2023-2024 Playoff Tracker - updated after each DET game

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
A significant factor in my forecast is my expectation that Detroit is noticeably better in two years than they are now.

If they still have a bubble team roster, then yeah, it'll still be down to the wire for getting in. If Raymond, Seider, and Ed all look great, plus another kid or two has stepped up, plus they made a hockey trade or two...then suddenly most of what you listed isn't so scary anymore, because Detroit is likely a top 5 or 6 team in the conference, and it's more a case of battling for third in the division than battling for the second Wild Card.
I'm not remotely concerned about Buffalo or Ottawa. Those teams got their lottery luck and/or surprise breakouts (Don't try to tell me you called Tage Thompson or Alex Tuch becoming legitimate first line players) and they're still behind Detroit. Like Ottawa is gonna have to start shipping some of the young, about to break out big, stars out or their medium age good players. Buffalo is gonna have to do the same to land a notable upgrade in net.

It's kinda like Toronto in that to get markedly better, they're going to have to shake it up big and give up some of the things that might make them scary. Detroit is still ascending because their good young prospects haven't broken into the league yet.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I see wings beating Caps then losing to Pens.

Wings are flying like a wounded bird right now.
Pens have been hot lately, we struggle on the road.
But the pressure is becoming a factor.
I think the wings need to win both remaining home games and go at least 0.500 on the road, if all plays out as I think, there will be a 3 way tie for 91 points with Islanders, Pens and Wings, so the wings need to keep the tie breaker with the Isles to get in to the dance.

I have the Isles with an OTL tonight (and the final game with the Pens), but if the Rags beat them in Regulation tonight, the wings have a little wiggle room, but yes, wings need to beat the Caps tonight for sure, then they can most likely weather a 1-1-1 on the road (a Pens win would be awesome, but looking at their play of late, a tall order indeed, so likely need a 1-0-1 with Leafs and Habs on the road)

And projections can and will change daily based on results, but the wings need to take care of business and win hockey games they are expected to.
If we win next 2 we are most probably in.
If NYI win all their games they finish with 95 points.
If Pens win all their games they finish with 90 points (they lose to us)
If Caps win all their games they finish with 91.
Philly 91.

Do they play each others?

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC

If we win next 2 we are most probably in.
If NYI win all their games they finish with 95 points.
If Pens win all their games they finish with 90 points (they lose to us)
If Caps win all their games they finish with 91.
Philly 91.

Do they play each others?
April 16, Washington at Philadelphia and April 17th Pittsburgh at Islanders

April 16, Washington at Philadelphia and April 17th Pittsburgh at Islanders
It may come to regulation wins and likely decided the last game of the year.

Reactions: 14ari13

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

^ that's a huge part of Yzerman's development plan. Having the young guys on the team face big-stage pressure so they can learn to overcome. Missing the playoffs is less of an issue. The pressure they are faced trying to achieve it is the true lesson here. Getting so close but failing by a point will be heartbreak and despair for the players. But will make them incredibly more hungry next season.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
^ that's a huge part of Yzerman's development plan. Having the young guys on the team face big-stage pressure so they can learn to overcome. Missing the playoffs is less of an issue. The pressure they are faced trying to achieve it is the true lesson here. Getting so close but failing by a point will be heartbreak and despair for the players. But will make them incredibly more hungry next season.
And learn to handle the pressure, to some extent.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Seriously Rangers?!?!?, couldn't beat the Penguins last week, then beat us, now currently getting hammered by the Islanders.

Hate you guys.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
woah now the Flyers are losing 6-0 to Montreal and there's still a period left to go

what a trainwreck of a team

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Thursday has the potential to be highly depressing. Like, clinically depressed, put me in a padded room in a straight jacket depressed.

Reactions: raymond23

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Seriously Rangers?!?!?, couldn't beat the Penguins last week, then beat us, now currently getting hammered by the Islanders.

Hate you guys.
Red Wings really not need to worry about out of town scores and win the game they're playing...I guess they're all set for tee-times at the end of the month.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Thursday has the potential to be highly depressing. Like, clinically depressed, put me in a padded room in a straight jacket depressed.
Wings won't get a powerplay til the third but they'll be losing 3-0 by then so it won't matter.

4-12-2 since the 8-3 drubbing of Washington put the Wings in striking distance of 3rd in the division. Shut out 4 times in 18 games. Multiple "biggest game of the last 8 years" and they come out dead. Something's gotta change in the offseason.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
TeamWin %PtsRWGRSAT
6th
SUN
7th
MON
8th…….
TUE
9th…….
WED
10th
THU
11th…...
FRI
12th
SAT
13th…..
SUN
14th
MON
15th…..
TUE
16th…..
WED
17th….
L5…....
MET3NYI.55887274WINMTL@ NYR@ NJDPIT1-0-0
WC2WSH.54585294WIN@ BUFTBLBOS@ PHI1-0-0
PIT.53884314OTLDETBOSNSH@ NYI0-0-1
DET.53884274LOSS@ PIT@ TORMTL@ MTL0-1-0
PHI.52583283LOSSLOSS@ NYRNJDWSH0-2-0

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
143b8d36-714f-4b1f-afa4-af260f2ad8d4_text.gif

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
We need to stop everything and start over again with a new rebuild. The sooner our management will realize that the better we'll be in the long run.
The roster absolutely needs a shake up, either to actually contend while Larkin is still part of the plan, or to do as you suggest.

But if it's the latter, then the past season or two has been terrible roster management by Yzerman. You don't add THIS many vets to then start over.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The roster absolutely needs a shake up, either to actually contend while Larkin is still part of the plan, or to do as you suggest.

But if it's the latter, then the past season or two has been terrible roster management by Yzerman. You don't add THIS many vets to then start over.

Every season has been a shakeup.

Look at the turnover from 2 years ago:
-2022-
Pius Suter
Tyler Bertuzzi
Filip Hronek
Sam Gagne
Vladislav Namestnikov
Jakub Vrana
Filip Zadina
Adam Erne
Mark Staal
Nick Leddy
Gustav Lindstrom
Danny Dekeyser
Oskar Sundqvist
Jordan Oesterle
Givani Smith
Carter Rowney
Mitchell Stephens
Alex Nedeljkovic

-2023 -
Dominik Kubalik
Alex Chiasson
Robert Hagg
Magnus Hellberg

I'm probably forgetting some.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
This seems more painful than pleasurable as a fan lately. I still keep tuning in and the team is basically in line with what I thought and had hoped all off season.. just make the games count. Something very anti climatic to the whole last 20 games.
Hopefully if we do miss it's not a somber mood, and it's more motivation on every part of the organization. Getting this close and letting it slip should/would be lighting a fire under everyones ass. I just want them to make it for Larkin more than anyone but we will see. The last 4 games are going to test alot of fans, myself included.

One Horse Town

Nov 29, 2023
What I really get from this thread is that some people panic more easily than others.
Well.........They are on the outside looking in, right? And they haven't played consistent hockey in over a month and half, right? They simply can NOT help themselves, right?

Is that panic?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad