Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I think we have a very deep stable of D once the 2 hurt guys are back. With Freddy maybe better suited as a bottom 6 guy this year, I actually wonder if the trade Sweenius will do is similar to the Marcus Johansson trade of years back.

I think we need a middle six RW. So new guy slotted where 43 is, 43 in where Richard is, Richard press box. I know people will say "that's Lysell". I'm sure it will be next year. I think this year that's where they go.

That spot is decently stacked. I haven't checked injuries, and obviously money means gynamstics and payment for retention. But names for middle 6 RW: Tarasenko, Eberle, Mantha, Toffoli (if they drop out of the race), Raymond, Sprong, P Kane, Silverberg...

I'm sure they don't all work. But I wonder if we get someone in that list as a surprise

Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 1.32.14 PM.png

Reactions: Gordoff

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
To the "not trade Ullmark until the offseason crowd"

Would you consider it if Swayman had an extension in place, it guaranteed a 1st + coming back, and it was proceeded to be flipped for either a top four defenseman or a top six forward. Let's say Hanifin for example (with an extension as well)

Curious if it swings anyone to the other side because I think it's the exact course they should take

Totally on board. My concerns with moving him now are about not having Sway under contract, yet.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Totally on board. My concerns with moving him now are about not having Sway under contract, yet.

I’d be more concerned if Swayman was UFA, not RFA.

Yes, it can get messy either way, but I’d think that both camps have an idea about where his next contract will fall and I can’t see him wanting out.

I mean, Sweeney has a pretty good track record of keeping the guys he identifies as core players.

This is such a tough situation and I go back and forth on my opinion almost weekly it seems.

I fully understand that they like having this great tandem and it certainly does prevent one guy from getting worn down.

With that being said, its a huge, huge luxury and you can only play one guy at a time.

Given that the deadline happens after about 75% of the season has been completed, and given their other needs, I think right now, I’d be good with moving Ullmark for help up front or on D.

I’m fully aware that it is highly unlikely to happen and obviously I worry about what happens if Swayman were to get hurt, but 85% of the rest of the league lives with the worry about losing their #1 every day.

Personally,I‘d rather worry about Swayman’s health with a better forward or defense group, than worry about the forwards or defense, with a capable goaltender doing nothing from the bench.

Stay tuned though…I could change my mind around midnight e.s.t.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Given that the deadline happens after about 75% of the season has been completed, and given their other needs, I think right now, I’d be good with moving Ullmark for help up front or on D.
Its a fair point of view, but let me play Devil's Advocate for a second:

If you want to trade a goalie this year, for help up front or on D, which goalie would bring the higher return? Ullmark or Swayman?

Statistically, our 2 goalies are pretty much even, and I think they'll be very comparable from a salary standpoint next year as well. So if you want to move one, why not move the player that's going to bring you back the better return?

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Its a fair point of view, but let me play Devil's Advocate for a second:

If you want to move a goalie for help up front or on D, which goalie would bring the higher return? Ullmark or Swayman?

Statistically, our 2 goalies are pretty much even, and I think they'll be very comparable from a salary standpoint next year as well. So if you want to move one, why not move the player that's going to bring you back the better return?
Swayman just turned 25. Ullmark turns 31 this summer.

Reactions: G Backup

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
And that is a major difference.
Sure it is. But is it enough of a difference to make Swayman untouchable, if you can get a significantly better return?

To be clear, I'm not advocating that we should trade Swayman. However if you are in the mindset of moving a goalie to improve your F/D NOW, you gotta at least consider it if you think you can get a significantly better package.

Yeah you are potentially trading away a long term G for short term gain, but if the whole point is to get better now, why trade the lesser valued goalie?

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Reactions: bbfan419

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Rumor: Mason Lohrei? For Hanifin? How much upside does Lohrei have? I like the kid. I don't like the 1st round pick being moved either.

Tough call. Hanafin is basically what we would hope Lohrei turns into - a guy who can play in the top 4 , be responsible in his own zone, and push the puck up the other ice while producing points. Hanafin is the finished, proven product but will cost assets to acquire and command a high salary hit while Lohrei doesn't have the contract demands because he's unproven.

On top of that, the way our player core is set, I think it better suits a guy of Hanafin's age and player status. But Boston's cap crunch needs wins like Lohrei playing cheap and on the roster. I'm not sure what the right move is. I guess we can all wait and hope he signs here in the offseason and then we'll have both players but that's a roll of the dice.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

Rumor: Mason Lohrei? For Hanifin? How much upside does Lohrei have? I like the kid. I don't like the 1st round pick being moved either.
for a signed noah hanifin, that's probably a fair ask. what's interesting is hanifin is only 4 years older than lohrei.
also calgary would have to retain since the cap wouldn't work, even with forbort included.

lohrei's upside? considerable. unlikely he will ever defend as well as hanifin, but could end up more productive.
i've heard they like hanifin, but didn't seem interested in moving more picks/assets to do so. but this stuff changes
daily.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Tough call. Hanafin is basically what we would hope Lohrei turns into - a guy who can play in the top 4 , be responsible in his own zone, and push the puck up the other ice while producing points. Hanafin is the finished, proven product but will cost assets to acquire and command a high salary hit while Lohrei doesn't have the contract demands because he's unproven.

On top of that, the way our player core is set, I think it better suits a guy of Hanafin's age and player status. But Boston's cap crunch needs wins like Lohrei playing cheap and on the roster. I'm not sure what the right move is. I guess we can all wait and hope he signs here in the offseason and then we'll have both players but that's a roll of the dice.
Just sign Hanifin in the off-season, and retain the assets.....

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
for a signed noah hanifin, that's probably a fair ask. what's interesting is hanifin is only 4 years older than lohrei.
also calgary would have to retain since the cap wouldn't work, even with forbort included.

lohrei's upside? considerable. unlikely he will ever defend as well as hanifin, but could end up more productive.
i've heard they like hanifin, but didn't seem interested in moving more picks/assets to do so. but this stuff changes
daily.

Yeah the age difference makes Lorhei easier to swallow.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
So Lohrei (worth a 1st), Forbort, and a 1st, for Hanafin who will be a UFA, and probably comes to us for free in the offseason.

Uh that's a no from me. I'll take him in the offseason, thanks.

But also basically 1+1+4th for Hanafin as a UFA? When they traded EK65 they barely got better.

Just sign Hanifin in the off-season, and retain the assets.....

My pony is slow. Exactly this.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
No way the deal would be a first and Lohrei, its hilarious though that you lose 4 years in that trade however.

In this case its not a full NMC so he cant really pull a Hall.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
No way the deal would be a first and Lohrei, its hilarious though that you lose 4 years in that trade however.

In this case its not a full NMC so he cant really pull a Hall.

But he kind of can.

Hanafin through his agent can say

"look trade me where you want, but I'm a Bruin next year"

And it's done. We can get him for less, lol

Reactions: Gordoff and Skelen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad