Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
They would be stupid to do it before Swayman’s name is on the dotted line, too.

Yes. As noted previously, Jeremy has more than a bit of Tim Thomas and Billy Smith in him. And Tory Krug as well.

He didn't appreciate the arbitration business, and he's not going to give Sweeney a hometown discount.

He knows his value and will go elsewhere if necessary.

Good for him.

Yeah I’m gonna need me some Seeler. Him and Carrick. That’s my deadline. Not in a position to go all in right now but those guys should improve the team toughness + bottom pairing/4th line

Given the Flyers success, I wonder if Seeler will even be available.

Reactions: CDJ and wintersej

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I’ve been told by 2 different sources Bruins ’are getting calls on JDB’…..but…..’the potential offers are underwhelming’.

fwiw.

There's a cool graph where you plot underwhelming return vs keeping him for 1 playoff's worth of contributions before he leaves for nothing

And it becomes a question of how little does the return need to be to still be worth it?

Like do you trade him for a mid 2nd? Probably not is my guess. Obviously they snap trade him for a 1.

Reactions: CDJ

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
Just sign Hanifin in the off-season, and retain the assets.....
Waiting for Hanifin to potentially hit the market in the offseason doesn't fill a need now though. Notwithstanding, I don't like subtracting that much from a left side that is already depleted. Yeah, Hanifin is a LD, but you're net down one LD by including Forbort. Plus, my second favorite fantasy involves a blueline next year that features Lindholm, McAvoy, Hanifin, Carlo and Lohrei (my first involves Jennifer Lawrence, Anna Kendrick, and a bag of coke).

Since we seem intent to not give Lysell a shot, despite holes in the middle six, perhaps we could convince Calgary to sub in Lysell for Lohrei in that (completely unsourced) rumor?

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Waiting for Hanifin to potentially hit the market in the offseason doesn't fill a need now though. Notwithstanding, I don't like subtracting that much from a left side that is already depleted. Yeah, Hanifin is a LD, but your net down one LD by including Forbort. Plus, my second favorite fantasy involves a blueline next year that features Lindholm, McAvoy, Hanifin, Carlo and Lohrei (my first involves Jennifer Lawrence, Anna Kendrick, and a bag of coke).

Since we seem intent to not give Lysell a shot, despite holes in the middle six, perhaps we could convince Calgary to sub in Lysell for Lohrei in that (completely unsourced) rumor?

I think you'll find people even less enthusiastic about that idea

Reactions: CDJ

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Totally on board. My concerns with moving him now are about not having Sway under contract, yet.

There are three major variables. 1] If Ullmark's value will never be higher than it is at present, they certainly have to listen. If he's worth more now than this summer, then you do it.

However, 2] I have no idea what his no go list is, or how many teams are on it. (If anyone does, please inform.) So if Linus agrees to a trade, will clubs he's willing to go to provide the best return? Better than what the B's could bring back in the off-season?

And 3] as wintersej points out, they have to sign Swayman before moving Ullmark. What if that proves tricky? What if Jeremy is not in an accommodating mood? Again, he's still peeved about the arbitration thing, and there is no way he's taking a hometown discount. He's got a lot of pride and he won't tolerate being jerked around. The payout will have to be handsome.

He can make matters difficult for the Bruins should he choose to do so. I don't think that will happen, but it's possible.

Reactions: sarge88

Deal Law

Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
I think you'll find people even less enthusiastic about that idea
People can be more or less enthusiastic about that idea; not really my concern. From my POV, Lohrei is progressing and is gaining valuable NHL experience. Building from the back out makes the most sense to me. Given the lack of valuable assets the Bruins have, seems one of those two would have to go the other way. My preference would be to keep the young blueliner, who would be accretive to our current D corps + Hanifin, than to subtract from the current/future D corps to add Hanifin. Just an opinion.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
People can be more or less enthusiastic about that idea; not really my concern. From my POV, Lohrei is progressing and is gaining valuable NHL experience. Building from the back out makes the most sense to me. Given the lack of valuable assets the Bruins have, seems one of those two would have to go the other way. My preference would be to keep the young blueliner, who would be accretive to our current D corps + Hanifin, than to subtract from the current/future D corps to add Hanifin. Just an opinion.

We presently start Heinen, Richard and Brazeau at RW.

I don't really want to trade Lysell in that context given that he plays RW.

If you have Charlie, Hampus, Hanafin, Carlo and Wotherspoon as the foundation of your next Dcore, I think you're positionally doing a little better than Heinen/Richard/Brazeau. That's me.

Reactions: sarge88

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

BTW, who's the guy in your avatar?

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
Hanifin isn't coming here, he will cost too much to get, and too much to keep.
Regardless of the higher salary cap next year, still have others to pay.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Waiting for Hanifin to potentially hit the market in the offseason doesn't fill a need now though. Notwithstanding, I don't like subtracting that much from a left side that is already depleted. Yeah, Hanifin is a LD, but you're net down one LD by including Forbort. Plus, my second favorite fantasy involves a blueline next year that features Lindholm, McAvoy, Hanifin, Carlo and Lohrei (my first involves Jennifer Lawrence, Anna Kendrick, and a bag of coke).

you could offer Lysell and Lohrei together and wouldnt matter. We dont have the $$$$$.

Deal Law

Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
you could offer Lysell and Lohrei together and wouldnt matter. We dont have the $$$$$.
I was going off of the rumor in the link. Forbort was the salary offset (I presume with the assumption that Calgary retain on Hanifin as well; which would probably cost more than the package in the link).

Reactions: Gee Wally

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Hanifin isn't coming here, he will cost too much to get, and too much to keep.
Regardless of the higher salary cap next year, still have others to pay.
Wouldn’t be sure about that. With the increase in the cap coupled with departure of UFAs, Grzelcyk, Shattenkirk, Forbort, possibly VanReimsdyk there could be enough to entice Hanafin to sign long term. Trading Ullmark would also free up 5 mil.

Reactions: SPLBRUIN and Skelen

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
I don't think JDB would return anything more than a late second round pick: he is too streaky to return a better package. That being said, I think it's time to move on.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Sure it is. But is it enough of a difference to make Swayman untouchable, if you can get a significantly better return?

To be clear, I'm not advocating that we should trade Swayman. However if you are in the mindset of moving a goalie to improve your F/D NOW, you gotta at least consider it if you think you can get a significantly better package.

Yeah you are potentially trading away a long term G for short term gain, but if the whole point is to get better now, why trade the lesser valued goalie?
I thought the same thing. Ullmark is older, but has pretty low mileage for a goaltender, a position where guys can be successful into their 30s. I’d have to be blown away by an offer for Swayman, but I’d be listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad