Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What about Scheifele? His name has floated around these parts for awhile.

Much as I truly dislike that guy and think he's not worth the trouble, he's likely the best shot the Avs have at a cost-controlled 2C option, at least for one season.

But I think the Jets will go out of their way to deal him anywhere but a division rival, especially the 2022 Cup champs.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
the futures of Landeskog and Nichushkin may just force Colorado's hand.
Say Nuke is in rehab (which is likely where he is)...can he miss training camp because of that?

I know everyone is different but does anyone know how long players in general miss because they are in rehab? Can it be like 6 months? A full year?

Starting next season with Landy and Nuke on LTIR (and not being able to spend their cap space because of uncertainty) is not only a possibility at this time but it seems like the most likely scenario.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Say Nuke is in rehab (which is likely where he is)...can he miss training camp because of that?

I know everyone is different but does anyone know how long players in general miss because they are in rehab? Can it be like 6 months? A full year?

Starting next season with Landy and Nuke on LTIR (and not being able to spend their cap space because of uncertainty) is not only a possibility at this time but it seems like the most likely scenario.

Vrana played two games this season in October 2022 before going into rehab and did not play another game until February 21st, though I believe he was eligible in early January.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So if Landy and Nuke start next season on LTIR and both project to possibly come back during the season, that means that this summer won't be fun. Not fun at all.

Landy -7M
Nuke -6.125M
Bonus recapture: -625k

Close to 14M in dead cap space to build a team that already had big cap issues. Prepare yourselves guys because it's gonna hurt.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I hope they just find a way to move on from Nuke and that deal this offseason. Them's damaged goods.
Can't be traded for sure with 7 years at full value left.

Buyout would look like this

6cOm8DD.png

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can't be traded for sure with 7 years at full value left.

Buyout would look like this

6cOm8DD.png

Not even worth discussing a buyout--it ain't happening with this organization, even though by the time that cap hit would become problematic the Avs will be done anyway.

I'm guessing he will be back but hoooooo boy is that gonna be awkward. I imagine Nate will be shooting lasers from his eyes the moment Nuke shows up for his first game.

At this point we have nothing but speculation but...I wonder what happens if he just stays in Russia.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
What do you even do with Newhook? He had the unfair and unrealistic expectations of being the 2C at the start of the season and I’ll admit, I was all for giving him that chance for a few months to see what he can do. Then he got pushed and pulled in every different direction up and down the lineup. The season ends with him providing literally nothing in terms of both production and on ice impact.

I have no idea what he is as a player and what role (if any) he should play with this team next season.

I'm not sure what Colorado will do because they're notorious for holding onto their young players too long.

But to me it says a lot that Newhook only averaged 9:15 in ice time this post-season. When the Nichushkin absence hit, Bednar instead increased the roles of Eller and Nieto, giving Newhook less than 7:00 TOI in both Game 3 (6:39) and Game 4 (6:46).

And this is in a series where the Avalanche dealt with another injury wave, and were desperate for secondary scoring. The coaching staff obviously didn't trust Newhook's two-way game enough to gamble on the offensive upside.

If the coaches have such little confidence in the player, it's time to move on. Newhook turned 22 in January so the book is far from written on him, but the Avalanche's Stanley Cup window isn't going to stay open forever.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not even worth discussing a buyout--it ain't happening with this organization, even though by the time that cap hit would become problematic the Avs will be done anyway.

I'm guessing he will be back but hoooooo boy is that gonna be awkward. I imagine Nate will be shooting lasers from his eyes the moment Nuke shows up for his first game.

At this point we have nothing but speculation but...I wonder what happens if he just stays in Russia.
IIRC the Kings suspended Voynov and he went to Russia and they were able to terminate his contract. He had 4 years left.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
So if Landy and Nuke start next season on LTIR and both project to possibly come back during the season, that means that this summer won't be fun. Not fun at all.

Landy -7M
Nuke -6.125M
Bonus recapture: -625k

Close to 14M in dead cap space to build a team that already had big cap issues. Prepare yourself guys because it's gonna hurt.
I think Landy is done to be honest. How open they left that option wasn't great. Nuke who knows. If they think in any way they won't be back for more than 1/4 of the season they need to use the cap space regardless. Figure it out when it's a problem. Until then build a competitive roster.

That said I expect the Avalanche to do nothing and sit and wait again... wasting another year.

I think it's way too early to start hypotheticals about Nuke and Landy. When free agency rolls around, then we better have more idea.
You can't wait that long. Movement IMO starts just before the draft.

I hope they just find a way to move on from Nuke and that deal this offseason. Them's damaged goods.
I hope if it's bad, and he's gonna be a problem they void his contract.

Reactions: The Moops

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I hope if it's bad, and he's gonna be a problem they void his contract.

That'll still be a very long and drawn-out battle. Both Mike Richards and Evander Kane had their respective deals terminated (I still say the way Lombardi and the Kings went about it with Richards was absolutely slimy). Richards essentially got a discount buyout and we weren't sure if any potential new contract Kane got was going to be voided that summer because they were still deliberating in court whether or not the voiding of his deal with the Sharks would be upheld.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If Landeskog or Nuke are down, I want Avs to go after Meier.

If the Jets decide to blow it up, Lowery needs to be acquired at all costs and even overpayment if that's what it takes to get him. I know he doesn't fit my bill of being a young centre, but he'd be an amazing #2, like seriously amazing.
Adam Lowry would be a fantastic #3C but I don't think he has the creativity/playmaking ability to anchor a 2nd line and then we'd still be looking for a #2C.

He's a really, really good player though that is hard to play against - I wish the Avs had/wanted more players like that.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Meier would be a good get. Curious to see how he is after that hit from Trouba... that was rough.

What about Scheifele? His name has floated around these parts for awhile.

Whatever happens the Avalanche can't sit on their hands waiting for Nuke and Landy to be ready. Hopefully they know by the draft where both of them will be, if either of them is out past the first 1/4 of the season count them out and fill their spot.
You guys need to forget about Timo Meier. He's a RFA with a huge QO ($10M) but after what NJ paid to get him, you can bet that they are going to get him signed long-term.

In order for him to come here, we'd need to either trade for him or have NJ walk away from his QO making him a free agent which is super unlikely and then he'd have to choose to come here.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
IIRC the Kings suspended Voynov and he went to Russia and they were able to terminate his contract. He had 4 years left.

Yeah but holy shit that was an open-and-shut case that involved blood literally smeared across a television screen or something like that.

FWIW, the Kings treated Slava Voynov much, much better than they treated Mike Richards. Dean Lombardi should never get an NHL GM gig ever again.

Reactions: The Moops

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If they get to UFA, I'd love for the Avs to sign :

Pierre Engvall for the 3rd line LW spot. He flashed to me in much the same way that Devon Toews did during the playoffs for the Islanders - I don't know how much he'd cost as a UFA but I think he'd be a really good acquisition.

Luke Glendening for the 4th C spot. He was almost 60% on faceoffs this past year - for that alone, that's a guy I think they need to add. Bednar kept putting JTC and Eller in certain situations where they probably shouldn't be out there when they really needed a faceoff win. They've ignored this for way too long.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Pierre Engvall for the 3rd line LW spot. He flashed to me in much the same way that Devon Toews did during the playoffs for the Islanders - I don't know how much he'd cost as a UFA but I think he'd be a really good acquisition.

Luke Glendening for the 4th C spot. He was almost 60% on faceoffs this past year - for that alone, that's a guy I think they need to add. Bednar kept putting JTC and Eller in certain situations where they probably shouldn't be out there when they really needed a faceoff win. They've ignored this for way too long.
Agree on both especially Engval. I love his game. He would fit really well in Bednar's system.

Reactions: Stanley Thermos

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I don't know what it is about Avs centers but I swear their situational faceoff win % takes a major hit the moment they don the uniform. Bellemare was great until he was in Colorado, Kadri wasn't as effective IIRC in Colorado as he was in Toronto, and Eller took a nosedive as well. I'm guessing J.T. Compher will turn into goddamn Paul Gaustad wherever he ends up.

And of course they signed Jesse Winchester for faceoff help, and he died in the preseason.

Glendening I'm not opposed to but watch what happens if they get him. He'll be the next Alex Newhook/Tyson Jost in the dot.

Conor McGahey once said during an Avs broadcast that "Even when the Avs win faceoffs, they lose them." There is something to that--it's like the puck support right after a faceoff just isn't there. Some coaches want their wings to collapse on the puck right away or move closer to the puck at least. I don't get that impression with Bednar's system, but I think that's a reason why the Avs suck so bad at faceoffs. They just don't GAF about them that much.

As for Engvall, I'd LOVE to get a guy like that, but I don't think they'll be able to afford him.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I don't know what it is about Avs centers but I swear their situational faceoff win % takes a major hit the moment they don the uniform. Bellemare was great until he was in Colorado, Kadri wasn't as effective IIRC in Colorado as he was in Toronto, and Eller took a nosedive as well. I'm guessing J.T. Compher will turn into goddamn Paul Gaustad wherever he ends up.

And of course they signed Jesse Winchester for faceoff help, and he died in the preseason.

Glendening I'm not opposed to but watch what happens if they get him. He'll be the next Alex Newhook/Tyson Jost in the dot.

Conor McGahey once said during an Avs broadcast that "Even when the Avs win faceoffs, they lose them." There is something to that--it's like the puck support right after a faceoff just isn't there. Some coaches want their wings to collapse on the puck right away or move closer to the puck at least. I don't get that impression with Bednar's system, but I think that's a reason why the Avs suck so bad at faceoffs. They just don't GAF about them that much.

As for Engvall, I'd LOVE to get a guy like that, but I don't think they'll be able to afford him.
To me, this is the sort of situation where if that's a guy you've identified that you want - make some sort of offer to the NYI prior to free agency to get his exclusive negotiation rights. Send them Ranta or Maltsev or someone else that Bednar won't play anyway.

I'm not certain the Islanders will be able to afford to keep him.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Unless Nuke is charged with a crime, I am about as confident as it gets that he’s back here next season and is likely ready by training camp. If it’s just an addiction issue, the Avs are not going to be seeking to cancel his contract. The only other way he isn’t back here IMO (other than if he’s charged with a crime) is if he is particularly uncooperative about seriously seeking and adhering to help…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad