Recalled/Assigned: 2023-24 Colorado Eagles and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
By letting all the top-end mercenary talent leave. Just look at the quality of players - for the AHL - that left in the past two years. I get they want the youth to take the next step, but it seems that the top line of Meyers, Tufte, and Pare ain't it. Pare isn't even close to being a 1st line anything for the AHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
By letting all the top-end mercenary talent leave. Just look at the quality of players - for the AHL - that left in the past two years. I get they want the youth to take the next step, but it seems that the top line of Meyers, Tufte, and Pare ain't it. Pare isn't even close to being a 1st line anything for the AHL.
But the solution was to play the kids! :sarcasm:

I will say it is tough to judge year 1 on a team with this many changes. I'm not a fan of the coaching, there is a complete lack of talent, the lack of picks and prospects has left things very dry, etc.

Another part of this is the lack of contracts. The Avs have 46 on paper which has them tied for 11th in the NHL... but Landy counts and isn't adding anything to either team. Frank counts in the same manner. Weinstein is in juniors. This basically means they are operating like a team with 43 contracts even prior to the injuries that happen during the season. The Kings are also operating with 43 contracts... and the only team with less is Carolina, who doesn't have an AHL team. The Avs just didn't sign enough bodies and they tied themselves to horses like Beaucage, Stienburg, Aamodt, etc who are just not good enough. So they're lacking talent and compounded that by just not having enough bodies.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Is that really what we're gauging his success on? I'll be honest, the Eagles could be the worst team in the AHL for all I care, so long as they supply some NHL-ready talent when needed, I'm perfectly fine with the job McDonald is doing, at least for now.

Neither is a prospect but both Caleb Jones and Sam Malinski have had a positive impact, and while Polin has played very scant minutes, I already like him a ton better than MacDermid.

It ain't like the Eagles were a perennial Calder Cup favorite when they had Erik Condra and Bizarro JTC in the fold. I'm confident if there's going to be a need to bring in some AHL scorers, the Eagles will be pounding the table for them. So far I don't think they have.

The bigger issues I have is the lack of quality prospects coming through the system, including the AHL affiliate. That speaks to a much larger issue of course. I'm not singling out McDonald there--it's Klippenstein, Billington, and Willsie I'm looking at first.

Side note: Totally forgot that Steve Konowalchuk is Schneekloth's assistant coach.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I would still like the eagles to be playoff competitive/contenders but i'll give McDonald and our coach more than 1 year to figure it out. From what ive seen from the games, team structure is fine, very good puck cycling. Thats great for developing the 3/4th liners we need to adjument our depth. Our PP sucks and our goaltending is bleh.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I would still like the eagles to be playoff competitive/contenders but i'll give McDonald and our coach more than 1 year to figure it out. From what ive seen from the games, team structure is fine, very good puck cycling. Thats great for developing the 3/4th liners we need to adjument our depth. Our PP sucks and our goaltending is bleh.

The prospect base is pure garbage, we all know that. That ain't on McDonald. It's also a first-year head coach at the helm.

And as noted before, the team is one of the best in the league at generating shots, which suggests they're pretty damn good at driving play and maintaining possession. They just can't finish worth a shit.

There's also some delicate balancing that has to be done when a team decides to load up on AHL vets. It's one thing to get those guys to improve the affiliate but those vets might be eyeing the NHL as well. The then Lake Erie Monsters tried something like that and holy shit did it ever blow up in their faces.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
From what I have seen they are more often than not outshooting the other teams so they are doing something right. They just seem to have problems scoring. They are certainly missing one or two high-end AHL players.

Miner has also been having a pretty good season at the AHL level.

Edit: Pokecheque beat me to it.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Shots in the AHL are a bit misleading and subject to even more variations than NHL arenas. By my eye, they don't generate enough dangerous chances and are perfectly willing to let Hunt (and other defensemen) fire away from the point and shoot outside the dots. Their play is incredibly perimeter. It has been a bit since I checked in (mid December), but they were leading shots by defensemen by a huge margin in the AHL... the shot attempts were even more insane.

On Miner specifically... he's been better than Holm was, but I wouldn't say great either. He's made 9 starts and in 6 of those he's let in 3 or more goals. In those 9 starts he's also only faced 30 or more shots 4 times. Basically... a lot of the time (~50%) he's sub .900 goaltending. I would say he's had 2 good games and 1 great game. His good games faced 25-30 shots and simply made the saves he was supposed plus one or so more per game. His great game, he was getting absolutely shelled and only gave up 2 in a loss.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Shots in the AHL are a bit misleading and subject to even more variations than NHL arenas. By my eye, they don't generate enough dangerous chances and are perfectly willing to let Hunt (and other defensemen) fire away from the point and shoot outside the dots. Their play is incredibly perimeter. It has been a bit since I checked in (mid December), but they were leading shots by defensemen by a huge margin in the AHL... the shot attempts were even more insane.

On Miner specifically... he's been better than Holm was, but I wouldn't say great either. He's made 9 starts and in 6 of those he's let in 3 or more goals. In those 9 starts he's also only faced 30 or more shots 4 times. Basically... a lot of the time (~50%) he's sub .900 goaltending. I would say he's had 2 good games and 1 great game. His good games faced 25-30 shots and simply made the saves he was supposed plus one or so more per game. His great game, he was getting absolutely shelled and only gave up 2 in a loss.
Thanks for the info. I honestly don't watch them a lot so my comments were mostly from stats.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for the info. I honestly don't watch them a lot so my comments were mostly from stats.
It is probably for the best... they are a rather frustrating team to watch. They play like a very bad version of Carolina. :laugh:

My hope is that as Foudy gets integrated back into the lineup, they maybe get some bodies and players back from the Avs, and Wags takes over that they'll improve offensively.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Of the vets they brought in (Tufte, Wagner, Holland, and Kero) only Tufte has worked. Of the college guys brought in (Stienburg, Sandelin, Polin, Pavel) none of them has scored. Add the injury to JLF and you get an anemic offense.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Of the vets they brought in (Tufte, Wagner, Holland, and Kero) only Tufte has worked. Of the college guys brought in (Stienburg, Sandelin, Polin, Pavel) none of them has scored. Add the injury to JLF and you get an anemic offense.
Wagner and Holland barely played so cant blame them. Wagner isnt counted on for offense. But kero is so underwhelming compared to getting a legit AHL star.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He played last night. It kind of looks to me like maybe they're just not playing him in b2bs right now.... Kind of tricky to do for very long given how the AHL schedule works but maybe they're just doing that for a couple of weeks to ease him back in.
They are alternating Wagner and Foudy, neither have played on back to back nights yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad