Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Ok , here is my thoughts, the talk is Hanifan will be here at the TDL, or offseason. With that in mind that gives you Carlo, Mac, Lindholm, Hanifan that in my mind makes Loheri expendable. Lysell, Mekolov if they can make this team better move them. I would do something like this Lysell or Merko with Loheri and Gryz for X , Anderson with 1 mil retained on Anderson. Now if you need to do an add , I am good with that if it will make it work as long as it is not too crazy. Now I know everyone will rip on the Anderson part but if you had Anderson at 4.5 for 2 years after this season in opinion not bad, and it gives insurance if things do not work out with DeBrusk. Now , shoot holes in it , I can take it ,,,,,hahaha
Anderson sucks. Habs will have to include a 1st to dump that contract.

I like the idea of the left side:
Hanifin
Lindholm
Lohrei

Assuming Hanifin signs 7 years, maybe you only keep Lohrei around for a couple years then move him? Lindholm has NMC/ NTC for another 3 seasons after this one.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Anderson sucks. Habs will have to include a 1st to dump that contract.

I like the idea of the left side:
Hanifin
Lindholm
Lohrei

Assuming Hanifin signs 7 years, maybe you only keep Lohrei around for a couple years then move him? Lindholm has NMC/ NTC for another 3 seasons after this one.
Well if I could get Anderson at 4.5 mil a year, I want him......But my guess is you want to pay a 3o year old plus 8-9 mil for 8 years ......

Reactions: Gordoff

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Well if I could get Anderson at 4.5 mil a year, I want him......But my guess is you want to pay a 3o year old plus 8-9 mil for 8 years ......
Anderson will be 30 four months from now.
In the past 4 seasons he’s failed to eclipse 32 points. He’s scored 20+ goals twice in 10 seasons. He’s a minus player almost every season. He’s played more than 70 games in a season only twice.

Not sure wth you’re referencing in the bolded.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Anderson will be 30 four months from now.
In the past 4 seasons he’s failed to eclipse 32 points. He’s scored 20+ goals twice in 10 seasons. He’s a minus player almost every season. He’s played more than 70 games in a season only twice.

Not sure wth you’re referencing in the bolded.
He plays on shit Montreal teams, I would love to see him play with solid Bruins team,

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He plays on shit Montreal teams, I would love to see him play with solid Bruins team,

It is risky, though. It's not like throwing a flyer at JVR for 1x1 to see if he can be better away from a shit team. It's somewhere between a Beleksey or a Backes risk. Just because those didn't work out, doesn't mean Anderson wouldn't... but man... I would be scared to take a risk on a luxury item like Anderson. Obviously, JVR brings a different element, but I'd rather just bring JVR back (and he will need a raise) then take the risk on Anderson.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
DeBrusk's career averages

.58 PPG
.30 GPG

Over 82 games, that rounds out to 25 goals / 47 points a year.

I felt out of the draft, Marco Sturm was a reasonable comparable for Jake to hit and it seems production wise, it's pretty similar so far. Two streaky scorers who added speed and goal scoring touch to the top 6.
Good comparison and at Jake’s age I thought Marco was still blossoming more than he did. I still think JDB will go higher. I also believe that starting next year 6.5 will project favorably to Sturm”s contract way back when. I have not done the research.

Reactions: PB37

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Good comparison and at Jake’s age I thought Marco was still blossoming more than he did. I still think JDB will go higher. I also believe that starting next year 6.5 will project favorably to Sturm”s contract way back when. I have not done the research.
i looked into this last night cause curious, Sturm's contract would've been around 6mil AAV using the same cap hit % on what the cap ceiling is projected to be this summer. So you are correct.

Reactions: HustleB

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

My memory is failing me, was Sturm ever heavily used for the penalty kill?

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
With what we have right now I’m thinking this is probably our best line up.

Marchand-Coyle-Debrusk
JVR-Zacha-Pastrnak
Frederic-Poitras-Heinen
Lauko-Boqvist-Geekie
Steen

Gryz-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Wotherspoon-Shattenkirk
Forbort
DeBrusk - Zacha - Pasta
Marchand - Coyle - Frederic
JVR - Boquist - Geekie
Lauko/Steen - Poitras/Beecher - Heinen

I generally agree with your D. I’d like to make a deal freeing up cap space and a spot for Lohrei. Gryz or Forbort would go depending on cost/return. I like both but they are our best options for cap maneuverability at the deadline. Even if both stay I believe they find room for Lohrei later as long as he continues to develop.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
It is risky, though. It's not like throwing a flyer at JVR for 1x1 to see if he can be better away from a shit team. It's somewhere between a Beleksey or a Backes risk. Just because those didn't work out, doesn't mean Anderson wouldn't... but man... I would be scared to take a risk on a luxury item like Anderson. Obviously, JVR brings a different element, but I'd rather just bring JVR back (and he will need a raise) then take the risk on Anderson.
Belesky was not the player Anderson is, Backes, unfortunately Sweeney paid Backes for what he did for the Blues he was at the end of his career, and he was for 5 years at 6 mil when he was 32, and believe me I liked Backes, but it was to late in his career. Anderson is 29 and will be 32 when his contract is up, Both players you referenced were slow a foot that is not the case with Anderson.

Reactions: Gordoff

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
My memory is failing me, was Sturm ever heavily used for the penalty kill
I like DeBrusk and I hope they sign him. 6.5 seems perfect for me. If he hits the 7-7.5 range I think he probably goes. Even if we kept him at 7 I won’t be the amongst the ones up and arms but it seems a stretch to me. Particularly given Sweeney’s track record.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I like DeBrusk and I hope they sign him. 6.5 seems perfect for me. If he hits the 7-7.5 range I think he probably goes. Even if we kept him at 7 I won’t be the amongst the ones up and arms but it seems a stretch to me. Particularly given Sweeney’s track record.
6.5 definitely looks like the night number. Not going to bellyache over ~$500k to get to the $6m I think he's truly worth today- he's still young and even an 8 year deal only takes him to 33. Think it'll be favorable long-term with the cap going up.

Hoping Don can work his re-sign magic and get him around that 6.25 - 6.5m with some favorable trade/bonus/etc. terms for him. He'd certainly get over 7 on the market... But that's a bit much for me.

Reactions: HustleB

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
How do we feel about Patrik Laine? Haven’t watched a lot of Columbus but he was super electric in Winnipeg.

Might be fun to add another A++ shooter to the mix
He might be the laziest player in pro sports. Makes Alex Kovalev look like Patrice Bergeron

know you dont like it but exactly where does he play usually?
Don Sweeney played "top pair minutes" with Bourque for years, did not make him top pair D or even decent.

Reactions: sarge88 and Bodit9

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He might be the laziest player in pro sports. Makes Alex Kovalev look like Patrice Bergeron

Don Sweeney played "top pair minutes" with Bourque for years, did not make him top pair D or even decent.

First off, agree with you on Laine. That dude floats on top of his floating. On Don Sweeney, though, I get you didn't care for his game, but no one plays over 1100 games in the NHL if they are not better than decent. He was a good defenseman. Maybe not what the Bruins needed at times, and certainly not to your stylistic taste, but again, his career testifies to his abilities.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
6.5 definitely looks like the night number. Not going to bellyache over ~$500k to get to the $6m I think he's truly worth today- he's still young and even an 8 year deal only takes him to 33. Think it'll be favorable long-term with the cap going up.

Hoping Don can work his re-sign magic and get him around that 6.25 - 6.5m with some favorable trade/bonus/etc. terms for him. He'd certainly get over 7 on the market... But that's a bit much for me.
Well said.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Guys who excel no matter their linemates. Boston is lucky to have many -- look how Frederic is blossoming this year.

Complimentary players are imprortant too (look at Hyman's production in Edmonton) but I hesitate to pay them a premium.
I only ask because I believe most line drivers are probably paid a hell of a lot more than Debrusk would get - perhaps our definition is different because I'm not sure I'd put a 30-40 point guy in Frederic in that category.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
I only ask because I believe most line drivers are probably paid a hell of a lot more than Debrusk would get - perhaps our definition is different because I'm not sure I'd put a 30-40 point guy in Frederic in that category.
Maybe it's the wrong term, but hopefully you see my point. Debrusk has only excelled in specific instances, and has always been on shaky ground as to being in the top six or PP1.

As we've seen this season, there are plenty of bargain options that are dropped around the league who can play complimentary roles.

Reactions: NDiesel

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
First off, agree with you on Laine. That dude floats on top of his floating. On Don Sweeney, though, I get you didn't care for his game, but no one plays over 1100 games in the NHL if they are not better than decent. He was a good defenseman. Maybe not what the Bruins needed at times, and certainly not to your stylistic taste, but again, his career testifies to his abilities.
Valid point on Sweeney. In many ways I feel the same about both of them, good 5/6 D's, Grizz badly overpaid for what he brings, Sweeney got to much ice time in.a mich different era. Both also essentially replaced smaller defenseman I liked, Krug and Hawgood.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Maybe it's the wrong term, but hopefully you see my point. Debrusk has only excelled in specific instances, and has always been on shaky ground as to being in the top six or PP1.

As we've seen this season, there are plenty of bargain options that are dropped around the league who can play complimentary roles.

I'm not sure if I understand the idea that Debrusk only excels with good linemates that gets thrown around here. Bruins have only ever had good top 2 centers here since he came into the league.When he was put on the 4th to start the year as a " show me " move by Cassidy, DeBrusk played at a 35/40 point pace with Nosek and Lazer as his linemates before bumping up to the 1st line.

He had an awful stretch that lasted a year and a half but outside of that for his career, he's around 40-50 points and 25 goals. I think sometimes people have a hard time separating 2020 DeBrusk from 2024 JDB. He's a much more engaged player in all facets of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad