NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Dryden, ON
This timeline makes little sense. Laine was traded to Columbus in January 2021. So he basically was only a regular Blue Jacket starting in the 21-22 season. So likely the time anybody complained about him, if that happened, was a full 3 years after this says they did.
Laine played 45 out of 56 games with Columbus putting up 10 goals and 11 assists along with a team-worst -29 in 2020-21. That season started in January 2021.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The conditions on that Vegas 2025 1st pick are this - if the Vegas pick falls into the top 10 then San Jose can trade either their own 2025 pick or the Vegas pick to Nashville. In other words it's pretty much guaranteed that the Vegas pick will go to Nashville.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
So it would have taken Lysell likely to get him.

I would have done it - but I would have been iffy about it.

All considered, that's not a bad trade.
I don't want a guy with baggage, however talented.

Lysell has his questions, but I would rather see what he can do before moving on. And I would not want to move on with Patrick Laine.

But hey, that's me.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Bruins should have looked into that deal
Not sure which team you would be dealing with here...

Letourneau + 2025 1st + Bussi for Askarov?

or

Swayman for 1st+Edstrom+Chrona? (Which I can't see being what you'd be advocating for)

But if they were going to be dealing for Askarov and then signing Swayman to a 7 or 8 year contract, Askarov wouldn't extend here like he did in SJ. He wanted out of NAS because they had committed long term to Saros.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
1724630216491.jpeg

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Laine played 45 out of 56 games with Columbus putting up 10 goals and 11 assists along with a team-worst -29 in 2020-21. That season started in January 2021.
Columbus is a hellhole and worse than Winnipeg they knew he wanted out and screwed him sending him there.

Montreal has the best track record of anyone when it comes to talented Euros with attitude problems. This is going to work out well for the toilet seats. We should have gone for him the Jackets owe us from taking Peake off their hands and coughin up a 3rd.

Reactions: rfournier103

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Dryden, ON
Columbus is a hellhole and worse than Winnipeg they knew he wanted out and screwed him sending him there.

Montreal has the best track record of anyone when it comes to talented Euros with attitude problems. This is going to work out well for the toilet seats. We should have gone for him the Jackets owe us from taking Peake off their hands and coughin up a 3rd.
I was just correcting the older post claiming he wasn’t a regular Blue Jacket that season.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Not sure which team you would be dealing with here...

Letourneau + 2025 1st + Bussi for Askarov?

or

Swayman for 1st+Edstrom+Chrona? (Which I can't see being what you'd be advocating for)

But if they were going to be dealing for Askarov and then signing Swayman to a 7 or 8 year contract, Askarov wouldn't extend here like he did in SJ. He wanted out of NAS because they had committed long term to Saros.
They just drafted Dean Letourneau. I don't mean to be a jerk but they're not going to turn around and use him in a package to obtain goaltending help.

He is a long-term project who may or may not pan out. The Bruins should and likely will demonstrate the requisite patience to see what they have in this very intriguing young player.

As for Swayman, I am not one for predictions, but he will be signed.

A significant question is whether it will be a long-term deal or one which allows Swayman another crack at a huge payday.

The Bruins clearly believe they have their goaltender of the future (and the present).

But if they sign Swayman to a long-term contract, they will do so knowing he has never played more than 43 games in the regular season. He performed admirably, even brilliantly, in the playoffs. But, he will have to prove himself there, too.

For the record, I think he will be fine in that regard.

If it is a long-term deal with multiple millions and multiple years, don't be surprised if the price tag is a steep one. It's entirely possible that Jeremy could be signed for 9 million X eight years, or even more dough.

However, with the cap continuing to rise each season going forward, a deal like that may eventually prove a bargain, assuming Swayman lives up to his end of it. A contract like the one suggested above may well become the standard, not the exception, for elite (and not so elite) NHL goaltenders in future.

The other route, of course, is a relatively short-term deal that allows the Swayman camp to cash in on another hefty contract at the height of Jeremy's prime playing years.

My preference is for the former approach.

I would rather show Swayman faith in his abilities and leadership with a long-term contract. This would have the added benefit of locking up what we can reasonably assume will be one of the NHL's premiere goaltenders for the bulk of his career.

He's secure, and can concentrate on stopping the puck and becoming the leader and face of the team he is already growing into. The Bruins have their franchise goaltender, and don't have to worry about resigning Swayman for the foreseeable future.

Everyone, in theory, is happy.

Either way, the lad is going to get PAID.

Let's go.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Last edited:
Reactions: JAD

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Dryden, ON

Initially, I thought, "What millennial dope wrote this?"

Then I saw the byline. Stan Fischler may not be for everyone, but he certainly knows the game and its lore.

After all, he's the guy who dubbed the hometown team the Big Bad Bruins,

The millennial dopes are all in the comments section of that article. Makes me so ashamed to be one.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Rangers’ Igor Shesterkin tops list of 2025 NHL free-agent goalies​

For those counting at home, Labor Day will mark 10 months before Igor Shesterkin can become an unrestricted free agent. That’s certainly plenty of time for the New York Rangers to hammer out an expensive long-term contract extension with their star goalie. But it serves as a reminder that there is a deadline on the horizon.

Certainly, Rangers general manager Chris Drury doesn’t need the reminder. Re-upping with Shesterkin is his No. 1 priority, especially now that offseason player moves are completed and the roster is by and large set to start the 2024-25 season.

The best-case scenario here has the two sides working out an agreement before the puck drops opening night in Pittsburgh on Oct. 9. That way, the Rangers have their most important player locked up for years to come, cost certainty for next offseason and can shift focus to contract extensions for upcoming restricted free agents Alexis Lafreniere and K’Andre Miller.

And it’d shut down the potential sideshow of Shesterkin, his teammates and coach Peter Laviolette having to answer questions about whether the contract situation is a distraction to the goalie and team during the season.

This is no easy negotiation. Not when you talk about the kind of money Shesterkin could make on his next deal.

It’s already been reported that Shesterkin seeks to become the highest-paid goalie in NHL history. That’d mean making more than Carey Price at $10.5 million annually. Many see Shesterkin aiming for more than $12 million per season.

Shesterkin’s brilliant postseason track record, which includes leading the Rangers to the Eastern Conference Final two of the past three seasons, was buoyed by his outstanding play this past spring. And his track record the past four regular seasons is just as impressive: ranking second only to Ullmark (.923) among goalies who’ve played at least 100 games with a .920 save percentage, and fourth with 125 wins.

He’s going to get paid.

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad