Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Kuemper got a top 10 protected 1st, a 3rd, and Connor Timmins when he was traded on an expiring contract in 2021. Idk why Ullmark would would get less then that with the cap going up and like half the teams in the league in need of stable goaltending.
Great exemple, and the fact that a lot of teams need good goaltending, at least a 1st pick and a solide prospect...

Reactions: Gordoff

FRyan4426

Feb 15, 2023
Kingston, MA
The issues with the Ullmark trade are both his NMC, who knows what that list is. You don’t want to trade him within the East(least of my worries because he stinks in the playoffs) and then there’s finding a team that wants to pay for a goalie. EDM has Skinner and Pickard playing great. CHI just re-signed Mrazek. That leaves

New Jersey(They want Maarkstrom)
Detroit(paying Husso already)
Philly
Kings?

Philly makes sense with Hart done.

Who knows.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I do feel like as a fan base we don’t give enough thought to the idea that Swayman might be the guy that ends up being moved. No trade protection and would fetch a f*** load. Not saying you AIM to do that, but you can’t just assume that moving Ullmark is the only possible right move either.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I do feel like as a fan base we don’t give enough thought to the idea that Swayman might be the guy that ends up being moved. No trade protection and would fetch a f*** load. Not saying you AIM to do that, but you can’t just assume that moving Ullmark is the only possible right move either.
I’d hope not. He just turned 25 two months ago, and is arguably a top 5 goaltender in the league already. It’d take a rare player for me to be okay with them moving Swayman.

I’d try to pry Byfield from LA for Ullmark +

Last edited:
Reactions: HustleB and Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Fair enough. I could be persuaded that Ullmark might fetch a low 1st. The thing I think you need to consider here however, is whether or not:

1. Would you/Boston be willing to trade Ullmark this year to a playoff team who needs a goalie? (Jersey/Carolina/Colorado?) I don't see it happening.
2. Would a team out of contention be on Ullmark's MNTC, and would they be willing to give up that much?

This is a very different situation than Arizona dumping assets to the highest bidder.
Couldn't he be traded to a non-playoff bound team and then re-traded to a team that's on his no trade list? Doesn't the no-trade protection automatically get dropped once a player is traded?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’d hope not. He just turned 25 two months ago, and is arguably a top 5 goaltender in the league already. It’d take a rare player for me to be okay with them moving Swayman.

I’d try to pry Byfield from LA for Ullmark +

One year of 30 year old Ullmark ain’t getting you that. But could Swayman? Again, I love Swayman. He game. His vibe. His age. All of it. Just saying we shouldn’t be shocked if it goes that way. And the return would be huge.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
We can't have Beecher. He's being punished for...something...I dunno. I guess being good on the dot, having wheels and a willingness to use your frame to separate opponents from pucks are all somehow negatives when the immortal Jesper Boqvist is waiting in the wings?

Agree on Lysell. At some point you need to see what you have there at this level.

we've been over this....

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
we've been over this....
We've been over (and over) a lot of things, why should this be any different? Unless you're getting back a NEED for Beecher and now Wennberg from Seattle I stand pat with him. He's a middle 6 center btw. We have a few of those now.

It's not like he's a faceoff master either since he's in the mid-upper 40s % wise.
I guess he kills penalties and is a "pass first" type of player.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Reactions: Mione134 and CDJ

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We've been over (and over) a lot of things, why should this be any different? Unless you're getting back a NEED for Beecher and now Wennberg from Seattle I stand pat with him. He's a middle 6 center btw.

4.5 million for Wennberg. Even if you get 50% retained that's a ton of cash to free up. Would need to move Gryz or Forbort (or DeBrusk, but then you kill the team)

We can’t afford Beecher right now. Or Lysell. We don’t have the cap space unless we run 12 forwards. Won’t change until after Lucic is figured out.

What's worse is it gets worse when Lucic gets figured out If he is suddenly not on LTIR that puts the bruins in a bad spot that waiving him doesn't even help with

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
4.5 million for Wennberg. Even if you get 50% retained that's a ton of cash to free up. Would need to move Gryz or Forbort (or DeBrusk, but then you kill the team)

What's worse is it gets worse when Lucic gets figured out If he is suddenly not on LTIR that puts the bruins in a bad spot that waiving him doesn't even help with
I’m pretty sure that’s why they haven’t put Poitras on LTIR yet

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
We can’t afford Beecher right now. Or Lysell. We don’t have the cap space unless we run 12 forwards. Won’t change until after Lucic is figured out.
I understand re; the Cap etc. I'm not really explaining what I'm trying to say correctly. I'm not too worried about right now, I'm actually more concerned with losing Beecher. He isn't dynamic in goal scoring but his ability to win faceoffs hasn't been too shabby and he's somewhat physical and moves around the ice with pace.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
So it seems like there is broad agreement that they need to add cheap depth guys that are not soft to the lineup.

Is there agreement that this player has to be someone that you can play 8-10 minutes a game and not be essentially playing 5 on 4 for and extra 8-10 minutes a game? e.g. guys of the Reaves and Maroon ilk are a no-go? Or is that up for contention still?

There is still disagreement on if paying a premium (1st+ or Lysell+) for Middleton.

There is still disagreement on if spending to get Hanifin now or crossing fingers is the right move.

Does that all sound right?

My opinion? They essentially need to do the Orlov/Hathaway trade again but with Hanifin and Duhaime as the targets in different deals. If you can add a second Duhaime type or a mean guy that can kick Shattenkirk out of the lineup, too, that would be cool.
I did not look this up but I believe Pat Maroon with 16 points has more points than our fourth line combined. It is a moot point as he is out for six weeks.

Grizz and a pick to Nashville for Lauzon, Smith and McCarron. One player sent down and they are cap compliant.

DeBrusk says he wants to see what his market value is, off to Washington for a newly signed Tom Wilson. Wilson is more consistent and 10 times more physical. Bruins probably will have to add.

Grizz to SJ, DuClair and Kunin to Bost. Prospects ( not including Lysell or Lohrei) and non first round picks to Philly for Nick Seeler.

IMHO any one of those trades makes the Bruins better this year and does not hinder future development.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
trading Debrusk for Tom Wilson would be very bad, better off just giving Debrusk Wilson’s contract

He’s 30 and has seen his production decline coming back from major injury, and the extension hasn’t even kicked in yet. It’s a recipe for disaster, especially since the game he plays leads to more wear and tear. I like the other ideas though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad