 games.

They clearly need help. And right now both the offense and the goaltending is in a slump. But it’s far far far far from as dire as folks are pretending right now.

Not sure how you calculated that but by every metric (w%, projected points etc.) they’d by 3rd in the Atlantic and 6th in the East.

Yeah I missed Toronto

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
In that time period, they are 3rd in the NHL in points. Y’all are getting way too hung up on these OT losses. They suck in 3 on 3. And they are blowing leads and getting to 3 on 3 way too often. But only Florida has lead after 2 more often than the Bruins in those last 30 games.

They clearly need help. And right now both the offense and the goaltending is in a slump. But it’s far far far far from as dire as folks are pretending right now.

Yeah I missed Toronto

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I would have dealt krug but I can see why they didn’t due to the team competing. The one I will never understand is Sweeney keeping a 37/38 year old chara after the bruins missed the playoffs.

Generally though I’d almost always rather move on from a player if I know they aren’t going to be around much longer.
OK valid point on Chara, but if you want to open up that can of worms, why bring back Krecji after he already left, they should have moved forward from him.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Ouuu Ouuu let me!!!

63 has 1 assist in his last 5 games!
11 has 2 assists in his last 5 games!
Poor brad looks like the wheels have finally caught up to the guy after the a/s brake.

Freddy at least looks to be battling and looks like he has the puck when he's out there.

Jake knows he's gone so I wouldn't read to much into his play

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Jeff Gorton was a wizard, he ended up getting 2 first for Sean Monahan. I like Monahan and would take him on the Bruins, but Gorton was playing chess there when all the other GMs were setting up their Checker pieces.
Easy to do when you team sucks and you are always looking to future assets. When was the last time he added a piece that made his team better?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If they add Hanifin and are convinced about Lohrei, they could move Lindholm or Carlo and slot Mason into the top 4…saving whatever Lindholm/Carlo make.

Personally I think I like that plan because you could add two physical guys for the third pair and PK.
Carlo at 4mil and you want to move him, that's a head scratcher, Lindholm at some point maybe when Loheri rounds out his game , he is not there yet as some like to believe. I also would not mind Seeing Hanifin Boston, but not breaking the bank for him sorry, especially with so much Florida talk. I have said many time before you can never have enough D-man and I not moving a Carlo out to bring one in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad