Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

friendofcharliecoyle

Nov 24, 2023
i agree with trading him in the off season but how do you trade ullmark without the swayman deal done? im all in favor of signing swayman to a nice big contract because hes that good but hes already stated hes not taking a discount and you would give him 10000% leverage if ullmark is gone. not to mention that if he doesnt sign, we would have no nhl goalies.

friendofcharliecoyle

Nov 24, 2023
also, trading jake is similarly impossible. jake would be a valuable player on the leafs or the oilers or the avalanche if hes for cheap and is in a kind of zach hyman role playing with overpaid superstars. but what is coming back? how would you replace him for the playoffs and beyond? hopefully once his deal gets done he relaxes and starts scoring goals again. obviously the inconsistency is a concern but hes also been relatively clutch in the playoffs so i dont see how you would deal him.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
My immediate move:
Gryz + Forbort + Steen +2025 1st for Jake Middleton + Brandon Duhaime
Why? We gain 3.93 in cap space, Middleton comes over and joins Lindholm and a called up Mason Lohrei for the left side, alongside Wortherspoon as the depth LD. Him and Lohrei can rotate in and out depending on who plays the best. Minny can flip both Gryz and Forbort for picks or look to sign them, whatever they prefer. Say they get a 2nd for Gryz and a 3rd for Forbort, that's a nice haul- 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Middleton and Duheime.

Linus Ullmark + Jake Debrusk (30% retained) for Evander Kane + Calvin Pickard + 2024 1st + 2025 1st
Deal dependent on Debrusk re-upping in Edmonton obviously. Boston adds some grit in Kane in the top 6 and gets back in the 1st round for both this year and next.

Marchy-Coyle-Pasta
Kane-Zacha-Lysell
JVR-Geekie-Freddy
Heinen-Beecher-Duheime
Lauko

Lohrei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Middleton-Shatty
Wortherspoon

Swayman
Pickard

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

David Pastrnak was not at practice Wednesday morning, a day after the Bruins’ leading scorer played more than 22 minutes in a 3-2 shootout loss to the Lightning.

“He’s just maintenance,” said coach Jim Montgomery. “He played 23 minutes, just tend to have a little muscle soreness when you play that many minutes. So we just wanted to back off.”

Pastrnak was in clear discomfort as he headed down the tunnel following a check into the boards by Tampa Bay’s Victor Hedman late in the second period. It looked as though Pastrnak’s upper body got twisted awkwardly as he hit the boards.

Pastrnak, who assisted on both Boston goals and has 33 goals and 77 points on the season, took his regular shifts in the third period and pronounced himself fine after the game.

“It’s just hockey,” he said. “You always have these tiny injuries, but I came back, so I was good.”

They worked on their power play during the second half of Wednesday’s session at Warrior Arena, with Kevin Shattenkirk elevated to the top unit with Brad Marchand, Pavel Zacha, James van Riemsdyk, and Charlie McAvoy.

“I was doing my Pasta over there,” joked Shattenkirk, who normally mans the point on the second unit but played the left elbow on the top quintet in Pastrnak’s place.

“I was joking around with Brandon Carlo a couple of weeks ago. I said, ‘Quit hiding out down there and come play against the second unit if you really want to test,’ ” Shattenkirk said. “And I told him today, I’m like, ‘Now I know why I don’t want to play against you on the power play.’

“But no, it was good. I think both units operate a lot differently and I think they probably realize that they’re giving the puck to a lot different guy than Pasta. But it was fun. It was fun to just snap it around with them for the day. And I’m sure he’ll be back in his regular spot.”

The coach doesn’t believe wholesale changes are needed, and Wednesday’s session was about reinforcing their power-play principles.

“We were just getting back to our structure,” said Montgomery. “Coach [Chris] Kelly met with them before practice and showed clips of them when we’re rolling and lately, the difference of coming together on breakouts and executing and finishing our routes on entries and then the quicker puck movement and getting pucks to high-grade scoring areas and how we’ve done it.”

Despite the recent struggles, the Bruins power play is still ranked eighth in the NHL at 24 percent.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
We can't have Beecher. He's being punished for...something...I dunno. I guess being good on the dot, having wheels and a willingness to use your frame to separate opponents from pucks are all somehow negatives when the immortal Jesper Boqvist is waiting in the wings?

Agree on Lysell. At some point you need to see what you have there at this level.
I agree on the Beecher take, with one exception he needs to use that big frame a little more, he and his teammates would benefit from it. When you have a big body like Beecher and he uses his body it can open up the ice for him and his teammates, sometimes a few well placed body checks can make a huge difference, and I am not talking about fighting, just give the opponents something to think about. Is Lysell ready, is his value at its highest, ? Do you bring him up and he blossoms fine but if not do we have another wasted draft pick, or do we move him now and get some value out of him in a deal.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
This top 9 just feels like such a no brainer to at least try for a little while. I really don't understand the hesitation to just give their top prospect some games.
Lysell has not proven that he is a no brainer. I am a show me first type guy, before I say it is a no brainer.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Ullmark isn’t moving until the summer at the absolute earliest, idk why people are seriously discussing it

Also nobody is trading a 1C for him unless he’s part of a big package

Reactions: RoccoF14

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Different stage my friend, and don't get you panties in a bunch, all I asked is he ready, sorry I did not announce him as a Hart Trophy winner.............And I have seen him play

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Strange how quiet the trade deadline thread is this year compared to those in the years before. Unfortunately the insiders were pushed away by a few posters and everybody has to live with the consequences of this ...
What consequences? Waiting for an actual trade to happen? The good that comes out of it is we don't have to read 500 posts on what may or may not happen.

Personally I don't mind the very little chatter, I love the big surprise out of nowhere

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

David Pastrnak was not at practice Wednesday morning, a day after the Bruins’ leading scorer played more than 22 minutes in a 3-2 shootout loss to the Lightning.

“He’s just maintenance,” said coach Jim Montgomery. “He played 23 minutes, just tend to have a little muscle soreness when you play that many minutes. So we just wanted to back off.”

Pastrnak was in clear discomfort as he headed down the tunnel following a check into the boards by Tampa Bay’s Victor Hedman late in the second period. It looked as though Pastrnak’s upper body got twisted awkwardly as he hit the boards.

Pastrnak, who assisted on both Boston goals and has 33 goals and 77 points on the season, took his regular shifts in the third period and pronounced himself fine after the game.

“It’s just hockey,” he said. “You always have these tiny injuries, but I came back, so I was good.”

They worked on their power play during the second half of Wednesday’s session at Warrior Arena, with Kevin Shattenkirk elevated to the top unit with Brad Marchand, Pavel Zacha, James van Riemsdyk, and Charlie McAvoy.

“I was doing my Pasta over there,” joked Shattenkirk, who normally mans the point on the second unit but played the left elbow on the top quintet in Pastrnak’s place.

“I was joking around with Brandon Carlo a couple of weeks ago. I said, ‘Quit hiding out down there and come play against the second unit if you really want to test,’ ” Shattenkirk said. “And I told him today, I’m like, ‘Now I know why I don’t want to play against you on the power play.’

“But no, it was good. I think both units operate a lot differently and I think they probably realize that they’re giving the puck to a lot different guy than Pasta. But it was fun. It was fun to just snap it around with them for the day. And I’m sure he’ll be back in his regular spot.”

The coach doesn’t believe wholesale changes are needed, and Wednesday’s session was about reinforcing their power-play principles.

“We were just getting back to our structure,” said Montgomery. “Coach [Chris] Kelly met with them before practice and showed clips of them when we’re rolling and lately, the difference of coming together on breakouts and executing and finishing our routes on entries and then the quicker puck movement and getting pucks to high-grade scoring areas and how we’ve done it.”

Despite the recent struggles, the Bruins power play is still ranked eighth in the NHL at 24 percent.
Did he say Kelly was giving advice on the PP structure ? God help us.

Reactions: Ozzy Osbourne

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
What consequences? Waiting for an actual trade to happen? The good that comes out of it is we don't have to read 500 posts on what may or may not happen.

Personally I don't mind the very little chatter, I love the big surprise out of nowhere

Consequences are to be complete in the dark about what is happening. Personally I loved to read those hints about talks and potential trade partners because you knew there was truth in it (Lindholm trade for example). I still like this place but the board seriously lost some quality because of this ..

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I agree on the Beecher take, with one exception he needs to use that big frame a little more, he and his teammates would benefit from it. When you have a big body like Beecher and he uses his body it can open up the ice for him and his teammates, sometimes a few well placed body checks can make a huge difference, and I am not talking about fighting, just give the opponents something to think about. Is Lysell ready, is his value at its highest, ? Do you bring him up and he blossoms fine but if not do we have another wasted draft pick, or do we move him now and get some value out of him in a deal.
Agree but I think he was getting to it. I don’t remember what game it was. He might of actually been playing the wing but he laid someone out behind the net with probably one of the best body checks of the year and then poof he was gone.

I just don’t think his play determined to be sent down. Maybe sat a game or two as most rookies do but he brought value to the 4th line IMO

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I agree he should get his chance. AHL success doesn't always mean NHL success, so need to see if his game translates to NHL play.
He may have the talent to play 'right now', but is his body ready to handle the punishment that comes with it. It's a double edged sword ... damned if you do damned if you don't - there is always a risk of injury but development in the A is as much physical as it is overall game understanding.
And who does Boston currently have that is a deterrent to other teams taking runs at players?

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
He may have the talent to play 'right now', but is his body ready to handle the punishment that comes with it. It's a double edged sword ... damned if you do damned if you don't - there is always a risk of injury but development in the A is as much physical as it is overall game understanding.
And who does Boston currently have that is a deterrent to other teams taking runs at players?
Yeah, looking back at the draft now... How good of a pick would Zach L'Heureux been there? Kid is mean and talented.

Reactions: Troublesome 85

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Don't trade Ullmark until Sway is resigned. Hoping the Richard call up is to hype him as a bit part of a bigger package trade, same goes for Boqvist and Steen seeing NHL ice....or just as fodder for mid/low draft picks deadline trades....none of these 3 are long term solutions. Glad Lysell hasn't been called up yet, let him simmer, give him a taste after trade deadline.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Lysell has not proven that he is a no brainer. I am a show me first type guy, before I say it is a no brainer.
Going off his AHL seasons he is as close to a no brainer as one could get with prospects. Nothing is a given, but it's hard not to be giddy over his potential

Reactions: FrankerC

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Trading Ullmark right now would make zero sense. He still has a season left and has trade protection for half the teams. The tandem is unique in the league and you keep it together. It's not like the Bruins are struggling to make the playoffs

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
-
Well how is he supposed to show you if the org won't give him a f***ing chance. I'm not saying Lysell is gonna step in and start putting up a PPG, but giving your top prospect a look in the NHL when there's a clear need for a player like him rn is a no brainer to me.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad