NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
And McDavid needed to be resigned shortly

Probably means $30m+ for both

Two great players and don't begrudge either a nickel but it sure makes being cap compliant while fielding a competitive team a major challenge

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I assume Edmonton is hoping the cap sky rockets in consecutive years. That's a lot of scratch to commit to 1 guy, soon to be 2.

I do think in a vacuum they are both worth it, but damn that's a ton of money

Reactions: BMC

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
I assume Edmonton is hoping the cap sky rockets in consecutive years. That's a lot of scratch to commit to 1 guy, soon to be 2.

They are not worth it? Lol. And the cap will be 100 million by the time mcdavid signs. Oilers will be just fine for a few years

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

The system penalizes teams like the Oil who have two true superstars. They cannot justify not signing each player, but it is also hard to justify doling out that much scratch for two forwards.

Over time, all deals which seem ridiculous at the time of signing end up seeming normal as salary caps continue to rise. Is suspect the same will be true here. I still remember in MLB when Will Clark and Ricky Henderson got $3m per year, and I thought baseball would bankrupt itself. Not so much.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The system penalizes teams like the Oil who have two true superstars. They cannot justify not signing each player, but it is also hard to justify doling out that much scratch for two forwards.

Over time, all deals which seem ridiculous at the time of signing end up seeming normal as salary caps continue to rise. Is suspect the same will be true here. I still remember in MLB when Will Clark and Ricky Henderson got $3m per year, and I thought baseball would bankrupt itself. Not so much.
That's exactly what I was trying to say, but couldn't find the words to do so. Props.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Dryden, ON

If the cap doesn’t go up much, hopefully either one of McDavid or Draisaitl don’t mind having me as a linemate…I can’t hit, score, pass, accept a pass, deke, or skate, but at least my cap hit will be no more than 50¢.

Reactions: BMC and TD Charlie

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It’s a high number but the expectation had definitely been set. Doesn’t surprise me.

it only makes sense that the team eats some monetary risk for a player of that caliber.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
1725408812527.png

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA