Prospect Info: 2023-24 prospect information - BUT WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO PLAY?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prospect polls starting on 2/3 - what to do with #1?

• Get the formality over with and give Nikishin #1

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Start at the #1 prospect vote and give room for debate at the spot

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

I wonder if JW or anyone else is handling other high end draft picks, particularly in Europe?
When I have read things from Yorke in the past, he has said we talk to our prospects regularly to give them feedback. He has mentioned “we” have been talking to the Russian prospects before. I would imagine we talk to most of them.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
As part of some $ juggling for a bigger trade, I wonder if they would trade Bunting and slot Pono into the lineup. Defensively responsible plus ability to score.
Woah there hold your horses just a bit...Pono had a good debut (as did Drury and Geekie years ago), but penciling him in to replace Bunting's production and role seems like a pretty big leap.

EDIT: Misread, you just meant putting him in the lineup, not replacing Bunting, with a "bigger fish" replacing Bunting? I see Pono as likely the Martinook/Fast replacement coming up

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
As part of some $ juggling for a bigger trade, I wonder if they would trade Bunting and slot Pono into the lineup. Defensively responsible plus ability to score.

The Canes have $8M in unused deadline cap space. There's no need for salary reallocation this year.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
When I have read things from Yorke in the past, he has said we talk to our prospects regularly to give them feedback. He has mentioned “we” have been talking to the Russian prospects before. I would imagine we talk to most of them.
I'm sure we talk to all of them, though the high end guys likely get a lot more attention.

That's what these guys do:

Development Coaches
Daniel Bochner

Peter Harrold
Goaltender Development CoachJason Muzzatti

It used to be a sinecure we gave to former players in the old boy's club (both Francis and Brind'Amour had a turn in that job, if memory serves, along with a few others) now it seems like we've professionalized it a bit. Bochner never sniffed the bigs, but has been a development coach for SKA St. Petersburg for a while, and is now dual hatted, working both for them and us. Nikishin whisperer, obviously, but I'm sure he's in touch with all our Russian prospects. Harrold is a former NHLer, but never played for the Canes and presumably got the job based on a competitive hiring process.

But it was definitely an interesting note that Williams is directly responsible for monitoring Nadeau one on one. Don't know if I've ever heard of that arrangement before. That's certainty some white glove treatment.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I'm sure we talk to all of them, though the high end guys likely get a lot more attention.

That's what these guys do:

Development Coaches
Daniel Bochner

Peter Harrold
Goaltender Development CoachJason Muzzatti

It used to be a sinecure we gave to former players in the old boy's club (both Francis and Brind'Amour had a turn in that job, if memory serves, along with a few others) now it seems like we've professionalized it a bit. Bochner never sniffed the bigs, but has been a development coach for SKA St. Petersburg for a while, and is now dual hatted, working both for them and us. Nikishin whisperer, obviously, but I'm sure he's in touch with all our Russian prospects. Harrold is a former NHLer, but never played for the Canes and presumably got the job based on a competitive hiring process.

But it was definitely an interesting note that Williams is directly responsible for monitoring Nadeau one on one. Don't know if I've ever heard of that arrangement before. That's certainty some white glove treatment.

Probably helps having Williams talk to the kid and embed that he’s going to be a great Cane. Helps lower the risk of him Adam Foxing us.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Gunler close to an SHL return as he & Malmö have agreed on him going there and playing ASAP. Canes need to finalize the transfer which Malmö hopes happens before their next game, on Thurs.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
is he defensively responsible? I thought his defense was just ok (based on comments, not my observations)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Ahl team dependent, i wonder if we try to woo Nadeau out of college after this season. He is having a great season and we likely want to get him in our system working on defense.

Of course he could say no like Morrow.
Not really a surprise with Morrow. He’s already shown a propensity to hanging back for a year and he probably knew he had no chance of making the team. From his side there’s no real incentive to go from living life as a king to riding the bus in the AHL. Especially with our current situation, which I presume they gave him a heads up on.

is he defensively responsible? I thought his defense was just ok (based on comments, not my observations)
Yes he was drafted as an up tempo two way guy, and it seems to have played out that way. I think he’s already exceeding some of his offensive expectations. He didn’t exactly put up big numbers in a junior league that tends to be more offensive than defensive.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Not really a surprise with Morrow. He’s already shown a propensity to hanging back for a year and he probably knew he had no chance of making the team. From his side there’s no real incentive to go from living life as a king to riding the bus in the AHL. Especially with our current situation, which I presume they gave him a heads up on.
Last offseason we likely didn’t approach him about signing a deal because of the AHL situation.

After his freshman year, DW tried to convince to sign and play in Chicago. Morrow’s coach advised him to come back to school

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Last offseason we likely didn’t approach him about signing a deal because of the AHL situation.

After his freshman year, DW tried to convince to sign and play in Chicago. Morrow’s coach advised him to come back to school

Morrow’s coach advised him to come back to school”. Hopefully proper guidance and not just self interest.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Going pro after his freshman year definitely would’ve been a tough choice for him. If I was him I wouldn’t have done it either. He had plenty to learn from the ncaa level. He’s not the guy you’d say “he’s not going to get any better playing in this league”. You could say the level still has more to teach him defensively now, even with some improvement. I know we think they’re always better off in the AHL learning the team system but they’re going to be playing against men then, and some guys aren’t ready for that. He’s one Id question the learning on the job approach to defense, especially back then. He should come out this year whether he’s ready or not, but that’s just because we don’t want to lose him not because he’s actually ready.

I’d be really surprised if this team has him in mind for a Pesce replacement, or a Chatfield one if they move him up. I could see Rod not being on board with that at all. I think he’s probably best off spending at least a year in the minors with injury callups to get him used to the level a bit at a time.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I’d be really surprised if this team has him in mind for a Pesce replacement, or a Chatfield one if they move him up. I could see Rod not being on board with that at all. I think he’s probably best off spending at least a year in the minors with injury callups to get him used to the level a bit at a time.
I wouldn't call him a replacement as he'd be a completely different player than either Pesce or Chatfield. However, I could see him making the team next year as we have 4 UFAs (Pesce, Chatfield, Skjei, and DeAngelo), and I bet we're losing 3 of them. The borg will find a distressed asset or journeyman bottom pair D probably to compete with Morrow, and they can battle it out in camp, hopefully.

It seems logical for NHL teams at this point to guarantee Morrow a spot on D to entice him to sign. But I don't think that's in this organization's wheelhouse. Rod really likes to have young guys earn it, and I think that's probably better for the organization long-term. Red Wings circa 2000 and all.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I’m not an expert by any means but being very excited about Morrow coming in and taking a roster spot next year feels a lot like overvaluing a guy because he’s near the top of our list. Not a league list of prospects, just ours.

I think the only guy we could reasonably pencil into the lineup at this moment is Nikishin (2 years away due to contract but could likely step in today), and of course Ponomarev.

Man, it’ll be really good to have an AHL team again. It’s wild what this situation has done to the overall process. As if guys like Suzuki and Rees didn’t already have enough of an uphill battle.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I wouldn't call him a replacement as he'd be a completely different player than either Pesce or Chatfield. However, I could see him making the team next year as we have 4 UFAs (Pesce, Chatfield, Skjei, and DeAngelo), and I bet we're losing 3 of them. The borg will find a distressed asset or journeyman bottom pair D probably to compete with Morrow, and they can battle it out in camp, hopefully.

It seems logical for NHL teams at this point to guarantee Morrow a spot on D to entice him to sign. But I don't think that's in this organization's wheelhouse. Rod really likes to have young guys earn it, and I think that's probably better for the organization long-term. Red Wings circa 2000 and all.
Well it’s an interesting time, we don’t have a single dman signed past next year. You mention four but it’s seven in two years. There’s time but it’s starting to be something we have to be seeing on the horizon.

I see Morrow definitely tied to that reality. Sign him this season, minors with callups next and if he’s the real deal the following year maybe he’s there. Rod doesn’t want him here next year imo but Rod and the Borg don’t always seem to work together. He can only play the guys he’s given. I agree most aren’t coming back, and serviceable (but likely lesser) replacements will arrive. So Morrow could be forced into duty next year, but that would be really interesting. He doesn’t look ready overall but he could skate the level as a freshman.

I think the Lefty/righty thing matters to us. So it’s really interesting thinking about which of Skjei or Pesce stay, if either do. I’ve primarily thought they were both gone based on how we do things. At the same time it’s hard to imagine replacements that are nearly as effective and we’re a cup team. Right now.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Well it’s an interesting time, we don’t have a single dman signed past next year. You mention four but it’s seven in two years. There’s time but it’s starting to be something we have to be seeing on the horizon.

I see Morrow definitely tied to that reality. Sign him this season, minors with callups next and if he’s the real deal the following year maybe he’s there. Rod doesn’t want him here next year imo but Rod and the Borg don’t always seem to work together. He can only play the guys he’s given. I agree most aren’t coming back, and serviceable (but likely lesser) replacements will arrive. So Morrow could be forced into duty next year, but that would be really interesting. He doesn’t look ready overall but he could skate the level as a freshman.

I think the Lefty/righty thing matters to us. So it’s really interesting thinking about which of Skjei or Pesce stay, if either do. I’ve primarily thought they were both gone based on how we do things. At the same time it’s hard to imagine replacements that are nearly as effective and we’re a cup team. Right now.
I think they sign him after UMass's season with the idea of him being the #3 RHD heading into next season, and try bringing in either another Caleb Jones type (or even TDA?) on a PTO into camp just in case he doesn't look ready in pre-season play. As a college Junior Morrow holds a LOT of cards, the only one the Canes hold at this point is a chance to get the clock ticking a year early after this season for him if that's what he wants. Of course, that can sometimes be a double edged situation, just ask Gaudreau or Pinto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad