Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Sure it is. But is it enough of a difference to make Swayman untouchable, if you can get a significantly better return?

To be clear, I'm not advocating that we should trade Swayman. However if you are in the mindset of moving a goalie to improve your F/D NOW, you gotta at least consider it if you think you can get a significantly better package.

Yeah you are potentially trading away a long term G for short term gain, but if the whole point is to get better now, why trade the lesser valued goalie?
Well Rocco, you got me to do some thinking quite a accomplishment. I was in favor before the season started that moving Ullmark should have been what needed to be done, but as the season went on I changed my mind and felt this team depended so much on their goaltending that maybe they should wait until offseason, but you make it worth discussing. Is Bussi capable, can you by moving Sway, bring enough in return and still keep you cap compliant, now that you are going to go all in with Ullmark, what are you willing to give him on his next contract when he will be 32 years old. Bottom line is will you get enough in return for Sway to justify what you will be facing at the end of next year.

Reactions: RoccoF14

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

I need to know what the feelings are out there about Bissonnette, do most feel he is someone that you should take seriously?

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I need to know what the feelings are out there about Bissonnette, do most feel he is someone that you should take seriously?
He's got a finger on the pulse of the players for sure...I thought he was a joker before he proved me wrong on the whole Mike Babcock fiasco in Columbus ..so now I listen

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Well Rocco, you got me to do some thinking quite a accomplishment. I was in favor before the season started that moving Ullmark should have been what needed to be done, but as the season went on I changed my mind and felt this team depended so much on their goaltending that maybe they should wait until offseason, but you make it worth discussing. Is Bussi capable, can you by moving Sway, bring enough in return and still keep you cap compliant, now that you are going to go all in with Ullmark, what are you willing to give him on his next contract when he will be 32 years old. Bottom line is will you get enough in return for Sway to justify what you will be facing at the end of next year.

Rask and Price were done at 33. Tim Thomas wasn’t even in his prime yet. Crap shoot ola.

Reactions: bbfan419 and CDJ

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm torn on Hanifin and Lohrei. And Lindholm is part of the equation too.

Bottom line is there is only so much cap and only 3 line-up spots for them.

Lindholm is 3 years older than Hanifin, and Hanifin as Wally pointed out, only 4 years older the Lohrei (all January B-days).

Lindholm has 6 more years left with a lot trade protection built in.

A Hanifin extension would most certainly be 7 years if he's a summer UFA, 8 if he's a re-sign after a deadline deal.

Lohrei has one more year on his ELC. They certainly wouldn't want his next contract to walk him in UFA status at 27, but Hanifin and his new contract here probably forces the Bruins to sign Lohrei to a 2-year bridge deal rather than a long-term extension. So your looking at an affordable raise after 24-25, and come Summer 2028, if he reaches his potential, a big raise.

Maybe Sweeney planned this out IDK, but with a two-year bridge then a big contract for 28-29, it coincides with Lindholm's trade protection going down to a NTC with 15 teams he can't be traded too. Leaving 17 (or more) he can be. Lindholm will be 33 by then.

There is the potential here to run Lindholm-Hanifin-Lohrei as your left side for 3 seasons after this one. That's awfully tempting. Summer 2028 deal Lindholm for whatever and you still have a Hanifin at age 30 with 4-5 more years left, and Lohrei at 26 with a 7-8 year contract in hand.

I should also point out that three of the biggest appeals to Hanifin are he's a very strong skater, extremely durable in his career up to now, and already has 600 NHL games experience as a D-man at age 27.

A week ago I would of said "sure, include Lohrei in a Hanifin trade, can't keep both anyways".

But is that true? Seems to me like it's very doable to have the two of them AND Lindholm here for 3 (or 3 and 1/4?) seasons while setting up the Top 2 spots on your left side for 7-8 seasons.

A lot can change between now and then but that's awfully tempting to locked down the left side long-term with a Hanifin acquisition (or UFA signing) Tampa won two cups with an uber-solid left side and while none of these guys are Hedman, they didn't have a McAvoy on the right side either.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
What if they win the cup with a top 4 of:

McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Hanifin?
Loheri as talent, but Hanifin is already proven NHL player. Not sure yet on Loheri still has to grow his game as most D-men need to do, if Hanifin was 30 not 27 , no brainer would not do the deal. I have a problem moving the first pick,

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Waiting for Hanifin to potentially hit the market in the offseason doesn't fill a need now though. Notwithstanding, I don't like subtracting that much from a left side that is already depleted. Yeah, Hanifin is a LD, but you're net down one LD by including Forbort. Plus, my second favorite fantasy involves a blueline next year that features Lindholm, McAvoy, Hanifin, Carlo and Lohrei (my first involves Jennifer Lawrence, Anna Kendrick, and a bag of coke).

Since we seem intent to not give Lysell a shot, despite holes in the middle six, perhaps we could convince Calgary to sub in Lysell for Lohrei in that (completely unsourced) rumor?
I’m not as concerned about filling the need now, instead of waiting. Adding him at the deadline, mathematically improves our adds at winning a Cup MAYBE by a percentage point or two, at best.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Wouldn’t mind Tinordi as a depth defenseman if they are looking at Chicago. Reese Johnson hits and does a solid job on faceoffs.

Kunin, Burroughs, and Givani Smith are guys I have interest in from SJ

Not expecting some sort of blockbuster, just bottom pairing and 4th line tweaks

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Whether people like his personality or not. People can’t deny how involved he is in the league. Constantly around current and former players and various insider/analysts. He definitely hears a lot and has a ton of inside informations

Reactions: Gordoff

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Are you secretly a Kings fan ????
I knew it wouldn’t go over well. Heh

Linus is going, only question is where and when…

If you believe Dubois would flourish in a winning culture, this is a steal for Boston and also allows the Kings to assuredly make the playoffs.

What are we really talking about, Linus and a couple rentals that we might very well move on from anyway?

For the #1 center we need more than anything, now and moving forward, and a rock solid Dman in Mikey Anderson…signed long term at a very reasonable contract. Easy Gryz upgrade.

And a pick to move or keep.

And the money seems to work, I believe.

I get it, it’s ballsy. But worth looking at…

Last edited:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I’ve been told by 2 different sources Bruins ’are getting calls on JDB’…..but…..’the potential offers are underwhelming’.

fwiw.
Teams trying to get him on the cheap knowing the Bruins are looking for cap space, still would not trade him, unless part of a deal for a youngish player that can help us.

Waiting for Hanifin to potentially hit the market in the offseason doesn't fill a need now though. Notwithstanding, I don't like subtracting that much from a left side that is already depleted. Yeah, Hanifin is a LD, but you're net down one LD by including Forbort. Plus, my second favorite fantasy involves a blueline next year that features Lindholm, McAvoy, Hanifin, Carlo and Lohrei (my first involves Jennifer Lawrence, Anna Kendrick, and a bag of coke).

Since we seem intent to not give Lysell a shot, despite holes in the middle six, perhaps we could convince Calgary to sub in Lysell for Lohrei in that (completely unsourced) rumor?
Trade for Chychrun instead and try to sign Hanifin as a UFA, then you could potentially trade Lindholm to recoup assets.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not trading Lohrei for Hanafin.

Im assuming at this point he makes it to market this summer. Sign him as a UFA at that point if he wants to be here.

Then he ends up traded to one of those no-tax states in a warmer southern climate and realizes life would be pretty good making pile of cash playing hockey and still being able to walk around without being recognized.

It's like meeting a pretty lady you want to date in the spring, and letting her date someone else until your ready to approach her in the summer months. You might find that ship has sailed.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I thought the same thing. Ullmark is older, but has pretty low mileage for a goaltender, a position where guys can be successful into their 30s. I’d have to be blown away by an offer for Swayman, but I’d be listening.
To me, because of his age, his ability, and his attitude, Swayman is far and away the guy you lock up. It isn't even close.

I like Linus, but you have to do what's best for the team. And he is their Blue Chip. I would investigate and see what's out there.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don't think JDB would return anything more than a late second round pick: he is too streaky to return a better package. That being said, I think it's time to move on.

If Monahan can pull a first then Debrusk can as well.

I still want Debrusk on this team in the future as long as it’s $5.25m or below, but that’s the absolute max I would go AAV wise.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
For whatever reason, many do. I think the guy is a dope, a sensationalist, and in it for the dough. Which means he'll say almost anything that gets eyeballs or clicks.

Like others we all know around here.

CHB. KPD. Felger, et. al.

Spittin' Chicklits is garbage. As is Portnoy.

🚫

Reactions: Gordoff

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Then he ends up traded to one of those no-tax states in a warmer southern climate and realizes life would be pretty good making pile of cash playing hockey and still being able to walk around without being recognized.

It's like meeting a pretty lady you want to date in the spring, and letting her date someone else until your ready to approach her in the summer months. You might find that ship has sailed.

Definitely a possibility, but not set on stone at all: I'm against trading more assets/picks. It's time to improve our farm system.

Reactions: BruinDust
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad