Recalled/Assigned: 2023-24 Colorado Eagles and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
That's true with his guarantee. I forgot about that. I retract my comment about his earnings this year, but still feel a bit bad for him career wise. He'll get another opportunity though if he stays healthy.

Kiviranta is just a coach's dream for a 4th liner though. He's more polished, and very reliable, which coach's love on the 4th line. Bedsy knows exactly what he's gonna get from him every night. Also a very smart player for a 4th liner.

If Tufte had continued playing similar though, even if the goal pace dipped a bit, he'd have been a better hockey player for the Avs I think. But I'm not upset with the decision, I've liked Kiviranta on the Avs since the pre-season.

Comparison's for Tufte to guys like Kiviranta are interesting though, because Kiviranta may be a better 4th liner, but if Tufte plays to his potential, or near the level he had been, he's a better 3rd liner, or middle sixer.
He's really close to being an NHL regular, imo.

If Cogs call it a career, I would hope the Avs offer him a 1-way deal. However, as crazy as it sounds Cogs has played really well again this year and if he wants to keep going, I think you gotta re-up him.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Tufte was clearly in over his head on the 2nd line, but he probably deserves to be playing on the 4th and is strange he never got a run out there instead of guys like Meyers, MacDermid, Polin etc.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Tufte was clearly in over his head on the 2nd line, but he probably deserves to be playing on the 4th and is strange he never got a run out there instead of guys like Meyers, MacDermid, Polin etc.

Avs are just taking advantage of his 10 NHL games or cumulative 30 day exemption from waivers.

If they keep him up, and he gets hurt, or he sits in the stands, or they're not quite sure if they should keep him up, and he burns up those 10 games or 30 days, they'd risk losing him to waivers again when he's more likely to get claimed, than when they snuck him down at the beginning of the season.

He's played 5 games since clearing waivers, and looking at his transactions it looks like he might have been on the Avs roster for 15 days. Perhaps not coincidentally exactly half the time they're allowed for both.

Which they could save the second half for after they call him up later in the season and give him a good run before the deadline/playoffs to evaluate if they can commit a role to him this year.

CapFriendly:

"A player does not need to pass through waivers if the player has not been on the NHL active roster for a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers, OR has not played in 10 or more NHL games. CBA Reference 13.2(b) (Despite the CBA reference saying 30 days AND 10 games, the rule is actually 30 days OR 10 games)"

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Avs are just taking advantage of his 10 NHL games or cumulative 30 day exemption from waivers.

If they keep him up, and he gets hurt, or he sits in the stands, or they're not quite sure if they should keep him up, and he burns up those 10 games or 30 days, they'd risk losing him to waivers again when he's more likely to get claimed, than when they snuck him down at the beginning of the season.

He's played 5 games since clearing waivers, and looking at his transactions it looks like he might have been on the Avs roster for 15 days. Perhaps not coincidentally exactly half the time they're allowed for both.

Which they could save the second half for after they call him up later in the season and give him a good run before the deadline/playoffs to evaluate if they can commit a role to him this year.

CapFriendly:

"A player does not need to pass through waivers if the player has not been on the NHL active roster for a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers, OR has not played in 10 or more NHL games. CBA Reference 13.2(b) (Despite the CBA reference saying 30 days AND 10 games, the rule is actually 30 days OR 10 games)"
I'm sure he would rather be in the NHL, but by avoiding the potential of a waiver claim we are ensuring he's part of our depth for the playoffs and the thought that we can play him instead of MacDermid when the games matter means something, to me at least.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm sure he would rather be in the NHL, but by avoiding the potential of a waiver claim we are ensuring he's part of our depth for the playoffs and the thought that we can play him instead of MacDermid when the games matter means something, to me at least.

Yeah it's a good business move.

Also, if they can call him up right before the deadline or right after, so it his exemption expires after the deadline, even though teams can technically still claim players off waivers, all but the teams that don't have a shot at he playoffs usually don't, because they're not eligible for the playoffs if they're acquired after the deadline.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Tufte obviously needs to prove himself in the NHL, but he's already shown way more in both the AHL and NHL than Greer ever did for the Avs in multiple seasons. Not a good comparable.

He's on his way to the AHL All Star Game at nearly a point per game in the AHL.

Even NAK he's got the potential to be better than. NAK never had his shot/size combo. Though that's probably a fair mid range projection.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
NAK is a legit NHLer and has been one of the few players in the Caps this season to deliver what is expected of him. Id like to have him back on the Avs, rather than these Meyers and Kivirantas of the world.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
NAK is a legit NHLer and has been one of the few players in the Caps this season to deliver what is expected of him. Id like to have him back on the Avs, rather than these Meyers and Kivirantas of the world.
Really strange to complain about Kiviranta, especially given how he’s played the last two games in a third line role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad