Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
You gotta look at last summer's projected roster, not what happened after injuries or bad performances.

You can swap JTC and Newhook at 2C/3C if you want, but Drouin this summer is replacing Landy last summer and Wood is ERod.
I see. I didn't notice the conversation was about the summer rating that still had Landy in the lineup. My mistake.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
How is JD replacing Landy? He didn't play at all last season. He's basically replacing LoC or LBN'. Or all the other bottom 6ers we had filling in the top lines last year.

That's a fair point, but we're trying to win, not just get past the second round again.

So, for the Cup, yeah he's Landy's replacement. That's probably not a good look, but we'll see.

If Landy doesn't return in the playoffs, and everything else doesn't either click, or they don't find counter measures for what doesn't by the TDL we're in trouble.

I'll take a chance instead of no chance though.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That's a power ranking not most improved. The Athletic, The Hockey News, stats geeks, AP, NHL, etc are not favorable to the Avs improvement in the offseason. It is pretty consistent though that New Jersey, Dallas, and Pittsburgh have had great offseasons on all of those.

Here's the stat geek that everyone likes to post:

His model has Avs at 98 points. IIRC Avs were 110+ last year on his model.

More or less most people have the Avs high in the rankings based on past results of the team and star power the Avs have. Not the moves they made making the team dramatically better.

One piece of revisionist history is going on here (in general, not specifically you) though. People are acting like last summer it was widespread that the Avs would have a trying season and the offseason was bad. It was actually the minority of people here screaming that. Most were expecting to contend for the Cup and that the West would be a breeze. The Avs were by far the best team and just needed to make a simple move or two. That was common here and posters who went against that were mocked for a while...

Lmao there is no f***ing way this guy's model has the Winnipeg Jets as the best team in hockey next season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It is his model... his tweets following are his opinion why the model is spitting it out. IE model loves NYI goalies and getting 2 guys for a full season.
His model is quite advanced then...its taking in consideration things like Chiarot's ice time and Buffalo's PK.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
His model should be thrown in the trash.

Seriously, the Jets?????
I'm personally not a fan of his model either. I've stated my own reservations on it and his evaluation ability from it numerous times. Yet people really love what his model provides and put a lot of weight to it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
His model is quite advanced then...its taking in consideration things like Chiarot's ice time and Buffalo's PK.
Yeah it is pretty advanced. What that adds up to and what it means it up for debate.

The private model's teams have are far more advanced than most anything out there. Doms and JFresh's might challenge some lower end teams out there or models that get sold to teams (not Mike Kelly's though as it is far more sophisticated), but the majority of teams and especially the top teams in that area have far, far more advancement in this area.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Dallas has the 2nd best center, winger (Rob > Kap), and defensemen in the division along with having the best depth and the 2nd best goalie (Saros > Otter... I don't expect Helly to be in the Central)
While I think Dallas is intriguing, if they were going to win the cup it was going to be last year. So much luck, very few injuries, high shooting percentages, higher output from some players than normal etc.

I think they'll do well this year, but I don't see them having the same run.

For the Avalanche, I'm going to really try to detach from the regular season and just hope the team gets into the top 8 in the west and gets in the PO's relatively healthy. That's a win in my book lol.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Yeah it is pretty advanced. What that adds up to and what it means it up for debate.

The private model's teams have are far more advanced than most anything out there. Doms and JFresh's might challenge some lower end teams out there or models that get sold to teams (not Mike Kelly's though as it is far more sophisticated), but the majority of teams and especially the top teams in that area have far, far more advancement in this area.
How more advanced can you get?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
How more advanced can you get?
A ton more... there's a team tracking not only pass completions, but passes completed in skates/on backhand/on forehand/in shooting position/bad passes... players who best accept bad passes and via what method (FTR Makar shines in this stat). Another that is tracking deflection success rate from various levels off the ice and which positions around the net are certain players more successful. If you can imagine a micro event on the ice, a team is tracking it.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't think it's homerism to think that Drouin will perform better playing with Nathan Fricking MacKinnon than with Mike Hoffman or Brendan broken Gallagher and that RyJo will play better beside Mikko Rantanen than beside Niedereiter/Duchene or whoever he played with the most in Nashville.
I'll echo what henchman said, we are just assuming that Drouin and RyJo will just work in the spots we are assuming they'll get.

Both are notoriously lazy don't give a shit players, that kind of shit doesn't really work with Bednar.

I hope it works in our favor and both guys excel, however it's completely disingenuous to ignore that there are huge question marks surrounding both guys.

Reactions: AvStock

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
So the Stars older players won’t be at risk of age regression but the Avs players certainly will. Got it.

Also, the Avs will have the same if not more man games lost than they did last year but Dallas will be completely healthy like last year. Got it.

Lastly, the team with the #1 odds to win the Cup will most likely be a wild card team. Got it.

Make it make sense.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So the Stars older players won’t be at risk of age regression but the Avs players certainly will. Got it.
Stars have youth that are taking over the team, we don't.

Again, the Stars are not Benn and Seguin anymore. They have been drafting real well while we were drafting like shit and trading our picks for rentals.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Again, the Stars are not Benn and Seguin anymore. They have been drafting real well while we were drafting like shit and trading our picks for rentals.
avs-cup-feature.jpg

Phew.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg

We have the superstars, they don’t.

Makar and Byram can both certainly have better years than they did last year.

There’s no sense in debating this though, posters will form opinions and run with them regardless. I mean, when adding a player like Duchene for Domi is considered a big upgrade, people are seeing two different realities.

I just think the pessimism around here is unwarranted for the literal favorites in the entire league.

Reactions: GoNordiquesGo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad