Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The second PP goal for Tampa came because Forbort passed the puck directly to Kucherov who was 10 feet in front of him and put Heinen in a bad position. Because no player would expect a pass to be made there.
Yea that was a bad play but I was happy with his game for most part last nite .The powerplay not clicking hurts this team bigtime .

Reactions: Gordoff and HustleB

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
If Pasta is out injured:

Marchy Coyle Lysell
Debrusk Zacha Frederic
JVR Geekie Heinen
Lauko Beecher Kuntar

Land to the moon : Steen, Boqvist, hope never see them again in this team
Yea saw today at practice Lauko was filling on 2nd line.Scratched last night to 2nd line would be an accomplishment :laugh::huh:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Yea saw today at practice Lauko was filling on 2nd line.Scratched last night to 2nd line would be an accomplishment :laugh::huh:

I like Lauko (or more accurately, like what he could be).

I simply don’t understand how he doesn’t play all out, every single shift.

With his size and speed he should be making a difference every game with a hard hit, forechecking pressure, the odd goal or assist, drawing a penalty, etc.

Unfortunately, too often he just seems to be going through the motions.

Reactions: Gordoff

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I was looking at some stats this morning and found something I think is interesting. Among all lines in the entire league with at least 50min played together, JVR-Geekie-Frederic is currently 3rd in xGF/60 and 11th in overall xG%. Small sample size, but that's a difference making 3rd line.

Also Marchand-Coyle-Pasta is top 30 in xGF/60 while getting much harder deployment and match-ups, which puts it right in line with other top lines throughout the league.

So basically we have a legit top line in Marchand-Coyle-Pasta, and a legit difference making third line in JVR-Geekie-Freddy. Find a guy that can play with Zacha and Debrusk and get them producing and we have a legit top 9. If I'm in the front office I'm calling up Lysell ASAP to see if he can be that guy before going to try and find him on the trade market.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I like Lauko (or more accurately, like what he could be).

I simply don’t understand how he doesn’t play all out, every single shift.

With his size and speed he should be making a difference every game with a hard hit, forechecking pressure, the odd goal or assist, drawing a penalty, etc.

Unfortunately, too often he just seems to be going through the motions.
The players need to be in sync as a unit and know who is going who is breaking off to make layers etc.Timing is everything when attempting hits at this level.Not saying your not correct about effort every shift etc, Just saying that linemates not in tune can throw things out of wack.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
He's a UFA so he's not going to be dealt at the draft. They're not going to pay to move him, and won't need to as a UFA. If a deal is made for a top four LD, either Grizz or Forbort would go back to even the money out. That's how it would work. Forbort has been worse than Grizz the last 4-6 weeks.
To me you go with gryz and mcavoy for better or for worse. I'm not trading for Hanifin (UFA sure) and I am holding my young guys and what little picks I have left. 5v5 playoff hockey is not like it was in the 80's, and Gryz will be fine as he was games 3-4 vs Florida, in Florida when they had last change. I think the first line is going to need Gryz's quick transition to do well this year even strength. He and even Reilly did well vs Carolina the year before and Matt was injured

Reactions: Dr Hook

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I guess if you're a 5'9" NHL defenseman and your teammates won't stick up for you, going Ken Linsemen on someone may be the last resort.
He took a very ordinary hit from a forechecker, there was nothing there that warranted a response. I don't think Gryz even meant to spear him, he looked like he was just trying to tie up his stick and just caught him in the wrong spot.

I get that "lack of repsonse" is the topic of the week, but can we stop acting like someone needs to drop the gloves every time someone on the bruins falls down.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He took a very ordinary hit from a forechecker, there was nothing there that warranted a response. I don't think Gryz even meant to spear him, he looked like he was just trying to tie up his stick and just caught him in the wrong spot.

I get that "lack of repsonse" is the topic of the week, but can we stop acting like someone needs to drop the gloves every time someone on the bruins falls down.

That's not my view at all.

Reactions: TobanWest

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So it seems like there is broad agreement that they need to add cheap depth guys that are not soft to the lineup.

Is there agreement that this player has to be someone that you can play 8-10 minutes a game and not be essentially playing 5 on 4 for and extra 8-10 minutes a game? e.g. guys of the Reaves and Maroon ilk are a no-go? Or is that up for contention still?

There is still disagreement on if paying a premium (1st+ or Lysell+) for Middleton.

There is still disagreement on if spending to get Hanifin now or crossing fingers is the right move.

Does that all sound right?

My opinion? They essentially need to do the Orlov/Hathaway trade again but with Hanifin and Duhaime as the targets in different deals. If you can add a second Duhaime type or a mean guy that can kick Shattenkirk out of the lineup, too, that would be cool.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why would anyone trade for him after the season when they can sign him for free?

it happens from time to time, but you are talking about a 5-7 round pick at that point. teams sometimes want that exclusive negotiating window.

As opposed to the deadline where his value in theory should be a #1 and a B prospect, or an NHLer

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
I honestly think they need at least 2 for the bottom lines. I'm hoping for a veteran presence type and mid-age grinder. It would be nice to have Steen, Richard, Brown, and Boqvist not seeing ice time come playoffs as they don't provide a ton of team value imo. I also do not think a Hanifin trade should happen if all signs point to him coming to Boston next year anyway. Wasting assets for a sure deal.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
At the end of the day, they need to do something with our bottom six. Boqvist, Richard and Steen just simply aren’t cutting it. They need some more attitude and physicality. Gryz needs to go.

As others have said, the whole Lucic thing and even Greer being claimed isn’t entirely on Sweeney but it’s his job now to rectify it. Not to mention, they still need a top six forward and a hard-nosed defenseman.

The fact Beecher is still in the minors is insane. Same with Lysell, Lohrei and to a lesser extent Kuntar and even Regula. We have no idea what we have in these guys but want to send assets out for a guy like Duhaime (who I like) but is it even worth it when you may have someone in the minors who could fill that role?

I guess I may be a ‘play the kids’ guy but it’s suppose to be a retool year and we’ve drifted away from it and now NHL spots are being occupied by JAGS (with all due respect). TDL is around the corner, could we at least get 10 games to see what we have in some of these prospects before making any huge decisions

Marchand Coyle Pastrnak
Debrusk Zacha Lysell
JVR Geekie Frederic
Heinen Beecher Lauko/Kuntar

Lohrei McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Forbort Regula

Thomas 11

Apr 15, 2018
Alberta Beach, Alberta
The second PP goal for Tampa came because Forbort passed the puck directly to Kucherov who was 10 feet in front of him and put Heinen in a bad position. Because no player would expect a pass to be made there.
He has not been good since his return. I’ve never seen someone pass to the other team more than Forbert. Don’t mind him as a 6/7, but he can’t carry a 3 rd pairing.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Guess this guy doesn't know Maroon is injuried.

Didn't think it was a good time to retaliate last night, tie game in the 3rd period against a team with the best PP in the league.

Why has there been no mention of Grz taking care of his own business by spearing Pacioretty?
Have watched that replay numerous times I really never saw a spear ,more like brought the stick up into his groin.

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook

FRyan4426

Feb 15, 2023
Kingston, MA
They badly need to infuse something. Forwards are totally lifeless. D was more involved last night which was good to see. Pasta isn’t right. They need to figure out who they’re going to move on D. For my it’s Gryz. While Lohrei is an issue in his own end, his offensive creativity is needed. Would also open money to make actual roster moves!!

Trade Gryz for picks
Call up Beecher Lysell Lohrei
Bye Bye Steen Boqvist

I’d trade Ullmark but no idea what for. Only issue trading him is possibly upsetting the room

DeBrusk Zacha Pasta
Marchand Coyle Lysell
JVR Geekie Freddy
Heinen Beech Lauko/Trade

Lohrei/Mac
Lindholm/Carlo
Spoon/Forbort/Shat/Trade.

Sway
Ullmark??

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
To blame Forbort for that is a stretch. If your referencing right before the goal there was no pass to Heinen he was just swatting at the puck trying to clear it and it doesn’t look like he made contact. Heinen then came in and also swatted at the puck trying to get it out of the crease but happened to put it right on Kuchs stixk.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
To blame Forbort for that is a stretch. If your referencing right before the goal there was no pass to Heinen he was just swatting at the puck trying to clear it and it doesn’t look like he made contact. Heinen then came in and also swatted at the puck trying to get it out of the crease but happened to put it right on Kuchs stixk.
No the play that led to the penalty was because Forbort just passed it to the other team 10 feet in front of him.

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA

Yeah, Gryz was rushing to get back out in front of the net to tie up Patches because it looked like the Capital's defenseman was going to get the puck, and shoot it on net, but the puck ended up going by the Dman at the point. He was looking out towards the point where the puck was when he collided with Patcheretti.

Reactions: Dr Hook and dugg133

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
We could get Ryan Reeves. The man should scare the shit out of the opponents with his post game quotes. The man‘s talk game is savage these days.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
At the end of the day, they need to do something with our bottom six. Boqvist, Richard and Steen just simply aren’t cutting it. They need some more attitude and physicality. Gryz needs to go.

As others have said, the whole Lucic thing and even Greer being claimed isn’t entirely on Sweeney but it’s his job now to rectify it. Not to mention, they still need a top six forward and a hard-nosed defenseman.

The fact Beecher is still in the minors is insane. Same with Lysell, Lohrei and to a lesser extent Kuntar and even Regula. We have no idea what we have in these guys but want to send assets out for a guy like Duhaime (who I like) but is it even worth it when you may have someone in the minors who could fill that role?

I guess I may be a ‘play the kids’ guy but it’s suppose to be a retool year and we’ve drifted away from it and now NHL spots are being occupied by JAGS (with all due respect). TDL is around the corner, could we at least get 10 games to see what we have in some of these prospects before making any huge decisions

Marchand Coyle Pastrnak
Debrusk Zacha Lysell
JVR Geekie Frederic
Heinen Beecher Lauko/Kuntar

Lohrei McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Forbort Regula
We can't have Beecher. He's being punished for...something...I dunno. I guess being good on the dot, having wheels and a willingness to use your frame to separate opponents from pucks are all somehow negatives when the immortal Jesper Boqvist is waiting in the wings?

Agree on Lysell. At some point you need to see what you have there at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad