Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Since Lohrei appears in so many trade offers, what do we think his ceiling is?

I was thinking Kaberle, Rafalski kind of player? Which is legit

He has physical gifts neither Kaberle nor Rafalski had.

He has his warts defensively as is to be expected really. But his height/reach/skating/offensive confidence is a rare package. You look around the league and there aren't many young D-men like him. I can't foresee them moving him in a deadline deal. It would be absolutely shocking to me if they did.

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015

He has his warts defensively as is to be expected really. But his height/reach/skating/offensive confidence is a rare package. You look around the league and there aren't many young D-men like him. I can't foresee them moving him in a deadline deal. It would be absolutely shocking to me if they did.

A legit off season training with Chara and another training camp is going to do this kid wonders. He looks very good already, mistakes come and obviously come more often with a rookie, but he is doing everything asked of him right now.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

Kaberle was still 6'1 190. Lohrei is a bit bigger though, agreed. But he plays about as physical as Kaberle (which is to say, not very ).

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
A legit off season training with Chara and another training camp is going to do this kid wonders. He looks very good already, mistakes come and obviously come more often with a rookie, but he is doing everything asked of him right now.

I'd like to see him be a bit more assertive in front of the Bruins net. But otherwise you can't expect a whole lot more from a D-man with 50 professional games under his belt than what he's given them.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Except you don't need Gryz, Lohrei is just a better player at this point.

obviously the question is would Lindholm go on LTIR as that gives them flexibility to do something, but it would mean he'd have to be out the rest of the regular season, because you can't bring in 6+ million, and then suddenly he is healthy with 2 weeks to go, and you are dead.

Well what it Calgary trying to do? They have played better recently and are now in a position to make a run at postseason. So are they still going to trade their UFA for value or are they going to go for it.

If they are looking to maximize value for Hanifin, and Sweeney offers you Lohrei and god forbid more than that, you take whatever cap trash makes the deal work (sorry gryz)
Who is going to want an injured free agent grz ? Only way is we attach more draft picks which we are already short of

Reactions: Gordoff

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Since Lohrei appears in so many trade offers, what do we think his ceiling is?

I was thinking Kaberle, Rafalski kind of player? Which is legit
I have a hard time trying to pin down his ceiling. A 6'5" defenseman that has his hands and offensive instincts is very rare. The defensive side of his game is a little rough, but he's played like 30 NHL games so far so I don't think that's overly indicative of anything. And it's already gotten much better then it was when he first got called up.

If he hits the gym hard this summer and continues to work on his skating I think he could have legit 2/3D potential. Someone you could comfortably play with either McAvoy, or have him run the 2nd pair with Carlo. I really don't want to trade him, only guy that makes a ton of sense to do it for is Hanifin cause you'd basically just be getting a guy that already is what you hope Lohrei becomes.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Who is going to want an injured free agent grz ? Only way is we attach more draft picks which we are already short of

They don't want gryz. They want Lohrei and a pick, or whatever else they want and get in a deal.

If Calgary deals Hanifin to anyone they are going to retain/eat 5 million in crap. The only teams that want him are contenders And very few if any have 5 million in cap space, No Contender is going to trade 5 million dollars in valuable players to get him.

this happens at every deadline when guys are dealt, cap crap has to come in return. And the type of cap crap they want is cap crap that is a UFA at the end of the year, not someone who has a contract next year

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I have a hard time trying to pin down his ceiling. A 6'5" defenseman that has his hands and offensive instincts is very rare. The defensive side of his game is a little rough, but he's played like 30 NHL games so far so I don't think that's overly indicative of anything. And it's already gotten much better then it was when he first got called up.

If he hits the gym hard this summer and continues to work on his skating I think he could have legit 2/3D potential. Someone you could comfortably play with either McAvoy, or have him run the 2nd pair with Carlo. I really don't want to trade him, only guy that makes a ton of sense to do it for is Hanifin cause you'd basically just be getting a guy that already is what you hope Lohrei becomes.

Lohrei is already the superior offensive player. I think his ceiling is higher than Hanifin. I'm a Hanifin fan but he's that jack-of-all-trades master-of-none type of D-man (which isn't a knock) he does everything well, really no weaknesses in his game but no real standout strengths outside of his skating. Just a solid, steady and reliable player.

Eventually I can see Lohrei QB'ing an NHL powerplay while still being a solid option for PK time and shutdown minutes as his defensive game improves.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Does anyone know why Ryan Graves is being listed as a Boston Bruin on multiple websites team rosters?
likely just a mistake. Can't see the bruins trading for Graves given the poor year he's having and just how much term he has left.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Except you don't need Gryz, Lohrei is just a better player at this point.

obviously the question is would Lindholm go on LTIR as that gives them flexibility to do something, but it would mean he'd have to be out the rest of the regular season, because you can't bring in 6+ million, and then suddenly he is healthy with 2 weeks to go, and you are dead.
So if they trade for Hanifin, forbort and Gryz are gone and Lindholm is out for a while you have a left side of:

Hanifin
Lohrei
Wotherspoon

thats assuming Lohrei isnt the piece used to get Hanifin,

then your left side is Hanifin Wotherspoon and what Ian Mitchell?

Who replaces both Lindholm and Forborts PK time and Dzone starts? Lindholm likely wont be out past the start of the playoffs so LTIR doesnt gain you anything. you still need to be compliant after he's activated. all corresponding moves need to happen together, they dont happen in a vacuum.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Does anyone know why Ryan Graves is being listed as a Boston Bruin on multiple websites team rosters?
Looks like it's only Hockey Reference that has him on the Bruins' roster. It's most likely just an error on their end.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
So if they trade for Hanifin, forbort and Gryz are gone and Lindholm is out for a while you have a left side of:

Hanifin
Lohrei
Wotherspoon

Who replaces both Lindholm and Forborts PK time and Dzone starts? Lindholm likely wont be out past the start of the playoffs so LTIR doesnt gain you anything. you still need to be compliant after he's activated. all corresponding moves need to happen together, they dont happen in a vacuum.
Not sure how we get Hanifan in a trade, unless it is involving a player like Ullmark / Poitras / Lohrei
We do not have a first round pick till 2026
Would rather pass and get him for free as a UFA

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not sure how we get Hanifan in a trade, unless it is involving a player like Ullmark / Poitras / Lohrei
We do not have a first round pick till 2026
Would rather pass and get him for free as a UFA

We have a first round pick in 2025, although any trade of the 2025 pick would need to be conditional, as there is still an infinitesimal chance the Bruins fall to a top 10 pick, and thus keep their 2024 and lose their 2025

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Hanifin
Lohrei
Wotherspoon

Well I didnt say get rid of Both. I did say i believe Lohrei is a better overall player than Gryz at this point, Gryz adds nothing to the scenarios you mention, and has been borderline unplayable bad at times this season. I'd just as soon.

And as I have said I would not trade Lohrei for Hanifin

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Shows it on The Score, FanTrax and another fantasy sports website as well.
I just checked yahoo and he’s labeled as a Bruin. I would assume it’s a glitch or input error.

He’s got 6 years left at 4.5 per. Can’t see the B’s doing a deal for that right now given their cap situation.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I just checked yahoo and he’s labeled as a Bruin. I would assume it’s a glitch or input error.

He’s got 6 years left at 4.5 per. Can’t see the B’s doing a deal for that right now given their cap situation.
I'm a fan. Cap situation schmap schmitushmation. I'm choosing to believe he's now a Bruin.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I'm a fan. Cap situation schmap schmitushmation. I'm choosing to believe he's now a Bruin.
I don’t dislike him. But it has to be money in and money out situation no?

Debrusk is the closest in cap to him at $4 mill but would still need an additional $500k out, they could demote someone.

Could the appeal be Gryz on an expiring contract to get off the hook for the 6 years remaining?

Not sure how it all would work honestly. Still think it’s a glitch lol

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

Debrusk is the closest in cap to him at $4 mill but would still need an additional $500k out, they could demote someone.

Could the appeal be Gryz on an expiring contract to get off the hook for the 6 years remaining?

Griz and a minimum contract would work and it gets Pittsburgh more money next year inf ree agency. Graves does not strike me as a Dubuis type of player, Griz does.

Reactions: Gordoff and CDJ

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
You gotta keep Lohrei - 3 assist the other night

Brazeau —-> next Jason Allison

Sign Hannafin in the summer

Trade Debrusk if good offer ( never draft a Libra again - too much up and down )

Sell Ullmark at some point

Sell Grizz and Forbert

Call up Providence D man ( the good one )
Kaberle was still 6'1 190. Lohrei is a bit bigger though, agreed. But he plays about as physical as Kaberle (which is to say, not very ).
Macavoy #73 wasn’t physical when he first came in the league. Give him time to polish his play first, then work in a mean streak like Mac or Quaider or Kevin Miller

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

6'5" 220, 28 years old. Plays 20 minutes a night on the left. 5 years left at 4.5 after this year. Seems interesting. I can't say I have watched him alot. What style of game does he play?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Gryz and Forbort out. Graves in. No take backsies!

Of course it's a glitch. But I don't care! It's canon now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad