Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Between DeAngelo going back, being interested in Karlsson and Pesce on the trade block, I really have no clue what Carolina is doing with its defense.

Those are rumours. The locker room wouldn’t be able to contain them

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
I'd like that. I think Timmins will get waived in all likelihood, and MacFarland should contact Treliving that if you are going down that path, we'll take Timmins for future considerations or like a 7th round pick.

That's not going to happen. Don't get me wrong they could absolutely trade him, but they would want something of value back, they would rather spend a 1st to dump Murray and say Jarnkrok than trade Nylander in a trade where the value is coming from dumping his salary. Nylander has been the best out of their "core-4" when it comes to the playoffs and is on a very value contract this season.
I'd take Timmins back in a heart beat. Despite his injury issues. Whether the Avs' get a 7th round pick from the Leafs, or we give them a 7th round pick to get him makes no difference to me.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yikes for Toronto
Yeah I guess you'd have to add something there but making the cap work is tough. Picks? I just personally don't think they will use Nylander as a rental, even if it would make sense in their timeline. They would trade him, and they really need help on defence.

Now that I think of it, trading a 1st line winger for a 38 year defenseman is dumb as f*** lol. Peak offseason when you have to come up with stuff like this.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah I guess you'd have to add something there but making the cap work is tough. Picks? I just personally don't think they will use Nylander as a rental, even if it would make sense in their timeline. They would trade him, and they really need help on defence.

Now that I think of it, trading a 1st line winger for a 38 year defenseman is dumb as f*** lol. Peak offseason when you have to come up with stuff like this.
Toronto signed Klingberg, they aren't going after Burns anyway.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Pittsburgh is really the place that makes the most sense for Karlsson. Ownership isn't going to allow Malkin, Crosby, or Letang to go anywhere else. They want to try to contend with that group (which I think everyone believes is logically over, but a last hurrah sort of thing). They need a guy who can take some of the load off Letang. They have some bad contracts they could toss San Jose's way to eliminate or at least lower the need to retain.

Granlund + Petry for Karlsson (0-1.5m retained) could be the basis of the salary side, then have to figure out the value from there.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Pittsburgh is really the place that makes the most sense for Karlsson. Ownership isn't going to allow Malkin, Crosby, or Letang to go anywhere else. They want to try to contend with that group (which I think everyone believes is logically over, but a last hurrah sort of thing). They need a guy who can take some of the load off Letang. They have some bad contracts they could toss San Jose's way to eliminate or at least lower the need to retain.

Granlund + Petry for Karlsson (0-1.5m retained) could be the basis of the salary side, then have to figure out the value from there.
Was just listening to today's Seravalli podcast.

He's saying that some teams call Grier and are OK to take EK retained off their hands but they aren't offering much in return.

Grier on the other hand is asking a lot for a 100 pts, Norris winner.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Was just listening to today's Seravalli podcast.

He's saying that some teams call Grier and are OK to take EK retained off their hands but they aren't offering much in return.

Grier on the other hand is asking a lot for a 100 pts, Norris winner.
The actual value in the deal is likely to come from a former late 1st round pick and a conditional pick. Something like if they make the conference finals, a 2nd round pick becomes a 1st sort of thing. I can't imagine the return (beyond salary dumps) being much more than that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I've been a pretty vocal proponent for Doms model for quite a long time now. His model isn't any different then most other major models at this point. It simply produces the information in a different format.
I’m not speaking to you specifically… just poking fun at the board as a whole when we pick and choose. I’m personally not a big fan of Dom’s model, but I can see the logic in it.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Dom’s models all provide info. That’s simply all they do. Not sure how much you can accept of what the models say. There are so many moving parts to all of the analysis he does.

The Avs were 25th overall for their offseason moves based on losing more goals than gaining. The problem is it takes the production and role from the players’ previous teams to evaluate.

Same thing for the contract methodology. The value is evaluated based on the team play as well.
Would Makar’s numbers be as good on any team in any system? No doubt he’d still be up there. But would he be at the top if he played for Anaheim or Chicago last year? Same goes for every evaluation.

I love looking at the models and what they provide. But I also know that context is a major part so I try not to allow them to influence me too much.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Dom’s models all provide info. That’s simply all they do. Not sure how much you can accept of what the models say. There are so many moving parts to all of the analysis he does.

The Avs were 25th overall for their offseason moves based on losing more goals than gaining. The problem is it takes the production and role from the players’ previous teams to evaluate.
They certainly do a lot more then that.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
When Compher and Newhook go elsewhere we are expecting them to still suck.

When RyJo and Drouin come here we are expecting them to stop sucking.

Dom's model isn't biased, fans are.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
When Compher and Newhook go elsewhere we are expecting them to still suck.

When RyJo and Drouin come here we are expecting them to stop sucking.

Dom's model isn't biased, fans are.
I never said or meant to imply that his models are biased. I’m not sure if you’re saying that’s what I said. That’s actually not really possible. He simply extracts data, regardless of what it says.

But yes, I agree with your overall point. If you agree with his conclusion, you believe it. If you don’t, then it’s terrible.

Reactions: Balthazar

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
They certainly do a lot more then that.
I don’t agree.

He simply draws conclusions based on data. He chooses the data points that he wants for his specific model and then offers a conclusion or opinion on the aggregate of those data points.
The data points that he chooses are in general, factual data. But the conclusions he draws from them are not factual. They’re simply additional information but with a significantly more scientific approach.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Said it a while back. Petry + Granlund + prospect + some sort of draft pick for Karlsson.

Retention probably not even needed because the salaries combined are only 250K apart.

Just get it over with already. The fit makes way too much sense cap wise. Every other team has to do a bunch of cap gymnastics to make it work.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Said it a while back. Petry + Granlund + prospect + some sort of draft pick for Karlsson.

Retention probably not even needed because the salaries combined are only 250K apart.

Just get it over with already. The fit makes way too much sense cap wise. Every other team has to do a bunch of cap gymnastics to make it work.
More or less the retention would allow Pens to get under the cap easily instead of gymnastics. But to me, this basis really makes the most sense for both teams.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Word is Petry doesnt want to go to SJ. That complicates things.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Well, he's got a 15 team no-trade list. I'm assuming SJ is on it. *LOL*
When he asked for a trade out of Montreal he wanted to be in the US and closer to family (he's from Michigan). SJ ain't close to his family so it's not surprising I guess.

The 15 teams are probably the whole West coast + Canadian teams.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
prestige-worldwide-step-brothers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad