Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I don't think JDB would return anything more than a late second round pick: he is too streaky to return a better package. That being said, I think it's time to move on.
The guy with 4 goals in 7 playoff games last year who’s sitting at #5 in playoff goals for LWs since he broke into the league is only getting a late second. Interesting.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I’ve been told by 2 different sources Bruins ’are getting calls on JDB’…..but…..’the potential offers are underwhelming’.

fwiw.
He's our Noah Hanifin...
Maybe the feeling is that he also wants to "go home."
So besides the inconsistencies, teams don't want to spend
much on a guy who's as good as gone after the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodit9 and Number8

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Wouldn’t mind Tinordi as a depth defenseman if they are looking at Chicago. Reese Johnson hits and does a solid job on faceoffs.

Kunin, Burroughs, and Givani Smith are guys I have interest in from SJ

Not expecting some sort of blockbuster, just bottom pairing and 4th line tweaks
Kunin and Burroughs make a ton of sense. That's a solid start to bringing in some more team toughness. If we can actually land Hanifin and keep Lohrei somehow, then it doesn't get much better than Burroughs as the #6 making a million for a couple more years

Reactions: CDJ and Gordoff

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I'll keep saying it. This teams weakness isn't defense, or goalie. It's goalscoring.

This. If we move on from Debrusk like seemingly everyone wants this team would have one guy under the age of 35 who is a good bet for 20+ goals on the team. Zacha has done it once, zero playoff goals, Freddy may do it this year, zero playoff goals. But let’s move on from one of the few guys who consistently show up in the playoffs and has scored 25 or more 3 times.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
This. If we move on from Debrusk like seemingly everyone wants this team would have one guy under the age of 35 who is a good bet for 20+ goals on the team. Zacha has done it once, zero playoff goals, Freddy may do it this year, zero playoff goals. But let’s move on from one of the few guys who consistently show up in the playoffs and has scored 25 or more 3 times.
We better be smart about this kid, I doubt we just give him away.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lohrei goes nowhere unless a legit #1 Center who is locked up contract wise comes in return. Not to say it would be a 1-1 deal but that is the only way I'm moving him

By the way, if I'm Calgary after seeing this, I wouldn't have let Don out the building without offering Hanifin for Lohrei and whatever cap stuff needs to be done. If the Bruins make that trade they regret it for a decade

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
That's pretty damn good, no?

But he reqwested a twade!!!!

Sure he’s played a lot more games than many of his peers but when they do so in the regular season no one seems to care about pace. Only raw totals. Fun fact his .30 g/GP in the playoffs over that stretch puts him in a 3 way tie for 21st among left wings(14 or more GP) with Artemi Panarin and Kyle Connor. The highest paid winger in the league and a 7+ million dollar winger that people wet their underpants over the team passing on to this day. But he’s a boob I guess. Not worth 5 million or even a early 2nd round pick…

Last edited:

Gifu

Dec 17, 2021
Many people here think, why give up assets when you can get Hanifin for "free" in the summer.

The way I see it is that Hanifin is not a rental player for the team that acquires him, but that Hanifin will almost certainly sign for the team that acquires him.

Reactions: Gordoff

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Many people here think, why give up assets when you can get Hanifin for "free" in the summer.

The way I see it is that Hanifin is not a rental player for the team that acquires him, but that Hanifin will almost certainly sign for the team that acquires him.

That is a possibility. Certainly not a sure thing either way. And it totally depends on the team, and their situation.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
He's our Noah Hanifin...
Maybe the feeling is that he also wants to "go home."
So besides the inconsistencies, teams don't want to spend
much on a guy who's as good as gone after the playoffs.
Is home Edmonton or Calgary for him? I’d grant his wish if it makes sense for us. There’s players of interest on both teams, but the dreaded salary cap is as big a factor as needs, unfortunately.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Definitely a possibility, but not set on stone at all: I'm against trading more assets/picks. It's time to improve our farm system.

I don't disagree. I'm really reluctant to give up another 1st rounder.

Really sucks they spent so much draft capital last year it's hard to justify shipping out more when they have so little. I have a feeling the front office feels the same way.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I dont get all the sign Hanifin in the offseason nonsense. Do people look at the standings? This morning, we're first overall in the NHL. Yes, I said yesterday that I dont feel this team wins a round as currently constructed, just because playoffs are a whole different beast. I also reserve the right to be smarter today than I was yesterday. I think they're in tough in a 7 gamer vs Tampa. I think they beat Detroit in a 7 game series. But I dont believe they beat Toronto or Florida in the 2nd round nor do I think they win vs either of those teams if they fall to 2nd or 3rd in the division.

Centennial season, coming off the biggest choke job of their playoff lives, anything thinking the Bruins brass won't be "all in" this year are crazy! Evan Gold and Sweeney likely have a football field sized room with white boards, completely covered in ways to manipulate the cap and get the guys they want in here for a long playoff run.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
What if they win the cup with a top 4 of:

McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Hanifin?
No we have to keep prospects so we might win a Cup another time. I am not a huge Hanafin fan but he makes them much better today than a first round pick or Lohrei, who one day might be as good as Hanafin. Add Middleton or Lauzon to the D and I would be pretty confident about D and goaltending on the playoffs.

The goal of the GM should always be to improve the team to try and win a cup
There is no team that looks unbeatable this year. All contenders are flawed so Sweeney should be doing everything he can to win a Cup

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
No we have to keep prospects so we might win a Cup another time. I am not a huge Hanafin fan but he makes them much better today than a first round pick or Lohrei, who one day might be as good as Hanafin. Add Middleton or Lauzon to the D and I would be pretty confident about D and goaltending on the playoffs.

The goal of the GM should always be to improve the team to try and win a cup
There is no team that looks unbeatable this year. All contenders are flawed so Sweeney should be doing everything he can to win a Cup
$ in $out....how do we trade for Hanafin with something Calgary would want that balance $ ?
Picks, prospects, young players is not going to do it

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I wouldn't be shocked if there is an agreement like Boston did with Hampus Lindholm where Hanifin is extended right away with his new team.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Elias Lindholm ends up re-signing back with Calgary in the off-season. It wasn't clear why interested teams couldn't get the assurances of an extension as Friedman suggested and muse it was Boston. Did Lindholm's camp tell other teams sorry but they were going to July 1st no matter what?

Or did the Flames not want Lindholm talking extension with other teams because they want to try and bring him back themselves. Sounds like Calgary are punting this season but aren't going into a full rebuild either. Tidy piece of business if they can get Lindholm back in the off-season. I think this is the more likely scenario. What player/agent basically makes up their mind 100% in January to essentially ignore all opportunities from now until July 1st?

How does this impact Hanifin? Unlike Lindholm, I think they know they have zero chance of Hanifin coming back next year. So there is no benefit to them to not let teams talk to his camp about an extension to see what can be done. It actually works in Calgary's favor and increases their return.

Reactions: Gordoff and Gifu

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
hoping the injuries don't force their hand with hanifin. i think chances are high he signs here in the offseason but at the same time nothing is set in stone until the contract is signed.
I feel the opposite, I think injuries complicate what was otherwise going to be a trade happening sooner rather than later. If they were going to say try and dump both forbort and gryz as part of a trade, well now you need them on the roster because lindholm is hurt.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I feel the opposite, I think injuries complicate what was otherwise going to be a trade happening sooner rather than later. If they were going to say try and dump both forbort and gryz as part of a trade, well now you need them on the roster because lindholm is hurt.

Except you don't need Gryz, Lohrei is just a better player at this point.

obviously the question is would Lindholm go on LTIR as that gives them flexibility to do something, but it would mean he'd have to be out the rest of the regular season, because you can't bring in 6+ million, and then suddenly he is healthy with 2 weeks to go, and you are dead.

$ in $out....how do we trade for Hanafin with something Calgary would want that balance $ ?
Picks, prospects, young players is not going to do it

Well what it Calgary trying to do? They have played better recently and are now in a position to make a run at postseason. So are they still going to trade their UFA for value or are they going to go for it.

If they are looking to maximize value for Hanifin, and Sweeney offers you Lohrei and god forbid more than that, you take whatever cap trash makes the deal work (sorry gryz)

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Since Lohrei appears in so many trade offers, what do we think his ceiling is?

I was thinking Kaberle, Rafalski kind of player? Which is legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad