Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
@Avs_19

IMG_3185.gif

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
They added a 70-75 pts winger for nothing

So we are calling johansen a 40 point player but now duchene is a 70-75 point player!? Lol.. duchene has surpassed 60 three times in his career, johansen four times. Johansen has the better playoff experience and production. Anyways, I’m done arguing with Dallas fans, will see who’s wrong when the season begins.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I feel like that’s not being honest tho. People were hopeful including myself because they anticipated moves. Everyone knew we needed a 2C. That the Avs needed to make moves. The hope was that we’d be good enough to be fine early in the year but the deadline would be key.

If you told people last summer there would be no trades and we’d punt the deadline while losing Landeskog for the year/Nuke for the playoffs people would have been far less optimistic.

Honestly given the lack of moves/injuries it’s pretty crazy we won the division/finished like 3rd in the West. Took Seattle to 7 with zero depth. Even if the Avs added Hayes/Domi at the TDL they probably make some noise last year.
Yeah the expectation was of a move as high, but the realistic idea that it wouldn't be addressed was scoffed at too. It was that the Front Office was smart and a good 2C would be brought in if things failed at the position...even up to the bell ringing.

On the injuries... Avs are a consistently injured team with players who consistently miss time. Expectations should already be there that Makar will miss 10-15 games, so will MacK, Rants will miss some, Nuke too.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
This pretty much nails it.

I bring up stats on RyJo and Drouin and they don't matter, according to most on these boards I'm out to lunch, and we are going to magically make them better than they've been in years.

But these same people just assume Newhook and JTC will suck on their new teams.

Just because we signed or traded for someone doesn't instantly make them good and guys we traded away or didn't resign aren't instantly bad.

I feel like many in here just assume that management can do no wrong and coaching can just "fix" someone who has been struggling.

We'll see how it turns out but saying there aren't huge question marks throughout the roster is just disingenuous homer bias.
I don't think it's homerism to think that Drouin will perform better playing with Nathan Fricking MacKinnon than with Mike Hoffman or Brendan broken Gallagher and that RyJo will play better beside Mikko Rantanen than beside Niedereiter/Duchene or whoever he played with the most in Nashville.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think it's homerism to think that Drouin will perform better playing with Nathan Fricking MacKinnon than with Mike Hoffman or Brendan broken Gallagher and that RyJo will play better beside Mikko Rantanen than beside Niedereiter/Duchene or whoever he played with the most in Nashville.
It is an assumption that Drouin and RyJo will stick with those guys. Entirely possible that Drouin ends up with Colton, Pavel, or Meyers by game 20. RyJo could be between Lehky and LOC.

Reactions: chet1926

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Sure players were expected back, but outlook was pretty sunny (natural after a Cup win).

I personally don’t think the Avs beat Seattle with Nuke and certainly not Dallas. Landy is too big of a question in general. More or less though, Avs’ center depth got hugely exposed in the playoffs where it matters the most. It was addressed this offseason, but the questions are rather significant still.

FTR I vastly prefer this offseason. Avs are taking risks, but that is a shitload better than head in the sand pure projection. The cap is too much of an issue right now to really do much more than they have. If it doesn’t work, it just doesn’t work… they at least were aggressive.
I don't think this team is drastically different than last year's team.
Drouin replaces Erod
Colton replaces Compher
Wood replaces Newhook

The one big change is RyJo replaces the 2C that we never had last year.

We won the division last year with the old guys. We don't need the new guys to be fantastic to have a realistic chance to repeat. But we need them to be healthier come playoff time however to have a realistic chance at the Cup.

It is an assumption that Drouin and RyJo will stick with those guys. Entirely possible that Drouin ends up with Colton, Pavel, or Meyers by game 20. RyJo could be between Lehky and LOC.
Entirely possible also that they get struck by lightning...

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I actually think it is in the realm of possibility. If RyJo plays like last season... we're looking at Colton, simply a better version of Compher as the 2C. That would basically mean the Avs didn't improve at center then. The wing... maybe slightly better? Defense is roughly the same. Then we can get into all the age regression and injury possibilities...

This is from a team that barely won the division. Stars got better. Minny is about the same, maybe marginally better. Winnipeg is still up in the air... starting today they are deeper. Nashville should be slightly better. Chicago will be a bad team still, but drastically improved.

The team that I personally think could take a large step forward is St Louis... Hayes is better today than ROR was. Vrana was a risky bet, but talent is clear. Kapanen and Blais improve their bottom 6 and fit their style. Young guys coming in (Alexandrov, Grieg, Neighbors, Bolduc) have a chance to improve the team.
Pretty funny from a guy who claims to be objective that you're seeing every team in the division as improved, except the Avs who are extremely risky for a considerable number of factors... none of them affecting any of their 5-7 top players...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Drouin replaces Erod
Colton replaces Compher
Wood replaces Newhook

The one big change is RyJo replaces the 2C that we never had last year.

We won the division last year with the old guys. We don't need the new guys to be fantastic to have a realistic chance to repeat. But we need them to be healthier come playoff time however to have a realistic chance at the Cup.

Entirely possible also that they get struck by lightning...
I can get that debate, but no teams are 100% stagnant.

I mean lightning is like 1/15,000. Mack and Rants playing together for a stretch this year is almost guaranteed. Drouin struggling and pushed down the lineup is much more likely than him succeeding.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Drouin replaces Erod
Colton replaces Compher
Wood replaces Newhook
That's not what it is at all.

RyJo is replacing Newhook (2C)
Colton is replacing JTC (3C)
Wood is replacing eRod (middle 6 wing)
Drouin is replacing Landeskog (1st line wing)

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Pretty funny from a guy who claims to be objective that you're seeing every team in the division as improved, except the Avs who are extremely risky for a considerable number of factors... none of them affecting any of their 5-7 top players...
Have you missed that I have said I like what that Avs have done and am much happier than last offseason... or do you just ignore that to frame your argument the way you want?

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
That's not what it is at all.

RyJo is replacing JTC (2C)
Colton is replacing Newhook (3C)
Wood is replacing eRod (middle 6 wing)
Drouin is replacing Landeskog (1st line wing)
How is JD replacing Landy? He didn't play at all last season. He's basically replacing LoC or LBN'. Or all the other bottom 6ers we had filling in the top lines last year.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The NHL doesn't get the ratings of the NBA, MLB or NFL.
Sure. But the top players should be making more than what they currently do. The gap shouldn't be that high. And maybe Bettman and the owners should look in the mirror if the hard cap is contributing to the fact that the NBA has blown past the NHL in the last 30 years.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Sure. But the top players should be making more than what they currently do. The gap shouldn't be that high. And maybe Bettman and the owners should look in the mirror if the hard cap is contributing to the fact that the NBA has blown past the NHL in the last 30 years.
It's beyond that. In the NBA a star player can have a huge impact on the success of a franchise. Due to roster sizes, and the differences in the games themselves, a singular player just isn't going to have the same impact in the NHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's beyond that. In the NBA a star player can have a huge impact on the success of a franchise. Due to roster sizes, and the differences in the games themselves, a singular player just isn't going to have the same impact in the NHL.

That's the biggest one. Double the revenue and less than half the amount of players to spread it between. Frankly, by the market, NBA players should be getting 4x what a comparable NHL player is getting. I think Curry was over 50m last year... so... 12.5m with McDavid actually makes a ton of sense.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How is JD replacing Landy? He didn't play at all last season. He's basically replacing LoC or LBN'. Or all the other bottom 6ers we had filling in the top lines last year.
You gotta look at last summer's projected roster, not what happened after injuries or bad performances.

You can swap JTC and Newhook at 2C/3C if you want, but Drouin this summer is replacing Landy last summer and Wood is ERod.

Reactions: sethro109

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Another way to look at it, is that the NBA cap is 136 million divided by 15 players.

The NHL cap is 83.5 million divided by 20 players.

Considering what Hench posted on ratings for the past year, I'd say the average NHL star is a bit overpaid and the depth guys are a little under paid.

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad