Recalled/Assigned: 2023-24 Colorado Eagles and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Stienburg with his second AHL career goal. What a f***ing waste of a high 3rd round pick. I guess his Dad and Joe had a few good nights at the Dagobert back in the Nords day which would justify the pick. I mean his dad was a f***ing waste of a 1st rounder, why not keep up with tradition.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Stienburg with his second AHL career goal. What a f***ing waste of a high 3rd round pick. I guess his Dad and Joe had a few good nights at the Dagobert back in the Nords day which would justify the pick. I mean his dad was a f***ing waste of a 1st rounder, why not keep up with tradition.
You should be way more mad at Hepple. Remember that was the pick where they later admitted the guy they wanted was gone and they had to scramble. It was Hepple who had to convince Joe to take him. Might be one of several reasons why Hepple was ultimately fired (good thing too since he played a part in the Avs getting Darcy Kuemper).

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Owen Nolan literally bumped into me while I was on the dance floor at Dagobert back in the day

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
You should be way more mad at Hepple. Remember that was the pick where they later admitted the guy they wanted was gone and they had to scramble. It was Hepple who had to convince Joe to take him. Might be one of several reasons why Hepple was ultimately fired (good thing too since he played a part in the Avs getting Darcy Kuemper).
I was being facetious. However I'm sure there is an once of nepotism in that pick.

Regarding Hepple's scrambling: How can that happen? Don't they create a ranked list of 200 players? Pick the next guy if your guy is picked?

Imagine that story breaking in Maple Leafs Land, the media would have asked for Hepple's head. Here that dummy admits that he f***ed up and we all go along with our day.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

If it makes you feel any better, they wasted another 3rd rounder a mere 15 picks later with Beaucage

Reactions: Alienblood

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was being facetious. However I'm sure there is an once of nepotism in that pick.

Regarding Hepple's scrambling: How can that happen? Don't they create a ranked list of 200 players? Pick the next guy if your guy is picked?

Imagine that story breaking in Maple Leafs Land, the media would have asked for Hepple's head. Here that dummy admits that he f***ed up and we all go along with our day.
I bet it happens more often than we think. Still not an excuse but I imagine it does.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's unfair to judge prospects first year in the AHL. A lot of them struggle adapting to playing against others who are not in any sort of age limit and it isn't just our organisation. Now with that said, Stienburg was a bad pick. You never draft long-term projects who's ceiling is that of an elite 3rd liner ever, like EVER. You draft long-term projects that have the potential to be a 1st line or top 3 defenceman player.
I’m really not impressed with the coaching… but maybe it’s a first year in the AHL as a head guy thing.
Our AHL team has lost a ton of top-tier talent in the past two years, based on talent alone the Eagles I suggest are in the spot in the standings where they should be. Utah, though, should ALWAYS be a top ECHL team easily, no excuses there. I think the strategy was to give a lot of our prospects major minutes and some of that has been hampered by injuries to players like Foudy/Wagner and some of the rest is our prospects not being good whatsoever. This Holm signing looks like trash though.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Our AHL team has lost a ton of top-tier talent in the past two years, based on talent alone the Eagles I suggest are in the spot in the standings where they should be. Utah, though, should ALWAYS be a top ECHL team easily, no excuses there. I think the strategy was to give a lot of our prospects major minutes and some of that has been hampered by injuries to players like Foudy/Wagner and some of the rest is our prospects not being good whatsoever. This Holm signing looks like trash though.
When the AHL season started, I was really struck by the lack of any real AHL ringers on the Eagles roster. Usually we have at least one of those to start the year, somebody like Tynan, Sherwood, Dries, Agozzino, etc. who can really score well at that level even if they never manage to break through in the NHL. I think the roster is really missing a player like that. Hunt is maybe the closest thing the Eagles have to an AHL superstar, and it's clearly not cutting it. That combined with none of our prospects stepping up and a rookie head coach is probably sinking them.

It's also possible that Cronin was propping us up down there and getting a lot more out of that roster than we deserved. I think he was a very good AHL coach (obviously Anaheim agreed) and having Schneekloth being average or maybe even below average in that department is pulling that team back down to earth.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Tough first game back for Cheeks. Eagles can't score goals anymore 9 in the last 5 games and only 1 in each of the last 3 games.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's unfair to judge prospects first year in the AHL. A lot of them struggle adapting to playing against others who are not in any sort of age limit and it isn't just our organisation. Now with that said, Stienburg was a bad pick. You never draft long-term projects who's ceiling is that of an elite 3rd liner ever, like EVER. You draft long-term projects that have the potential to be a 1st line or top 3 defenceman player.

I highly disagree on the first year in the AHL. Maybe a mulligan at 18/19, but if a player typically has top 9/top 4 chops, they should be making an impact in their first AHL year. Maybe not a PPG guy or a top pairing D... but they should be noticeable in a positive way consistently. The 2nd and 3rd years they should be impact guys on the team. Top 6/top4 sorts in the AHL. You might be able to develop a scrub 4th liner or 13th F/7th D over a few years... but those guys are a dime a dozen anyway.

Even take a guy like Nick Holden. It took him a long time to establish in the NHL and even when he did he was a middle pairing guy at his absolute best. He stepped in day 1 into the AHL and was a top 4D. Graves was up and down as an AHL guy (really his 3rd AHL season was bad, but prior two were good), but he was an AHL all star his first AHL season. LOC stepped in right away in the AHL and was one of the Eagles' best players right away.

IMO if a guy is to have NHL chops, they need to show it pretty early. Maybe a Euro who has never been on NA ice gets a bit of a break, but beyond that, guys should show at least consistent glimpses into being impact guys at that level early.

I don't think the Eagles are an especially talented team, but in the games I've seen, I've been unimpressed with the coaching too. I hope to be wrong... I just see a guy who is in over his head as a coach.

landpoke

May 21, 2020
Sitting here in Salt Lake watching warm-ups. I don't follow prospects so I have no idea who I should be watching. Any suggestions?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sitting here in Salt Lake watching warm-ups. I don't follow prospects so I have no idea who I should be watching. Any suggestions?
The Grizzlies I assume? Honestly I don’t even know if any of the players there are Avs prospects. Trent Miner is usually there but he was called up to the Eagles a while ago so…:dunno:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yup. Entertaining game. 5-2 Grizzlies. Nobody stood out .
Good deal, been kind of a surprisingly rough season for the Grizz, glad they got a win.

I'm looking at the roster and I'm certainly not the expert on Avs prospects but I don't believe any of those guys are affiliated with the parent club.

But hey, it's cool to see they got a Korean guy on the roster (Bryan Yoon)!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Incidentally, if Trent Miner is putting up better numbers than Justus Annunen, why not...stick with the hot hand? If neither one is a legit goaltending prospect then I don't see why one should get preference over the other.
AHL goaltending rotations tend to have a lot of parent club input. Easy to take the leap that the Avs are directing them to start Annunen.

(though I do agree Annunen isn't a legit NHL prospect... I just don't think the Avs are to that point)

Reactions: Andrew Wiggin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad