NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Mr. Make-Believe

Of course I am curious, but to his credit AP did not reference specific behavior.
Not often this candid kind of information is actually shared. Imagine being asked your opinion of what would fix the room, answering honestly and then getting shipped off because of it. And hell - Werenski and Merzlikins are still teammates today.

That's an organization with real problems, man.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Not often this candid kind of information is actually shared. Imagine being asked your opinion of what would fix the room, answering honestly and then getting shipped off because of it. And hell - Werenski and Merzlikins are still teammates today.

It appears to be.

What is interesting to me is that ownership has been exceptionally patient and hands off for years.

I am frankly surprised by what I can only call Yarmo's incompetence on several levels, over many years.

The Mike Babcock business is only the most glaring example.

Don Waddell is a safe yet solid choice to to lead yet another rebuild.

When I think of CBJ, I draw a blank. I don't know that they've ever had a consistent, strong vision of who they are from the very beginning.

I like Torts, but that too was an odd cultural fit.

Grasping at straws.

If I am incorrect, please enlighten me.

Last edited:

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
It appears to be.

What is interesting to me is that ownership has been exceptionally patient and hands off for years.

I am frankly surprised by what I can only call Yarmo's incompetence on several levels, over many years.

The Mike Babcock business is only the most glaring example.

Don Waddell is a safe yet solid choice to to lead yet another rebuild.

When I think of CBJ, I draw a blank. I don't know that they've ever had a consistent, strong vision of who they are from the very beginning.

I like Torts, but that too was an odd cultural fit.

Grasping at straws.

If I am incorrect, please enlighten me.
Seems like Yarmo was hoping Torts and Babs would bring some hardnose discipline to a team that needed it. The latter, obviously, never got off the ground. As an aside, Torts & Babs sounds like a bad sitcom.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Dryden, ON
So, if I read that correctly, Laine wanted out because Vincent made him a healthy scratch, and the leaders on the team during that time - including Nick Foligno - wanted him shipped out?

Solid acquisition by Montreal.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Habs have had some real wins in the acquisition dept. Drouin, Anderson, and now Laine.

All 3 were thought to be big pick ups, good chance for all 3 to be big misses as well.

You just hate to see it..../s

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Isn't he the guy who demanded specific ice time and position? If so, damn, I'm glad he is going anywhere else than Boston. I don't care how good he is.

PLD Disease strikes again.

So, if I read that correctly, Laine wanted out because Vincent made him a healthy scratch, and the leaders on the team during that time - including Nick Foligno - wanted him shipped out?

That's the read here.

I wouldn't want this guy on my team, just like the McGrodey guy or however the f*** you say his name.

Laine requested a trade from the peg, don't forget. I have no idea what his mental health issues are, or were, but if he requires a babysitter and to be treated with kid gloves, no thanks.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Imagine how bad it must be if Foligno doesn't like you.

Bet Laine hated candy corn

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

There is nothing to really point to their opinion being the reason they were shipped out. Don't get me wrong, its the road they try and lead you down in the article, but lets really look at the four guys mentioned.

Foligno was a 33yr old pending UFA when he was traded by CBJ. They were heading towards a rebuild and likely didn't see Foligno has being part of their future.

Atkinson was 31yrs old with 3yrs left at just shy of $6 million. The problem was he had played in just 100 games the last two seasons while producing 60 points. Philly needed cap space and CBJ was able to get a better player in Voraceck.

Seth Jones was moved the off-season going into his final year of his deal. He told CBJ that he had no intentions to re-sign with them and was going to leave via FA. Its only logical that he would have been traded as he was a prime asset.

Zach Werenski is still with CBJ and was named an assistant captain the season after Foligno, Jones & Atkinson were all traded. Kind of odd that Foligno, Atkinson & Jones would all be traded for their opinion, but Werenski (who apparently had the same opinion as the other 3) was not traded.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
So it would have taken Lysell likely to get him.

I would have done it - but I would have been iffy about it.

All considered, that's not a bad trade.

I like Lysell better than Yager but I like McGroarty the most of the three. I do think Lysell has the highest upside. Ball seems to be in Lysell's court this offseason, as it looks like he's going to get a chance to win a top 9 spot out of camp.

Mr. Make-Believe

Isn't he the guy who demanded specific ice time and position? If so, damn, I'm glad he is going anywhere else than Boston. I don't care how good he is.

PLD Disease strikes again.
No one with any clout anywhere that said exactly what McGroarty's request was. At least from what I was able to find. I even requested here and saw one guy on a podcast.

Hearsay that was blown way out of proportion. His track record as a teammate and player should hold more weight.

Sure he asked out of Winnipeg. And absolutely COULD be a entitled brat. But I'm skeptical and sure wouldn't treat one third hand report from one guy as Gospel.

Mr. Make-Believe

I like Lysell better than Yager but I like McGroarty the most of the three. I do think Lysell has the highest upside. Ball seems to be in Lysell's court this offseason, as it looks like he's going to get a chance to win a top 9 spot out of camp.
I think he can and I think he will. I just hope it's the right time for him to make the jump.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I think he can and I think he will. I just hope it's the right time for him to make the jump.
Well, if Lysell can actually make the team it will be the first time in several seasons that there will be several teammates with the skill set to step in and give him some added protection ... If nothing else a greater deterrent from other teams taking liberties with our more skilled players.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
No one with any clout anywhere that said exactly what McGroarty's request was. At least from what I was able to find. I even requested here and saw one guy on a podcast.

Hearsay that was blown way out of proportion. His track record as a teammate and player should hold more weight.

Sure he asked out of Winnipeg. And absolutely COULD be a entitled brat. But I'm skeptical and sure wouldn't treat one third hand report from one guy as Gospel.
Let's not confuse the two.

Laine had or has his issues. That's one thing.

The young fellow who was drafted, I guess, or signed with Winnipeg - I read there were demands. That's all.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
This timeline makes little sense. Laine was traded to Columbus in January 2021. So he basically was only a regular Blue Jacket starting in the 21-22 season. So likely the time anybody complained about him, if that happened, was a full 3 years after this says they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad