Recalled/Assigned: 2023-24 Colorado Eagles and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
When the AHL season started, I was really struck by the lack of any real AHL ringers on the Eagles roster. Usually we have at least one of those to start the year, somebody like Tynan, Sherwood, Dries, Agozzino, etc. who can really score well at that level even if they never manage to break through in the NHL.
Probably avoiding AHL slugs Bednar will want to call up and play on the 3rd line.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Probably avoiding AHL slugs Bednar will want to call up and play on the 3rd line.
I don't even really know who they'd call up at this point. Doesn't appear they have any interest in bringing up OO or II, and I haven't heard Riley Tufte's name in quite some time. I wouldn't mind them trying Pavel again but apart from that, slim pickings.

Regardless, I'd take the full Daw/Krestanovich/Fairhchild rotation again before they put effing MacDermid back out there.

Side note: I always assumed Spencer Smallman was a short king. Guess not.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don't even really know who they'd call up at this point. Doesn't appear they have any interest in bringing up OO or II, and I haven't heard Riley Tufte's name in quite some time. I wouldn't mind them trying Pavel again but apart from that, slim pickings.

Regardless, I'd take the full Daw/Krestanovich/Fairhchild rotation again before they put effing MacDermid back out there.

Side note: I always assumed Spencer Smallman was a short king. Guess not.
I assume by II you mean Ivan Ivan. They can call him up as he is on an AHL contract. They would have to sign him first.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Really missing those AHL superstars. I bet the PP for the eagles is probably hot garbage.
Everyone who wanted the kids to be given the opportunities are seeing exactly what happens. They simply aren't good enough... though I don't think the coaching is all that good this year either.

When Tufte or Meyers is your most talented forward... that's a big sign of trouble.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
And they usually outshoot their opponents. They have the same problem as the Avs. When their better scorers go cold the team usually can score. Foudy coming back will help but the talent overall is pretty slim.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Everyone who wanted the kids to be given the opportunities are seeing exactly what happens. They simply aren't good enough... though I don't think the coaching is all that good this year either.

When Tufte or Meyers is your most talented forward... that's a big sign of trouble.
Ya our amateur scouts are just so bad. Cant even find a gem NCAA guy who can excel in the AHL, while our proscouts can at least find a jordan gross/sherwood who dominate AHLers.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
What happened to Peter Holland? Saw he was doing pretty well, was routing him for an NHL comeback, but noticed he hasn't played in months. What happened?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What happened to Peter Holland? Saw he was doing pretty well, was routing him for an NHL comeback, but noticed he hasn't played in months. What happened?
His wife just had a 2nd kid around October and i'm not sure if his family ever moved to Denver.

It probably looked like he fell too far down on the depth chart and he wouldn't have a realistic chance at making the Avs, so decided to go back to Toronto to be with his family...

I could be completely off-base on this too, to be honest I completely forgot about him :laugh:

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
His wife just had a 2nd kid around October and i'm not sure if his family ever moved to Denver.

It probably looked like he fell too far down on the depth chart and he wouldn't have a realistic chance at making the Avs, so decided to go back to Toronto to be with his family...

I could be completely off-base on this too, to be honest I completely forgot about him :laugh:
Saw he had 8 points in 10 game on your A team, so was wondering.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

I thought he was injured. You think he just quit?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I haven’t followed this with Holland, but his back is completely F’d… so odds are just high his back is acting up and possibly they called it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Good for him! I know he had his plans on playing in the NHL this season, and I think we all would prefer him in the lineup over KMac, but it's cool to at least see him get rewarded like this.

This is nice, but I feel for Tufte a little bit.

He absolutely played well enough to stay in the lineup earlier in the season, and the Avs definitely exploited his cumulative 30 day exemption from waivers by keeping him there, and calling up others.

I'm guessing they may call him up later in the season, and possibly keep him up, but still kinda sucks for Tufte. He lost out on a fair bit of money he played well enough to earn, and if he got injured or something in the AHL (knock on wood) it could have derailed any hopes of an NHL career he has left.

I was wondering if his play had slipped with the Eagles, but if he's their representative at the ASG, that seems unlikely.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
This is nice, but I feel for Tufte a little bit.

He absolutely played well enough to stay in the lineup earlier in the season, and the Avs definitely exploited his cumulative 30 day exemption from waivers by keeping him there, and calling up others.

I'm guessing they may call him up later in the season, and possibly keep him up, but still kinda sucks for Tufte. He lost out on a fair bit of money he played well enough to earn, and if he got injured or something in the AHL (knock on wood) it could have derailed any hopes of an NHL career he has left.

I was wondering if his play had slipped with the Eagles, but if he's their representative at the ASG, that seems unlikely.
He played well but if he had significantly outplayed Kiviranta then he wouldn't have been the one that ended up back down with the Eagles. It's nice to have him as a call-in though.

He's still going to get $425k guaranteed (according to cap friendly).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He played well but if he had significantly outplayed Kiviranta then he wouldn't have been the one that ended up back down with the Eagles. It's nice to have him as a call-in though.

He's still going to get $425k guaranteed (according to cap friendly).

That's true with his guarantee. I forgot about that. I retract my comment about his earnings this year, but still feel a bit bad for him career wise. He'll get another opportunity though if he stays healthy.

Kiviranta is just a coach's dream for a 4th liner though. He's more polished, and very reliable, which coach's love on the 4th line. Bedsy knows exactly what he's gonna get from him every night. Also a very smart player for a 4th liner.

If Tufte had continued playing similar though, even if the goal pace dipped a bit, he'd have been a better hockey player for the Avs I think. But I'm not upset with the decision, I've liked Kiviranta on the Avs since the pre-season.

Comparison's for Tufte to guys like Kiviranta are interesting though, because Kiviranta may be a better 4th liner, but if Tufte plays to his potential, or near the level he had been, he's a better 3rd liner, or middle sixer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad