Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Is this a rhetorical question or your inside voice?
His contract is up at the end of 24-25. I figure no way new ownership want's to take the ticket hit clearing out the old guard would cost, but Deadline '25 the might be amenable.

Also gives MacKinnon two off seasons to get in Sid's ear.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I thought it just closed.:sarcasm:
I mean you never really know it is closed until well after it is (the acceptance stage is difficult). It is rather possible it closed last summer, but that shouldn't be accepted right now...gotta push until this core is majority over 30.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
What would a gamble on an offer sheet for Lafreniere look like ?

Also would love Bennett and Hayyon but can't see them getting moved

Also yes to Luosterinen

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The window isn't closed, yet. It's an uphill climb, but as long as Mack, Rants, Landy and Makar are healthy they can take over a playoff series with some support.

The silver lining of CMac f***ing up this year is that we have more assets to use next year while Toew's is still on a steal of a contract to go all-in one more time.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Let’s say Cmac is willing to give Toews an 8 year extension this summer to keep the AAV foolishly low. What’s the lowest possible AAV Toews would be willing to take in that scenario? Remember it would give him 1 extra year than what he could get on the open market while getting that security an entire year early by signing this summer.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Let’s say Cmac is willing to give Toews an 8 year extension this summer to keep the AAV foolishly low. What’s the lowest possible AAV Toews would be willing to take in that scenario? Remember it would give him 1 extra year than what he could get on the open market while getting that security an entire year early by signing this summer.

What kind of a NTC/NMC?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
But wail like a gutshot hog that it is anyway.
Sometimes wounded hogs just need put down. There is a legitimate chance the window is closed. I don't think you can give up though until the core ages out. Which going by history is 2 years, 3 at the absolute most.

The window isn't closed, yet. It's an uphill climb, but as long as Mack, Rants, Landy and Makar are healthy they can take over a playoff series with some support.

The silver lining of CMac f***ing up this year is that we have more assets to use next year while Toew's is still on a steal of a contract to go all-in one more time.
It is really hard to say right now. Your caveat of 'some support' is a big, big crux of the issue. There just isn't much room for support. The Avs have ~69.5m tied up in 13 players right now (6F, 5D, 2G). Roughly 14m in cap room. To fit in a 2C, 5/6 of a bottom 6, Byram, and an extra defender (since that includes Dermy). If you figure Byram is $4m. You're down to 10m for 7 spots. Those 7 spots were taken by guys making ~12-13m last year (one with retention). Odds are pretty high the support is going to be worse next year.

Which bascially means the Avs have to make a trade to swap salary and move around how much is going where. That move is fairly un-predictable, but odds are it is swapping salary instead of cutting much.

Pretty much zero reason for Toews to go below 7... 7.5 is probably the floor IMO. Legit top pairing guy, 2 50+ points seasons without #1PP time, great defensively, performs in the playoffs... teams will line up to pay him 8-9.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I honestly don't think Toews takes anything less than 7M per long term. His agent likely tries to sell him as a top-10 defensemen in the league over the last few seasons and wants him to get paid. It's going to be his final contract for sure if it's long term.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't like any of these options lol.

I have accepted Jonathan Drouin will be an Av come training camp likely at 1M per season contract.

If the Avs can bring in guys like Kampf and Haula, our bottom-six might look a lot faster next season especially if Foudy makes the NHL jump.

If the Avs could pull off a Girard for Mittelstadt swap then we could potentially be running:

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Rantanen
Lehkonen - Haula - Foudy
XXX - Kampf - O'Connor

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Drouin being mentioned first is so on brand for an HF member. One of us! One of us! Well done, @The Mars Volchenkov.

It’s time.

image.jpg

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Drouin at 1 million would be fine, particularly since if he is playing like crap they could send him to the AHL with very little risk of being plucked via waivers or, hey, he gets taken on waivers. The guy has had off ice issues but at least was honest about and transparent (looking at you, Val). I am always rooting for a reclamation project so why not?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

I have accepted Jonathan Drouin will be an Av come training camp likely at 1M per season contract.

If the Avs can bring in guys like Kampf and Haula, our bottom-six might look a lot faster next season especially if Foudy makes the NHL jump.

If the Avs could pull off a Girard for Mittelstadt swap then we could potentially be running:

Lehkonen - Haula - Foudy
XXX - Kampf - O'Connor
I really think Buffalo is a prime partner. They need a good defensemen who has an offensive tilt and can help their power play. Avs have an excess of defensemen. Buffalo has an excess of forwards and depth. Buffalo can also take on salary (and retain) without batting an eye.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Lehkonen - Haula - Foudy
XXX - Kampf - O'Connor
It would probably be a PTO with his recent history.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I must say, I am finding it a bit amusing that after Buffalo stayed the course and remained patient with their boy Mittlestadt that some people on here are now banging the table to acquire him meanwhile back at the ranch, there is NO WAY that Newhook could possibly improve after 2 NHL seasons. :laugh:

(Ice time listed is amongst forwards on the team - kinda obvious but whatevs)

Mittlestadt
2017-18 Buffalo 6GP 1G 4A 5PTS [Only played 6 games]
2018-19 Buffalo 77GP 12G 13A 25PTS [13;27 TOI (10th on team) + 1:46 PPTOI/game (6th on team)]
*2019-20 Buffalo 31GP 4G 5A 9PTS (* +36 games in the AHL) [Sent down to AHL for development]
2020-21 Buffalo 41GP 10G 12A 22PTS [15;53 TOI (6th on team) + 2:13 PPTOI/game (5th on team)]
2021-22 Buffalo 40GP 6G 13A 19PTS [16;07 TOI (5th on team) + 2:31 PPTOI/game (4th on team)]
2022-23 Buffalo 82GP 15G 44A 59PTS [15;44 TOI (5th on team) + 2:06 PPTOI/game (6th on team)]

6 Full NHL Seasons

Newhook
2020-21 Colorado 6GP 0G 3A 3PTS [Only played 6 games]
2021-22 Colorado 71GP 13G 20A 33PTS [13:36 TOI (9th on team) + 1:23 PPTOI (9th on team)]
2022-23 Colorado 82GP 14G 16A 30PTS [13:57 TOI (8th on team) + 1:22 PPTOI/game (7th on team)]

2 Full NHL Seasons

This whole nonsense about Newhook having ZERO value because he wasn't able to fill-in the #2C spot as a 2nd year player is ridiculous. He's a young player that is still learning and progressing just like Mittlestadt was and just like Hayton was and still is.

I'm not doing Hayton's stats but he was Top-4 in forward ice time for both 5-on-5 and PP time. Give that kind of opportunity to Newhook and does he also put up an extra 13 points for a total of 43?? I think so.

My main point is that people have been unfairly dumping on Newhook on here all frikkin' season long because he couldn't replace Kadri while given a modest at best opportunity. JTC seems to get a pass from a lot of people because he was almost able to do it until he started to pout after the trade deadline, putting up a lousy 12 points in his last 30 games in an Avalanche uniform including playoffs.

Will Newhook eventually be able to develop into a Top-6 player? I don't know the answer to that but I am starting to question whether it's going to be possible under Jarred Bednar. We have not been able to develop a good young forward since he's been here and that's not to say it's his fault necessarily, it's just the way it goes.

In any case, with the Avs present core where it's at, they should NOT be in the business to be patient and wait for and maybe even worse, count on development.

@henchman21 -> Don't.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017

He did f*** up big time, but with hindsight in mind it's good to not have gone for a 2C rental when we end up missing Landy and Nuke.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017

Lehkonen - Haula - Foudy
XXX - Kampf - O'Connor
If Newhook isn't in the plan, surely you just swap Newhook for Mitteldstadt? I wouldn't even want to do that since Newhook will be the better player, but at least it makes some sense since we want to win now.

Reactions: Alienblood

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
If Cozens is available that's another story. He would be a perfect target. Would cost us Byram though.

Reactions: jabubenice

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If Newhook isn't in the plan, surely you just swap Newhook for Mitteldstadt? I wouldn't even want to do that since Newhook will be the better player, but at least it makes some sense since we want to win now.
I really think they need to make a play for an established #2C - damn the expense. Whether that's Lindholm, Bennett, Dubois, Scheifele or other. I don't think a work-in-progress sort of player fits our timeline.

The way I see it (and it's probably different than other people) we have another good 3 solid years of contending for the Cup AND management has the task to add good young players that will keep us a competitive team beyond that.

So when you think of a team like Dallas that was able to add players like Hintz and Robertson (both 2nd round picks) to essentially supplant and move their original core pieces down the lineup, that's kind of what you're looking for but your scouting staff has to be on-point and you've also got to get a little lucky too.

davalanche96

Jul 15, 2005
Canada
Avs need to trade for 2C: Lindholm, Bennett or sign UFA O’Reilly.

O’Reilly leadership good be good if Landeskog can’t return playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad