Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I just do not believe this roster is better with Steen/Boqvist over Beecher and Richard over Lysell. And we have the cap space to fit them if they just ltir Poitras. I do not get the logic of blocking your own top prospects with low upside vets who aren't even playing well.
Easy solution would be to put Poitras and try to put Lucic on LTIR to save cap space. I'll leave the capology to Gold and the rest of management who have tried to bank cap space as much as possible as we've seen with paper transactions of players going up and down from the NHL to AHL etc.

With assistant GMs from Buffalo, Calgary, and Columbus visiting Boston the last few games and with the rumor of Boston being a team in on an extended Elias Lindholm, my assumption is that Sweeney is looking to make a trade.

Reactions: bbfan419

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
So how do you measure "toughness" on a roster? Short of people's "eye test" and opinion, what exactly is the measure you, me, or any NHL GM should use to determine whether or not a player/roster is tough enough?

Not trying to turn this into an analytics thing (I'm not a fan), however there has to be SOME way to determine whether your roster is tough enough, that's better than watching the NHL highlights and forming an opinion?
This is easy imo.

Two things. One, you are hitting other teams more than you are being hit (and preferably by a wide margin) and two, some of those hits are hard enough they result in opposition players being shaken up and/or other teams are responding to those moments with dropped gloves (which you also handle).
You can add in responding when your team is hit hard, but that won't happen as often if you are the initiator with the first two things on a regular basis.

This is what we were when we won the cup. This is what St. Louis was when we lost it.

Lucic needs to be replaced. I think it's that simple.

Reactions: sarge88 and Gordoff

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
This is easy imo.

Two things. One, you are hitting other teams more than you are being hit (and preferably by a wide margin) and two, some of those hits are hard enough they result in opposition players being shaken up and/or...

This is what we were when we won the cup. This is what St. Louis was when we lost it.

Hopefully by Lucic himself. If not, Donnie has until March 8th

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

You're highlighting an instance where having the best PP resulted in not advancing or winning the Cup.

I'm highlighting two instances where having a team that was tough to play against and the most intimidating team in the league didn't result in advancing or winning the Cup.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022

Is that even a possibility?

You're right though, Kolesar on Tkachuk was definitely a prime example. The reverse was Tkachuk on Hathaway, which pretty much took Hathaway's effectiveness out of the series.

You're highlighting an instance where having the best PP resulted in not advancing or winning the Cup.

I'm highlighting two instances where having a team that was tough to play against and the most intimidating team in the league didn't result in advancing or winning the Cup.
Well big and tough have won more often than lost. There are very few exceptions where a smaller non physical team has gone all the way.

Reactions: Gordoff

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Sure but they love him in Buffalo last I checked. I think he’d be expensive. He’s under control for 2 more years. I’d give up Lysell and more but Tuch will bring back a boatload if he does get moved. I assume the Bruins would be outbid on this one.
Trading lysell is ludicrous. No way. Kids gonna be a good one.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Exactly. If you can't look at 2011, and then 2019 or the current team and realize in the first 2 minutes of a game which team is the hammer and which is the nail, I don't know what to say. It's obvious. In 2011, Lucic slapped down Burrows, Ference ridiculed a Sedin for flopping, Thomas decked another one and Billy Smith'd Burrows in the crease. In 2019, Maroon taunted our bench and nobody did shit.

Vancouver Canucks aren't finished emulating the 2011 Boston Bruins.
Signing Phil the Thrill! Not that he was on the team in the cup run but
he is an experienced multiple Cup winner who brings experience and
attitude (albeit a fun loving one). IMO the 'Nucks figured out that you need all elements to win the Cup, let's see how far they get.
Link:

Reactions: jgatie

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Free "tough" guy available and the rest of the league lets you know their view on "toughness"
Yeah, nobody wants fake, makes sense. The need is for a couple of truly tough SOB's, and one #1 center. IMO the tough guys are easier to find than a #1 right now so that's step one.
This team has all of the other elements pretty much just those 2 outstanding needs.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Dominato on waivers yesterday...

6'2 all-around Center who clears today and now the rest of the league lets us know their view on Centers!!

He must have been referring to Dominic Toninato who was put on waivers by Winnipeg a couple of days ago and cleared. No big surprise for a guy with career totals of 13 goals and 22 assists in 184 NHL games.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Easy solution would be to put Poitras and try to put Lucic on LTIR to save cap space. I'll leave the capology to Gold and the rest of management who have tried to bank cap space as much as possible as we've seen with paper transactions of players going up and down from the NHL to AHL etc.

With assistant GMs from Buffalo, Calgary, and Columbus visiting Boston the last few games and with the rumor of Boston being a team in on an extended Elias Lindholm, my assumption is that Sweeney is looking to make a trade.
How does the team put Lucic on LTIR with his stupid behavior? Has nothing to do with injury.

Probably more likely his contract would be terminated. He'll be a very lucky man if has an opportunity to play hockey again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Absurdity and CDJ

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
This is easy imo.

Two things. One, you are hitting other teams more than you are being hit (and preferably by a wide margin) and two, some of those hits are hard enough they result in opposition players being shaken up and/or other teams are responding to those moments with dropped gloves (which you also handle).
You can add in responding when your team is hit hard, but that won't happen as often if you are the initiator with the first two things on a regular basis.

Also signs that your team isn’t tough:

You let Matthew tkachuk try and fight your goalie multiple times in a playoff series without responding.

Last edited:

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I've asked this already but I'll ask again and hope someone knows........Lucic trial set for this Friday. If he's found guilty, does that mean the team can void his contract which would give them some more cap space? On the flip side, if he's found innocent, is there a chance he returns to the Bruins this season?

On my first point about voiding the contract, it urks me that the three best players (with any future on the big club) on the Providence team, Merkulov, Lysell and Beecher make too much to be called up.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I've asked this already but I'll ask again and hope someone knows........Lucic trial set for this Friday. If he's found guilty, does that mean the team can void his contract which would give them some more cap space? On the flip side, if he's found innocent, is there a chance he returns to the Bruins this season?

On my first point about voiding the contract, it urks me that the three best players (with any future on the big club) on the Providence team, Merkulov, Lysell and Beecher make too much to be called up.

Lucic is still on LTIR so them voiding his contract wouldn't matter than much.

I just can't imagine he is going to ever suit up for the Bruins.

Reactions: sarge88 and HustleB

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

It’s a lot harder to knock someone else down, or score goals when you’re on you ass or are spending time looking around to see where the next hit is coming from.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
How does the team put Lucic on LTIR with his stupid behavior? Has nothing to do with injury.

Probably more likely his contract would be terminated. He'll be a very lucky man if has an opportunity to play hockey again.
It looks like he is already on LTIR right now. I was thinking why the Bruins couldn't void his contract like the other teams did with players that are caught up in the Hockey Canada scandal.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If he's found not guilty I expect his arse out there Sat morning skating around
“Although the maximum penalty Lucic faces is 2-1/2 years in prison and a $5,000 fine, NBC10 Boston legal analyst Michael Coyne has said it likely won’t come to that.”

“Since it is a close family member, what often times happens is they reconcile, move to counseling and the witness doesn’t testify," he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad