2023-2024 Playoff Tracker - updated after each DET game

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I feel like Eric Karlsson never playing for the Wings is a missed connection. Such a Wings hay day type of defenseman.

Reactions: WF19

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Just gonna show each teams last 5 games of season.

TeamWin %PtsRWGRSAT
6th
SUN
7th
MON
8th…….
TUE
9th…….
WED
10th
THU
11th…...
FRI
12th
SAT
13th…..
SUN
14th
MON
15th…..
TUE
16th…..
WED
17th….
L5…....
MET3NYI.55285265NYRMTL@ NYR@ NJDPIT0-0-0
WC2DET.54584275WSH@ PIT@ TORMTL@ MTL0-0-0
PIT.53984314OTLDETBOSNSH@ NYI0-0-1
WSH.53983285@ DET@ BUFTBLBOS@ PHI0-0-0
PHI.53283284LOSS@ MTL@ NYRNJDWSH0-1-0

Detroit Red Wings Playoff Chances​

Did not play, playoff odds up 0.3 to 70.1%
84 points 38 31-8

Last edited:
Reactions: Stony Curtis

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
1712634649703.png

Big winners of the night lol.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Unfortunately I share your pessimism…At 27 Larkin has played in 5 playoff games while Yzerman played in 57 at the same age…We are so far away from contending 😐

To be fair, it was quite easy to make the playoffs then. 16 out of 21 teams in the early part of Yzerman's career made the playoffs, and a good number of them had losing records. We also then added MUCH MUCH better players to Yzerman who is MUCH MUCH better than Larkin ever has or will be.

The NHL is different than it was in Yzerman's era. Those were dominant all-star teams with no cap. It's why the top spending teams (Devils, Avalanche, Wings, Stars) gobbled up all the Stanley Cup appearances.

The bar for a contender now is a bit lower due to the parity that's been imposed with the draft and cap. You used to be able to circle 4 teams to start the season every year you knew were going to be in the Cup finals. Now, even at the end of the year, there's 8 teams you can make a real solid case for. Maybe 10?

Boston, Florida, Toronto, NYR, Carolina, Tampa, Dallas, Colorado, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Edmonton.

Some of those more than others but I don't bat an eye if any of them get to the finals or win the Cup this year. Everyone is bunched together with strengths and flaws. The Wings just need to get into that top grouping and be healthy and click when playoffs come.

Not all the money spenders did well, *cough Rangers *cough, hehe!

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I’ll be at the final game in Montreal. Hopefully it’s a practice game for the playoffs… or worst case a meaningful game.

I think the next 2 games will seal the fate of this team. Hopefully they show up and are ready to play from puck drop

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I see wings beating Caps then losing to Pens.

Wings are flying like a wounded bird right now.
I think the wings need to win both remaining home games and go at least 0.500 on the road, if all plays out as I think, there will be a 3 way tie for 91 points with Islanders, Pens and Wings, so the wings need to keep the tie breaker with the Isles to get in to the dance.

I have the Isles with an OTL tonight (and the final game with the Pens), but if the Rags beat them in Regulation tonight, the wings have a little wiggle room, but yes, wings need to beat the Caps tonight for sure, then they can most likely weather a 1-1-1 on the road (a Pens win would be awesome, but looking at their play of late, a tall order indeed, so likely need a 1-0-1 with Leafs and Habs on the road)

And projections can and will change daily based on results, but the wings need to take care of business and win hockey games they are expected to.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Winning the next 2 puts them in a phenomenal spot
Yes. In the scenario we win the next 2, I’ll assume 1 win in the last 3 games, minimum. (All regulation wins)

That would give us 90 points with 30 RW.

To pass us…
PIT would need to go 3-0-0
WSH would need to go 3-0-1
PHI would need to go 3-0-1

In the above scenario if we were to win 2 of the last 3 we’ve punched our own ticket and secured the playoffs.

Last edited:

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Lots of interesting scenarios the last week. Wings are in control of WC destiny but chance of sweeping all five almost nil. But, two of the other four also can't sweep remaining games. Just a guess, but going 3-1-1 should be enough so long as the three wins include at least one in regulation vs. Wash/Pit. All five still in the hunt play games vs. playoff teams that are better; NYI, Pit and Wash all have two. A couple of those tough games though may be meaningless for the good teams, key players could sit or team not be fully interested. With Pit-NYI and Wash-Phi for those teams' final games, Wings may need the right team to win in regulation or OT/SO. A playoff spot (or even two) may be determined by a shootout in one or both of those games.

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think Tampa's days are already numbered. Matthews could score 100 and I wouldn't respect Toronto when the games matter. Boston is good but definitely beatable.

Florida should be a huge pain for awhile yet. But in another couple years the division won't be the gauntlet it is now.
I think the division would still be a gauntlet to be honest.

Let's say after next year TBL drop off (they still have vasi, kucherov, hedman, point...so there still going to be in the 14-20 draft range if we are being honest). NJD should have been in the conversation this year, but they had bad goaltending and whatever. They have the players to be a great team. Buffalo has all the players, they just can never put it together, but it feels like they should be pushing this next couple years too.

Ottawa might be cash strapped for a bit (no basis for this opinion just my feels) but they have the type of players that should do well (the younger ones). If people start adopting the yzerman strategy where you insulate your youngest stars with the right type of leadership veterans, they could do pretty well.

Yes. In the scenario we win the next 2, I’ll assume 1 win in the last 3 games, minimum. (All regulation wins)

That would give us 90 points with 30 RW.

To pass us…
PIT would need to go 3-0-0
WSH would need to go 3-0-1
PHI would need to go 3-0-1

In the above scenario if we were to win 2 of the last 3 we’ve punched our own ticket and secured the playoffs.
Win and get in baby. Fu*k getting the help from the opposing teams. Win your games, do your job.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think the division would still be a gauntlet to be honest.

Let's say after next year TBL drop off (they still have vasi, kucherov, hedman, point...so there still going to be in the 14-20 draft range if we are being honest). NJD should have been in the conversation this year, but they had bad goaltending and whatever. They have the players to be a great team. Buffalo has all the players, they just can never put it together, but it feels like they should be pushing this next couple years too.

Ottawa might be cash strapped for a bit (no basis for this opinion just my feels) but they have the type of players that should do well (the younger ones). If people start adopting the yzerman strategy where you insulate your youngest stars with the right type of leadership veterans, they could do pretty well.

Win and get in baby. Fu*k getting the help from the opposing teams. Win your games, do your job.

A significant factor in my forecast is my expectation that Detroit is noticeably better in two years than they are now.

If they still have a bubble team roster, then yeah, it'll still be down to the wire for getting in. If Raymond, Seider, and Ed all look great, plus another kid or two has stepped up, plus they made a hockey trade or two...then suddenly most of what you listed isn't so scary anymore, because Detroit is likely a top 5 or 6 team in the conference, and it's more a case of battling for third in the division than battling for the second Wild Card.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad