Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That Ryan Graves contract is disgusting. Belch.

You do not sign UFA players that caliber and age to 6-7-8 year deals. It ends up a mistake 99% of the time.

Reactions: wintersej

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Yeah, I was a Forbort defender for a while but he's so bad. If you can find a way to move Grzelcyk and Forbs at the deadline, you do it. Try to recoup any sort of draft pick.
Shattenkirk has been just as bad as, if not worse then, Forbort as well. Defense needs a lot of work if they want this team to do anything come playoffs, starts with giving Lohrei a full time spot. Time to accept that he makes this team's ceiling higher and live with the rookie mistakes IMO.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Shattenkirk has been just as bad as, if not worse then, Forbort as well. Defense needs a lot of work if they want this team to do anything come playoffs, starts with giving Lohrei a full time spot. Time to accept that he makes this team's ceiling higher and live with the rookie mistakes IMO.
I honestly don’t think he has been imo- this post-injury version of Forbort has been the worst player I’ve seen in a bruins uniform in a few years at the very least I think. At least Shattenkirk can run a PP

When Forbort is going well he brings value to the team, but this version of him is barf soup

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That's the exact reason the Lindholm deal is obscene IMO and maybe why you stay away from Hanifin

Both Lindholm and Hanifin are better and more proven than Graves is or was. It's not as big of a concern with them but still a concern nonetheless.

I'd give Hanifin an 8-year extension however.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I honestly don’t think he has been imo- this post-injury version of Forbort has been the worst player I’ve seen in a bruins uniform in a few years at the very least I think. At least Shattenkirk can run a PP

When Forbort is going well he brings value to the team, but this version of him is barf soup
It's splitting hair, but Shattenkirk's underlying numbers are worse across the board since forbort came back, despite Shattenkirk starting much more shifts in the ozone. And eye test wise he really hasn't looked much better then Forbort to me.

Neither are playing well enough to be part of a difference making third pair come playoffs.

Reactions: Gordoff and CDJ

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
That's the thing when the defense after #3-4 goes off a cliff talent wise.

Reactions: Gordoff

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Yeah, I was a Forbort defender for a while but he's so bad. If you can find a way to move Grzelcyk and Forbs at the deadline, you do it. Try to recoup any sort of draft pick.
Yeah forbort has been dogshit since coming back from injury.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's splitting hair, but Shattenkirk's underlying numbers are worse across the board since forbort came back, despite Shattenkirk starting much more shifts in the ozone. And eye test wise he really hasn't looked much better then Forbort to me.

Neither are playing well enough to be part of a difference making third pair come playoffs.

And neither of them look any better or worse than Gryz to me.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I dont get all the sign Hanifin in the offseason nonsense. Do people look at the standings? This morning, we're first overall in the NHL. Yes, I said yesterday that I dont feel this team wins a round as currently constructed, just because playoffs are a whole different beast. I also reserve the right to be smarter today than I was yesterday. I think they're in tough in a 7 gamer vs Tampa. I think they beat Detroit in a 7 game series. But I dont believe they beat Toronto or Florida in the 2nd round nor do I think they win vs either of those teams if they fall to 2nd or 3rd in the division.

Centennial season, coming off the biggest choke job of their playoff lives, anything thinking the Bruins brass won't be "all in" this year are crazy! Evan Gold and Sweeney likely have a football field sized room with white boards, completely covered in ways to manipulate the cap and get the guys they want in here for a long playoff run.
Why not try for Chychrun instead? Younger a bit , overall better player, so use those assets for him and sign Hanifin later, it then gives you the opportunity to trade Lindholm and recoup assets, its a win-win. If our top 4 next year is Chychrun, McAvoy, Hanifin and Carlo that is very impressive.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
The problem with trading or signing Hanifin is Lindholm's contract IMHO. Lindholm has 3 more years of NMC-NTC. Then you have Lohrei at 1 more year on his ELC. Then do you a 2 year bridge deal for Lohrei to be on your 3rd pair? I just don't see how it all works out unless Lohrei is part of the deal.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The problem with trading or signing Hanifin is Lindholm's contract IMHO. Lindholm has 3 more years of NMC-NTC. Then you have Lohrei at 1 more year on his ELC. Then do you a 2 year bridge deal for Lohrei to be on your 3rd pair? I just don't see how it all works out unless Lohrei is part of the deal.

Why not?

They are already paying Forbort (or Gryz) roughly what a 2-year bridge deal would get for Lohrei and you'd be getting a much better player.

Lohrei isn't even a realistic ask from Calgary for Hanifin. He looks like an A level prospect/young player and they didn't get that kind of prospect back for Lindholm. Lindholm is considered a star whereas Hanifin is just a good solid experienced player.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Why not try for Chychrun instead? Younger a bit , overall better player, so use those assets for him and sign Hanifin later, it then gives you the opportunity to trade Lindholm and recoup assets, its a win-win. If our top 4 next year is Chychrun, McAvoy, Hanifin and Carlo that is very impressive.
Hanifin gives you a full schedule worth of games while Chychrun does not. So, whatever Hanifin signs for is basically what he costs. Chychrun costs you his salary along with the salary for whoever replaces him for the ~20 games he's injured.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
They don't want gryz. They want Lohrei and a pick, or whatever else they want and get in a deal.

If Calgary deals Hanifin to anyone they are going to retain/eat 5 million in crap. The only teams that want him are contenders And very few if any have 5 million in cap space, No Contender is going to trade 5 million dollars in valuable players to get him.

this happens at every deadline when guys are dealt, cap crap has to come in return. And the type of cap crap they want is cap crap that is a UFA at the end of the year, not someone who has a contract next year
so tell me how we afford hanafin, when we cant even afford brazeau
grz forbert is not getting it done

Reactions: Kegs

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Is he a better player??? Based on what?? Not sure that is facts in evidence there.

The good news/bad news with JC is he has one more year on his contract so Ottawa has no incentive to trade him, unless someone overpays for him

Ottawa gave up a top 5 protected first round pick(becomes unprotected next year if it doesn't convey this year), and 2 second round picks. So if Ottawa deals him, in division, the Bruins have nothing of the value of the Ottawa #1, so you would need to add above that Maybe a #1 in 25 , lohrei, and a couple of seconds? that is a ton to give up.

Reactions: bbfan419

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Pageau at $5 mil 2024-2026. High IQ, killer at the dot, consistent player. Perhaps Islanders retain salary? Not having his best year on a meh Islander team.

Seems Grzelcyk is at least healthy enough to be the 7th D. Sending Mitchell down to Providence should allow Brazeau to get 'called back up.'

Fluto still doing his culinary experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad