Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Gushchin with his offensive skill has a very high ceiling. He has always been unlikely to hit given his size concerns but if he does hit then it would be a big boost to the rebuild.
Yeah if someone like Gushchin, Bordeleau or Graf unexpectedly hits as a top six forward it makes it a lot easier to include a Musty, Chernyshov or Halttunen in a trade package for a top 4 defenseman.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Yeah if someone like Gushchin, Bordeleau or Graf unexpectedly hits as a top six forward it makes it a lot easier to include a Musty, Chernyshov or Halttunen in a trade package for a top 4 defenseman.
Assuming this "best case", we still need one of those bigger wingers to hit, because we'll be looking at a top 6 "core" or semi-core of Eklund, Celebrini, Smith, Gushchin/Bords/Graf, and two more. That's at least 4 average-to-small forwards in the top 6. They better be transcendent. This is the problem with chasing "value" when drafting -- eventually your pool just lacks the meat that you need to win battles in the corner and in the front of the net.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Assuming this "best case", we still need one of those bigger wingers to hit, because we'll be looking at a top 6 "core" or semi-core of Eklund, Celebrini, Smith, Gushchin/Bords/Graf, and two more. That's at least 4 average-to-small forwards in the top 6. They better be transcendent. This is the problem with chasing "value" when drafting -- eventually your pool just lacks the meat that you need to win battles in the corner and in the front of the net.
The flip side is that the bigger wingers should also, at least theoretically, have more trade value. Definitely agree that we need more size in the top six though. This is why I'm hoping for Martone in the draft unless someone emerges as a legit #1 defense prospect.

Reactions: STL Shark

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Sharks need a couple more Celebrinis to be able to seriously compete. Sign, draft or steal from others teams is the way to go.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but didn't the Lund line only play like 8-10 games together last season (if that)?
Yes I think this is true. It’s because of the Zetterlund and Eklund bromance and a gimmicky name that ever puts that line on a pedestal. If there wasn’t a catchy way to describe the line it wouldn’t even be memorable.

It’s like the burger line of a jumbo heated patty. It’s why marketing professionals make a lot of money. Everyone likes a catchy gimmick.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Just out of curiosity - what's the benefit of not putting Logan on the LTIR? I know we don't need the space, but what if we could use it in the future? (I understand it's unlikely we pick up that huge of a cap dump mid season)

We won't accrue any cap space as long as Couture (or anyone else) is on LTIR.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Also, even if the Lund line is the best option now (which as stated, is debatable.) Celebrini-Eklund feels like the core of your elite 2way line for a long time. They will get the difficult matchups, and should be the critical PK and SH threat pair, so starting working on that now, seems like a good option.

Reactions: STL Shark

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Also, even if the Lund line is the best option now (which as stated, is debatable.) Celebrini-Eklund feels like the core of your elite 2way line for a long time. They will get the difficult matchups, and should be the critical PK and SH threat pair, so starting working on that now, seems like a good option.
Bingo. Smith is the guy that needs more help with center duties compared to Celebrini as well. Makes a ton of sense to have him with Granlund to help with some of that responsibility early.

Really, my only complaint on the roster is that I'd prefer Gushchin-Wennberg-Dellandrea as the 3rd with Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin on the 4th line.

That said, Sturm has shown he can be a 25-30 point a year guy between his time in Minnesota and his first year in SJ so maybe that difference in centers will be pretty meaningless if he has some linemates that can contribute offense (probably helps his trade value too as a likely deadline mover).

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
That said, Sturm has shown he can be a 25-30 point a year guy between his time in Minnesota and his first year in SJ so maybe that difference in centers will be pretty meaningless if he has some linemates that can contribute offense (probably helps his trade value too as a likely deadline mover).
Sturm has had 26 points once, when he was getting 3rd line minutes that he should never see again. He's also 29 and probably has 3-4 years left in his NHL career, because he's not actually very good now and it's all downhill from here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad