Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The reason I wouldn’t do it is because Josh Anderson isn’t a good hockey player any more.

OK.

Just because it’s the bye week and we need stuff to talk about, I’ll throw this out there.

Anderson has 5 less points than Heinen, while playing for a dumpster fire of a team.

Putting contract aside….because if he were to come here during the season, obviously they could fit him in.

Why is it that Anderson couldn’t improve simply by playing for a much, much, much better team?

A short year ago, Anderson had 21 goals…..Heinen had 22 points in a similar number of games. (JA 69, DH 65).

How is it that Anderson is no longer good at hockey and therefore not worth a shot here (assuming the price is reasonable) but you were/are all in on Heinen, despite his abysmal season last year and despite the fact that Heinen isn’t exactly crushing him statistically?

I’m not saying get Anderson at all costs or that he’s guaranteed to produce here, but at least be consistent and fair.

If you’re going to say he’s not good anymore based on a poor 1/2 season with a lousy team, why weren’t you saying the same thing about Heinen after a very poor full season with a much better team last year?

Furthermore, to some (not you, it would seem) the simple fact that Anderson would bring some much needed toughness to the forward group would make him a worthwhile target.

To be clear, I’m not suggesting Anderson replace Heinen, per se.

But, if you’re someone who feels as if Heinen is/was worth taking a shot on, why not Anderson too?

Last edited:
Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
OK.

Just because it’s the bye week and we need stuff to talk about, I’ll throw this out there.

Anderson has 5 less points than Heinen, while playing for a dumpster fire of a team.

Putting contract aside….because if he were to come here during the season, obviously they could fit him in.

Why is it that Anderson couldn’t improve simply by playing for a much, much, much better team?

A short year ago, Anderson had 21 goals…..Heinen had 21 points in a similar number of games. (JA 69, DH 65).

How is it that Anderson is no longer good at hockey and therefore not worth a shot here (assuming the price is reasonable) but you were/are all in on Heinen, despite his abysmal season last year and despite the fact that Heinen isn’t exactly crushing him statistically?

I’m not saying get Anderson at all costs or that he’s guaranteed to produce here, but at least be consistent and fair.

If you’re going to say he’s not good anymore based on a poor 1/2 season with a lousy team, why weren’t you saying the same thing about Heinen after a very poor full season with a much better team last year?

Furthermore, to some (not you, it would seem) the simple fact that Anderson would bring some much needed toughness to the forward group would make him a worthwhile target.

But, if you’re someone who feels as if Heinen is/was worth taking a shot on, why not Anderson too?

I think we need to look more to his future than his present or past.

History teaches us that big guys who play a power game hit the 30 year old mark hard. His stats are ok for a power forward in the regular season but he is a non factor in the playoffs; he has nearly identical production as Heinen in the post season, which isn't saying a whole lot.

What sort of player will Anderson be for the next three seasons? Will he be worth 5.5 a year? I think there's too much risk there for a guy who'll give you 30ish points/150ish hits and a few fights over 60 something games, and that's if he doesn't fall off the 30 year old PF cliff.

Last edited:

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
OK.

A short year ago, Anderson had 21 goals…..Heinen had 21 points in a similar number of games. (JA 69, DH 65).

Because Heinen isn't going to cost 5.5 against the cap for 3 more seasons after this. The assets needed to get MTL to retain any % would be needed to get actual help. You can get someone to fill that tough guy roll for much cheaper. Anderson's best days are behind him imo and doesn't scare anyone on the opposing side

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think we need to look more to his future than his present or past.

History teaches us that big guys who play a power game hit the 30 year old mark hard. His stats are ok for a power forward in the regular season but he is a non factor in the playoffs; he has nearly identical production as Heinen in the post season, which isn't saying a whole lot.

Fair points and I won’t really quibble with any of it…..all I’ll say is that I do think there is something to certain players making the most of being in a better situation and that sometimes a team has a need and needs to take a chance at filling it.

In this case he’d bring size and toughness that, at least I feel they need.

Because Heinen isn't going to cost 5.5 against the cap for 3 more seasons after this. The assets needed to get MTL to retain any % would be needed to get actual help. You can get someone to fill that tough guy roll for much cheaper. Anderson's best days are behind him imo and doesn't scare anyone on the opposing side
Also fair points.

My only comment would be that the OP wasn’t basing his opinion that the B’s shouldn’t pursue Anderson based on his contract.

It was simply a general…he can’t play anymore.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Thanks for the info.

I must say, the more cap space detail I encounter, the more I want to strangle someone from cap geek.

Wake me when it's over.

Which, of course, will never be the case,

1706505822170.png

Reactions: bearcountry17

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Agree 100%, pass big time on Anderson.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Would anyone here trade Mason Lohrei for Lawson Crouse? Let me take that one step further......let's say the rumors of Hanifin only wanting to come to Boston are true, and your top 4 is going to consist of Hanifin-McAvoy-Lindholm-Carlo, would that make it more enticing?

Marchand-Coyle-Pasta
Crouse-Zacha-Debrusk

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Would anyone here trade Mason Lohrei for Lawson Crouse? Let me take that one step further......let's say the rumors of Hanifin only wanting to come to Boston are true, and your top 4 is going to consist of Hanifin-McAvoy-Lindholm-Carlo, would that make it more enticing?

Marchand-Coyle-Pasta
Crouse-Zacha-Debrusk

Yes, but I think it’s more likely to cost more to get him though, even if Arizona was inclined to deal him.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Fair points and I won’t really quibble with any of it…..all I’ll say is that I do think there is something to certain players making the most of being in a better situation and that sometimes a team has a need and needs to take a chance at filling it.

In this case he’d bring size and toughness that, at least I feel they need.

Also fair points.

My only comment would be that the OP wasn’t basing his opinion that the B’s shouldn’t pursue Anderson based on his contract.

It was simply a general…he can’t play anymore.
Of course his contract factors in. He’s playing at a vet minimum contract level - if the argument was about taking him on at that rate, it’s a completely different story. His contract has negative value - Montreal would have to pay to get rid of him. You’d need double retention to even think about it.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
OK.

A short year ago, Anderson had 21 goals…..Heinen had 22 points in a similar number of games. (JA 69, DH 65).

Last year Heinen also played on a team with Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel and others, I would say that Heinen cap hit is a lot less for this year, but I would not mind an type Anderson on the Bruins.....

Reactions: sarge88

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The idea of Josh Anderson is much different than the reality of Josh Anderson. This isn’t remotely close to the player we saw in the playoffs in 19.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Of course his contract factors in. He’s playing at a vet minimum contract level - if the argument was about taking him on at that rate, it’s a completely different story. His contract has negative value - Montreal would have to pay to get rid of him. You’d need double retention to even think about it.

I have no problem with the opinion being that it doesn’t make sense based on his contract, nor do I have an issue with anyone not wanting to pursue him because power forwards tend to hit a wall quickly at around 30.

My only issue is anyone saying he can’t play anymore based on 1/2 a season on a bad team, while at the same time lauding Heinen’s performance, when one could argue that the major difference between the two is the team they are on.

A short 4 months ago, 31 teams passed on Heinen because he was terrible for most of the previous 2 seasons.

In a vacuum, if the contract wasn‘t as prohibitive as it is, I’d have no problem with them giving Anderson a shot.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I have no problem with the opinion being that it doesn’t make sense based on his contract, nor do I have an issue with anyone not wanting to pursue him because power forwards tend to hit a wall quickly at around 30.

My only issue is anyone saying he can’t play anymore based on 1/2 a season on a bad team, while at the same time lauding Heinen’s performance, when one could argue that the major difference between the two is the team they are on.

A short 4 months ago, 31 teams passed on Heinen because he was terrible for most of the previous 2 seasons.

In a vacuum, if the contract wasn‘t as prohibitive as it is, I’d have no problem with them giving Anderson a shot.

Hasn't he had some serious injury issues as well?

Reactions: NDiesel

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

He hasn’t just been bad this year. He’s been bad since he got to Montreal. Talk to a Canadiens fan about it. He’s in the conversation for worst passer in the entire league - 37 assists in 235 games for Montreal which is really hard to do even on purpose. He’s been less than a half a point a game with MTL and is a -56 in 235 games. He’s been bad.

Reactions: bbfan419

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I'll never forget Josh Anderson scoring an OT goal in the Habs playoff run a few years ago and all the usual suspects here were going wild with the "I told you so's" and "Thats the type of player you need to win in the playoffs".

Whats funny about that is he was pointless in the previous 15 or so playoff games during that run prior to that goal. The usual suspects didn't have anything to say about that.

Guys been washed even on Habs teams that were humming all the way to the SCF.

Reactions: bbfan419

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He hasn’t just been bad this year. He’s been bad since he got to Montreal. Talk to a Canadiens fan about it. He’s in the conversation for worst passer in the entire league - 37 assists in 235 games for Montreal which is really hard to do even on purpose. He’s been less than a half a point a game with MTL and is a -56 in 235 games. He’s been bad.

It doesn't seem like he's been on the Habs that long- his fourth season now? Wow. Give me Columbus Josh Anderson any day of the week. Montreal Josh Anderson, no thanks. Every time I've seen him in a Habs game he's been pretty much a non-factor. We get more value for money out of Patrick Brown than Montreal does Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad