Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This would be my preferred target. Could probably have him for free at this point, and it's a seamless fit
I'd like that. I think Timmins will get waived in all likelihood, and MacFarland should contact Treliving that if you are going down that path, we'll take Timmins for future considerations or like a 7th round pick.

Or they could trade Nylander for pieces or a cost cutting move
That's not going to happen. Don't get me wrong they could absolutely trade him, but they would want something of value back, they would rather spend a 1st to dump Murray and say Jarnkrok than trade Nylander in a trade where the value is coming from dumping his salary. Nylander has been the best out of their "core-4" when it comes to the playoffs and is on a very value contract this season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd like that. I think Timmins will get waived in all likelihood, and MacFarland should contact Treliving that if you are going down that path, we'll take Timmins for future considerations or like a 7th round pick.

That's not going to happen. Don't get me wrong they could absolutely trade him, but they would want something of value back, they would rather spend a 1st to dump Murray and say Jarnkrok than trade Nylander in a trade where the value is coming from dumping his salary. Nylander has been the best out of their "core-4" when it comes to the playoffs and is on a very value contract this season.

I think the most likely destination for Nylander would be St Louis. Where Buchnevich would be the key piece going back to Toronto, but St Louis would likely have to toss in 2 more pieces to make it work (or one more major piece like Bolduc). This would cut roughly a million and extend a year for a major savings next year while slightly degrading in the player, but in a much different style of play. That's mostly cost cutting, but pieces alongside it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Leafs have a thousand rentals on their roster this year, they are as all-in as it gets. They'll keep Nylander and let him walk next summer if they can't sign him.

Reactions: Chiarelli

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Leafs have a thousand rentals on their roster this year, they are as all-in as it gets. They'll keep Nylander and let him walk next summer if they can't sign him.
Do you think Treliving would do that after what happened with Gaudreau?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Good article here for anybody who ever believed the Avs didn't get Makar on a really good contract(Certainly a few of you).

It's basically the Mackinnom contract all over again only this time Makar was already a superstar when he signed and still got criminalcriminally underpaid.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Good article here for anybody who ever believed the Avs didn't get Makar on a really good contract(Certainly a few of you).

It's basically the Mackinnom contract all over again only this time Makar was already a superstar when he signed and still got criminalcriminally underpaid.
Just so I know how to comment, we are okay with Dom's model in this case?

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
I don't like reading stuff like this at all. If keeping Tkachuk was an option, would the Flames have kept him? Of course. They did well under the circumstances. We don't really know what else was out there, but I don't think a player like Huberdeau was available from somewhere else.

I fully expect this trade to look better for Cgy (that was hard to type) 2-3 years down the road. This past season? Definitely not. Could be an outlier in both directions though.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I fully expect this trade to look better for Cgy (that was hard to type) 2-3 years down the road. This past season? Definitely not. Could be an outlier in both directions though.
Seems like a pretty odd position to take. Tkachuk is 25. Huberdeau is 30, Weegar is 29. In 3 years Huberdeau is 33.

The trade is only going to look worse for Calgary as time passes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Seems like a pretty odd position to take. Tkachuk is 25. Huberdeau is 30, Weegar is 29. In 3 years Huberdeau is 33.

Something something Cole Schwindt something 2025 Draft is an all timer something.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Just so I know how to comment, we are okay with Dom's model in this case?
His model doesnt take in consideration the value of UFA vs RFA years, he's only looking at who is likely to overplay his contract.

This is why you've got Makar and Robertson in there with guys like McAvoy and Tkachuk even though they are completely different situations.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
His model doesnt take in consideration the value of UFA vs RFA years, he's only looking and who is likely to overplay his contract.

This is why you've got Makar and Robertson in there with guys like McAvoy and Tkachuk even though they are completely different situations.
I'm just being a smartass... we'll use the model when it fits what we like and disregard it when it spits out something we hate. I find the mental gymnastics around that entertaining while recognizing that is just human nature.

And even with McAvoy and Cheese, they were signed while RFAs. What his list basically is is just a list of the star players on their final RFA contracts that take them into unrestricted free agency... with Pasta added on at the end because Dom argued he should be the highest paid player in the league.

• Haha
Reactions: AvStock

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
We will probably never know what else was out there, so it's hard to make a judgment. But like I've said before, I find it stupid when I read stuff like "Calgary got fleeced" or "Flames look stupid now". They had no choice but to trade Tkachuk (or let him walk free). They got a pretty decent package for him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Calgary simply took the gamble on winning now vs a futures package. It is hard for teams to dive into a rebuild especially coming off a good season... the Florida package was likely the best package for winning immediately. Calgary got a top line winger, top pairing defensemen, and a couple futures for a young top line wing. On paper, this was a trade that best allowed them to compete last season. The Carolina deal was rumored to have Necas, 2 very good prospects, and a first.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Yeah, I like the Jarnkrok idea.

That dudes been ultra consistent over the years.

They’re all in as a forward group.

Defence… I guess they’ve just decided they don’t care about that anymore.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We will probably never know what else was out there, so it's hard to make a judgment. But like I've said before, I find it stupid when I read stuff like "Calgary got fleeced" or "Flames look stupid now". They had no choice but to trade Tkachuk (or let him walk free). They got a pretty decent package for him.

No, they look very stupid.

For trading Tkachuk for a 29 year old coming off a career year who was a UFA in 1 season, and then putting themselves into a situation where they basically had no choice but to sign and massively overpay said 29 year old to a long term contract that completely hampered the future of that team.

You could make the argument that the trade was a good one if they had just recognized the unfortunate situation they were in having lost both of its superstar players in one summer, and did the smart thing and started a fresh rebuild.

If they had done that... Then getting Huberdeau + Weegar + 1st for Tkachuk, turned around and flipped both Huberdeau and Weegar for a massive haul of futures, then the trade would have actually looked pretty great for them tbh. Instead they did the dumbest thing possible in all of it. Huberdeau and Weegar held all the negotiating power over the Flames in contract discussions because the Flames were so desperate to try and continue being a contender, and thus signed both guys to horrible contract(Moreso Huberdeau).

They would have gotten a 1st+ from Ottawa for Weegar, and multiple quality pieces for Huberdeau, probably 2 1st round picks + a good prospect sort of return.

Then they could have easily continued the scorched earth rebuild this summer with the likes of Hanifin, Lindholm, Toffoli, etc. All not wanting to re-sign with them.

They honestly could have come out of the situation with like ~8-10 1st round picks across the next 3 drafts and be well on there way towards a very fast and highly efficient rebuild that would be completed just in time for the new arena to be ready in Calgary.

Instead, they've saddled themselves with one(Maybe 2 with Kadri) of the worst contracts in the league for the next 8 years, they've got 4 impact level players that want out of the team and another that already left... They're a complete mess right now and have a really bleak looking future.

So maybe they didn't get "fleeced" in the trade itself(Although it isn't great either), but everything they've done as a reaction to the trade has made them looks very dumb quite frankly. Smells a lot like ownership meddling and focing a team to try and stay competitive.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
So maybe they didn't get "fleeced" in the trade itself(Although it isn't great either), but everything they've done as a reaction to the trade has made them looks very dumb quite frankly. Smells a lot like ownership meddling and focing a team to try and stay competitive.
I mean that's what a lot of stupid FO decisions usually boil down to. For sure, there are stupid GMs out there who misread their team and think they can be competitive with few moves (which usually fail), but a lot of the times these GMs are hired because that's what the owner wants to hear.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Between DeAngelo going back, being interested in Karlsson and Pesce on the trade block, I really have no clue what Carolina is doing with its defense.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Between DeAngelo going back, being interested in Karlsson and Pesce on the trade block, I really have no clue what Carolina is doing with its defense.
One can dream... A 3-team monster blockbuster trade:

To Sharks: William Nylander, Matt Murray, Calle Järnkrok (or whatever to make the cap work for the Leafs)
To Carolina: Erik Karlsson (somewhat retained)
To Toronto: Brent Burns

Add picks to balance out if you wish.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Perhaps the DeAngelo signing is simply plan B to the Karlsson deal falling apart.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
One can dream... A 3-team monster blockbuster trade:

To Sharks: William Nylander, Matt Murray, Calle Järnkrok (or whatever to make the cap work for the Leafs)
To Carolina: Erik Karlsson (somewhat retained)
To Toronto: Brent Burns

Add picks to balance out if you wish.
Yikes for Toronto

Reactions: Vk1ing and LOFIN

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I don’t even think he’s the highest Av, Sakic got a 15 million dollar signing bonus with the NYR offersheet and then made 2 millions in annual salary that year for 17 million total.
Crazy I was just a kid watching the Avs the year they moved to Colorado. I never followed off-season news and whatnot. I had no idea about that entire incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad