2023-2024 Playoff Tracker - updated after each DET game

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
We don't win the Cup with this roster (including Kasper, Danielsson, Buch, Pelikka) and drafting at 14-18 range. What's the point to stretch this period further?
What's the point of drafting 8-12? That's not going to get you any closer. We'd have to scrap Mo, Ray, and Ed on top of Larkin to get anywhere close to bottom 5. And bottom five doesn't guarantee you anything, since we've been there and apparently still don't have anything worthwhile. So what's the point?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
A few those you wrote on 2022 played in 2023.

But yeah, you are right. There has been a lot of turnover from year to year.

Agreed.

I get we all are excited at the prospect of the Wings being in the playoffs, but people shouldn't confuse that with thinking this roster is the foundation for the team that will hopefully be making long playoff runs. It's still very much a team of placeholders.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Larkin turns 28 next year.

Gotta think if the Wings don't make the playoffs in 2024-2025 or 2025-2026 that Larkin gets traded for a haul and we recenter on the under 23 guys as our core.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Agreed.

I get we all are excited at the prospect of the Wings being in the playoffs, but people shouldn't confuse that with thinking this roster is the foundation for the team that will hopefully be making long playoff runs. It's still very much a team of placeholders.
But let's extrapolate that notion and discuss the probable outcomes.

Fast forward a few years. Kids like Kasper, Danielson, and Mazur are on the team, but are still growing into their roles. Cossa might even be here in a timeshare situation. But Larkin is now 30, and will begin to slowly decline, especially with speed being an element to his game. And guys like Compher and Copp, if they're still here, will also have declining value. And even if Kane re-signs this summer, I don't see him still here more than another year or two.

My point is that the pending influx of youth, versus the expected declines and losses, appears to be either a plateau or at best a modest increase from current overall talent, rather than a significant boost. So unless the grand plan is to just be a younger bubble team than they are now...where does the additional talent come from? It isn't realistic to expect to draft one or more cornerstones / game breakers when their draft stock will only get poorer. And if picks from here on out just land them the caliber of depth players that they are currently filling the lineup with, do they think they'll be able to con another team into dealing them a Cadillac in exchange for a handful of Accords?

It just feels like, on top of any internal development, they'll need a significant boost or two from trades or free agency. And it's tough to see a realistic path for that at the moment.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Larkin turns 28 next year.

Gotta think if the Wings don't make the playoffs in 2024-2025 or 2025-2026 that Larkin gets traded for a haul and we recenter on the under 23 guys as our core.
Based on recent trades around the league, I find it hard to imagine Detroit would actually get a haul for Larkin that then ends up as talent more valuable than Larkin currently is. Plus it would then pigeonhole the team into needing a 1C and a 2C. (I think it's still possible that one of Danielson or Kasper will end up as their 2C. But neither is a given, and this path would introduce an even larger hole to fill.)

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
What's the point of drafting 8-12? That's not going to get you any closer. We'd have to scrap Mo, Ray, and Ed on top of Larkin to get anywhere close to bottom 5. And bottom five doesn't guarantee you anything, since we've been there and apparently still don't have anything worthwhile. So what's the point?
Exactly. We need to sell now very carefully building a team around Seider, maybe Edvinsson, selling the rest of the players. And yes, it includes Raymond (which is OK top-3 at best; we are not talking about Hossa here), Ras, Kasper, and the rest. We could get an excellent return and start over again with rebuild. Cossa and Augustine might be ready by then.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Based on recent trades around the league, I find it hard to imagine Detroit would actually get a haul for Larkin that then ends up as talent more valuable than Larkin currently is. Plus it would then pigeonhole the team into needing a 1C and a 2C. (I think it's still possible that one of Danielson or Kasper will end up as their 2C. But neither is a given, and this path would introduce an even larger hole to fill.)
We can get at least 1st, excellent prospect and maybe something else. Let's say from Buffalo or Dallas.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
We can get at least 1st, excellent prospect and maybe something else. Let's say from Buffalo or Dallas.
Yet none of those pieces will be better than Larkin is now... So what's the point?

Just accumulating more "meh" pieces and we are right back where you believe the team currently is.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Larkin has a complete no trade for the first 5 years of his new 8 year deal. He isn't going anywhere for a while, unless he chooses to be traded.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
But let's extrapolate that notion and discuss the probable outcomes.

Fast forward a few years. Kids like Kasper, Danielson, and Mazur are on the team, but are still growing into their roles. Cossa might even be here in a timeshare situation. But Larkin is now 30, and will begin to slowly decline, especially with speed being an element to his game. And guys like Compher and Copp, if they're still here, will also have declining value. And even if Kane re-signs this summer, I don't see him still here more than another year or two.

My point is that the pending influx of youth, versus the expected declines and losses, appears to be either a plateau or at best a modest increase from current overall talent, rather than a significant boost. So unless the grand plan is to just be a younger bubble team than they are now...where does the additional talent come from? It isn't realistic to expect to draft one or more cornerstones / game breakers when their draft stock will only get poorer. And if picks from here on out just land them the caliber of depth players that they are currently filling the lineup with, do they think they'll be able to con another team into dealing them a Cadillac in exchange for a handful of Accords?

It just feels like, on top of any internal development, they'll need a significant boost or two from trades or free agency. And it's tough to see a realistic path for that at the moment.
I don't disagree. It's the tough reality of rebuilding in a capped league when you don't draft a Crosby and Malkin, or Kane/Toews/Keith or McDavid/Draisatl.

It's gonna take good drafting, good trades, good UFA signings and a healthy dose of luck.

I understand the frustration and fear of being trapped in no man's land. I just don't understand what a viable alternative is to this path, which hasn't even played out yet.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I understand the frustration and fear of being trapped in no man's land. I just don't understand what a viable alternative is to this path, which hasn't even played out yet.
Fair. At the moment my only thought is that the general approach will likely require a continued element of, "strike when the opportunity arises". We saw that in the Debrincat trade, but otherwise it's been 99 percent playing the long game. I just hope that percentage shifts at least a bit in the next year or two.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Fair. At the moment my only thought is that the general approach will likely require a continued element of, "strike when the opportunity arises". We saw that in the Debrincat trade, but otherwise it's been 99 percent playing the long game. I just hope that percentage shifts at least a bit in the next year or two.

Agreed. I think it's by a lot of incremental gains, which isn't sexy or fast. Trading De La Rose for a Fabbri. Bringing in a DeBrincat. Then hopefully landing a big fish now and then, which this season was Kane. And hope that as the team becomes more competitive the ability to sign good UFAs also improves.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Yet none of those pieces will be better than Larkin is now... So what's the point?

Just accumulating more "meh" pieces and we are right back where you believe the team currently is.
Some if those pieces might be Datsyuk, or Zetterberg, or Lidstrom. Kucherov, after all. That's why. You don't build a cup contender without elite players. And yes, just like Columbus, Calgary, Montreal and other useless teams we need to hope for the draft luck.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Agreed. I think it's by a lot of incremental gains, which isn't sexy or fast. Trading De La Rose for a Fabbri. Bringing in a DeBrincat. Then hopefully landing a big fish now and then, which this season was Kane. And hope that as the team becomes more competitive the ability to sign good UFAs also improves.
Yeah. And I'm not wanting to rush any of the kids. Just not sure how to land another 1-2 guys who have the ability to drive the play instead of just passively winging it around the boards for the millionth time.

Done if those pieces might be GeForce v, Datsyuk, or Zetterberg, or Lidstrom. Kucherov, after all. That's why. You don't build a cup contender without elite players. And yes, just like Columbus, Calgary, Montreal and other useless teams we need to hope for the draft luck.
Who was elite on the St Louis team that won it all? Or Vegas? I'd love the next Datsyuk too, but 1) I don't see a path for Detroit to land one, and 2) teams can (sometimes) still win without one.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
No one is ready. Me too. I just don't see how we build around an excellent but aging player who is basically the only game changer we have.
raymond is becoming that game changer though. He's also only 21. Danielson will be the next larkin, hopefully without the neck injuries (just stay away from benn and he should be fine I suppose). Then you got guys like kasper and mazur and aljo and ASP up front with augustine and cossa in back. Not everyone is going to be a slam dunk top line nhler but you could make the argument for danielson, asp, and one of the goalies.

Augustine is the next Quick (i am pretty confident in saying that). Cossa could be our Pekka Rinne and I think we all would have loved to have Rinne as our goalie when he was playing. I think Danielson will be our next big top6 player and ASP is looking like a makar/hughes playmaker in SHL right now. I still hold ALJO in a very high regard and think he is being slept on as a guaranteed top 4 D.

Ed - Seider
ALJO - ASP

That looks like a top 5 NHL d-core and they should all be under 25 when they play together. (hoping for ASP next year but doubt it and that's fine. ALJO I think makes the team next year after hopefully get rid of maatta, ghost, and holl)

Walman - Seider
Ed - Petry
Aljo - Chiarot

Could flip walman and chiarot as chiarot and seider seem to have found their footing. Then this makes Walman expendable (as I have previous suggested much to the dismay of this forum lol). Aljo can play both sides. Then you got Tuomisto that is looking great. Not even mentioning Wallinder.

Our prospects are going to be fine.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Yeah. And I'm not wanting to rush any of the kids. Just not sure how to land another 1-2 guys who have the ability to drive the play instead of just passively winging it around the boards for the millionth time.

Who was elite on the St Louis team that won it all? Or Vegas? I'd love the next Datsyuk too, but 1) I don't see a path for Detroit to land one, and 2) teams can (sometimes) still win without one.
Those teams had good coaching and a strategy that everyone bought into. A system and game plan.

Tell me, after 78 games what is our strategy, identity, and game plan under Lalonde? What are we trying to do consistently? I still haven’t figured it out.

raymond is becoming that game changer though. He's also only 21. Danielson will be the next larkin, hopefully without the neck injuries (just stay away from benn and he should be fine I suppose). Then you got guys like kasper and mazur and aljo and ASP up front with augustine and cossa in back. Not everyone is going to be a slam dunk top line nhler but you could make the argument for danielson, asp, and one of the goalies.

Augustine is the next Quick (i am pretty confident in saying that). Cossa could be our Pekka Rinne and I think we all would have loved to have Rinne as our goalie when he was playing. I think Danielson will be our next big top6 player and ASP is looking like a makar/hughes playmaker in SHL right now. I still hold ALJO in a very high regard and think he is being slept on as a guaranteed top 4 D.

Ed - Seider
ALJO - ASP

That looks like a top 5 NHL d-core and they should all be under 25 when they play together. (hoping for ASP next year but doubt it and that's fine. ALJO I think makes the team next year after hopefully get rid of maatta, ghost, and holl)

Walman - Seider
Ed - Petry
Aljo - Chiarot

Could flip walman and chiarot as chiarot and seider seem to have found their footing. Then this makes Walman expendable (as I have previous suggested much to the dismay of this forum lol). Aljo can play both sides. Then you got Tuomisto that is looking great. Not even mentioning Wallinder.

Petry shouldn’t play a single shift next season in a Wings uniform. I don’t care if his father was Ty Cobb and his mother was Barry Sanders.

Reactions: DamonDRW

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland

Ed - Seider
ALJO - ASP

Walman - Seider
Ed - Petry
Aljo - Chiarot

No, these are just dreams. Have you seen young Zetterberg or Datsyuk or maybe Malkin, Makar to n their rookie seasons? It was evident from the first shift they are special. And yes, any team that is expected to contend needs at least one of those.

There is also an alternative way, e.g. Vegas path. However it requires all the luck n the world with Buffalo trading 1st line center for peanuts and Tampa forgetting about Marchessault.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I don't disagree. It's the tough reality of rebuilding in a capped league when you don't draft a Crosby and Malkin, or Kane/Toews/Keith or McDavid/Draisatl.

It's gonna take good drafting, good trades, good UFA signings and a healthy dose of luck.

Exactly, we don't know what trades may be made, how are draft picks are going to develop. We're still in a rebuild, and yet everyone thinks we should go backwards already.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
No, these are just dreams. Have you seen young Zetterberg or Datsyuk or maybe Malkin, Makar to n their rookie seasons? It was evident from the first shift they are special. And yes, any team that is expected to contend needs at least one of those.

There is also an alternative way, e.g. Vegas path. However it requires all the luck n the world with Buffalo trading 1st line center for peanuts and Tampa forgetting about Marchessault.
raymond and seider fit what you are saying. So will Danielson and probably ASP. Danielson had a great preseason, he was put out there on a 5-on-3 and made key plays against the top players on TML. Yes, it's preseason, but if you watched that game, it definitely looked like they were trying in that game.

Petry shouldn’t play a single shift next season in a Wings uniform. I don’t care if his father was Ty Cobb and his mother was Barry Sanders.
I'm not 100% against it but I understand the sentiment.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
raymond and seider fit what you are saying. So will Danielson and probably ASP. Danielson had a great preseason, he was put out there on a 5-on-3 and made key plays against the top players on TML. Yes, it's preseason, but if you watched that game, it definitely looked like they were trying in that game.

No, just simply no. At these early stages it is just an "eye test" but none of our young players will be elite. The best is Seider that has Parayko potential. You need a team full of "paraykos" to win something in this league.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Some if those pieces might be Datsyuk, or Zetterberg, or Lidstrom. Kucherov, after all. That's why. You don't build a cup contender without elite players. And yes, just like Columbus, Calgary, Montreal and other useless teams we need to hope for the draft luck.
What if those pieces are already in the pipeline? Remember that these kids came over at like 22. Then what happens if these kids emerge and we traded away all the supporting players? We may as well let this group of kids grow and try. No more or less certain to have success if you blow it up now. We are too far in.

Reactions: SantosHalper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad