Devils will win the President's Trophy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Maybe too many variables to make this kind of prediction.

1. Health. There going into the season with a 35 year old starting goaltender and a 34 year old back up. Jack Hughes seems to get banged up every year, Luke and Nemec appear to be banged up right now. Will Dougie take any amount of time to get going after missing a year?

2. Luke and Simon Nemec had fantastic showings for their first season but both of their games were extremely raw. They will need to make significant steps forward in their overall games for the Devils to be league wide leader

3. Time to Gel...there are so many new faces on the team this year. The Defense and goaltending are essentially brand new and a total revamp. They added Noesen, Cotter and Tatar to the forward ranks ...you have to assume with this much change there will be some time needed for the ducks to get in order.

I think this team has the potential to be elite. I don't think it's going to be this year though. They should be significantly better than last year but I don't think they'll be in the Presidents Trophy race.

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
To bad the Devils aren't a perfectly built team like the rangers.
The New York Rangers are a perfectly built team this year
What kind of dunk is this? A Blue Jackets fan started that thread.

And then the Rangers literally won the President's Trophy that season confirming his (at the time wild) take.

“Flamed out” all the way to the conference finals?
Seriously, am I missing something here? They lost in the ECF to the eventual cup winner. It's not like they lost in round 1 or to a weak opponent or something. That's a substantially deep run that shouldn't be thrown to the side flippantly like it was nothing.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Why did you take that one line out of the entire post?

Jiminy Crickett all these NJD fans keep shouting that they're President's Cup faves and Cup contenders whilst they haven't even showed us that they can be a consistent playoff team. Now this guy states that his team's elite but Jersey can't even make it to the sweet sixteen and I call him out on it and then you show up to defend your team's honour. Look, the Devils are nothing special until they've proven otherwise. Capisce?

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Cup favourites right?
Not sure if this is meant to be sarcastic?

I'm a Leafs fan btw. I feel confident calling NJD a top 5 team on paper. Not sure how that's laughable at all.

J. Hughes
Hischier
Meirer
Bratt
Hamilton
Nemec
L. Hughes
Mercer
Pesce
Palat
Dillon
Markstrom

What am I missing? That's a loaded roster if healthy and natural progression is assumed.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Jiminy Crickett all these NJD fans keep shouting that they're President's Cup faves and Cup contenders whilst they haven't even showed us that they can be a consistent playoff team. Now this guy states that his team's elite but Jersey can't even make it to the sweet sixteen and I call him out on it and then you show up to defend your team's honour. Look, the Devils are nothing special until they've proven otherwise. Capisce?
Here it the entire post that you're quoting
Maybe too many variables to make this kind of prediction.

1. Health. There going into the season with a 35 year old starting goaltender and a 34 year old back up. Jack Hughes seems to get banged up every year, Luke and Nemec appear to be banged up right now. Will Dougie take any amount of time to get going after missing a year?

2. Luke and Simon Nemec had fantastic showings for their first season but both of their games were extremely raw. They will need to make significant steps forward in their overall games for the Devils to be league wide leader

3. Time to Gel...there are so many new faces on the team this year. The Defense and goaltending are essentially brand new and a total revamp. They added Noesen, Cotter and Tatar to the forward ranks ...you have to assume with this much change there will be some time needed for the ducks to get in order.

I think this team has the potential to be elite. I don't think it's going to be this year though. They should be significantly better than last year but I don't think they'll be in the Presidents Trophy race.
Feel free to read the entire post again and show me where this is a Devils fan saying they're a Cup favorite or any of the other trash you wrote in your post.

Let them play some games before we start with this shit

This was my contribution to this thread, so I guess that's just a little too positive for you LOL

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My post was literally the opposite of shouting the Devils are "President Cup faves"

And "the guy", me, didn't say they were elite, I said that they had "the potential to be elite"

English your second language?

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

I'm a Leafs fan btw. I feel confident calling NJD a top 5 team on paper. Not sure how that's laughable at all.

J. Hughes
Hischier
Meirer
Bratt
Hamilton
Nemec
L. Hughes
Mercer
Pesce
Palat
Dillon
Markstrom

What am I missing? That's a loaded roster if healthy and natural progression is assumed.
So basically the same as last year minus a productive toffoli? They better hope mercer actually grows and doesn't regress another season and a goalie that has been average to horrible the last two seasons rebounds.

Reactions: viceroy

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So basically the same as last year minus a productive toffoli? They better hope mercer actually grows and doesn't regress another season and a goalie that has been average to horrible the last two seasons rebounds.
They're not really the same team at all. Markstrom and Allen will be the goaltending tandem for a full season, I think that alone is a significant change...But there is a lot more

The Defense is going to get a complete makeover. They didn't have Hamilton all of last year and Dillon and Pesce have been added. Bahl, Marino and Brendan Smith are gone.

They ran two rookie defenders in Luke and Nemec last year. The caliber of talent these two are, it would be silly to not believe that they will improve their games at least somewhat from their rookie season... From the blue line back is really going to be completely different this season....If you get improvement from Luke and Nemec, return Hamilton and add Pesce and Dillon it's 5 of 6 defenders improved upon from last year and Jonas Siegenthaler who was injured twice last year so we may see more from him as well.

Their bottom 6 forward group is going to see a similar but not so dramatic revamp with additions of Cotter, Noesen and Tatar. Their bottom 6 was a problem last year from my point of view. After losing McLeod the bottom 6 was a bit lifeless. Holtz didn't belong in the bottom 6, neither did Mercer they didn't fit the roles in my opinion. Holtz is gone and hopefully
Mercer is back in the top 6 with talented players.

I don't know if any of that equals success but the team definitely will be very different this season...they should be heavier and more difficult to play against....As a NJ Devil fan I really like the off season moves. But I think it will take some time to gell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dialamo and HFpapi

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

J. Hughes
Hischier
Meirer
Bratt
Hamilton
Nemec
L. Hughes
Mercer
Pesce
Palat
Dillon
Markstrom

They could use more grit in the bottom 6. Acquire Blake Coleman from the Flames and he would make them one of the favourites in the east.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I don't think it's a crazy take. Last year everything went wrong. Lots of people were predicting the Devils to have a big year and the fact they missed the playoffs was more surprising than anything.

This year they look primed to have a rebound year. I think Keefe is okay - better than Ruff at this stage of their careers. The defense will be tightened up and with Markstrom between the pipes their goaltending won't lose them games anymore.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I guess if you want to ignore the fact that Hughes, Hamilton, Meier, were injured, L. Hughes and Nemec were rookies, that they added really solid Dmen in Pecse & Dillion, and a true #1 keeper, sure, they are the same team as last year.

Injuries and goaltending were their Achilles heel last year. Hard to imagine them being as unlucky with injuries this season or Markstrom not being an upgrade in net.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs

J. Hughes(and so forth.)

Well something's missing right? They're too fragile? An evident lack of toughness? No team vision? No strong leadership? No steady hand at the till? The wrong veterans? Too injury-prone? Well what is it?

Yeah sure they had some injuries but if their roster's so elite and President's Cup worthy shouldn't they at least have managed to be a bubble team?

This was my contribution to this thread, so I guess that's just a little too positive for you LOL

Be honest with yourself man. Last year's results proved that Jersey doesn't have the horses to be a contender. It weren't just the goaltending amigo.

And "the guy", me, didn't say they were elite, I said that they had "the potential to be elite"

English your second language?

Classy. A nice shot at the Habs' fandom for being Francos in large part. Why didn't you just call me a frog while you're at it?

BTW English is my 3rd language but on the flip side I was an English Lit major in college.

It's entertaining to see @viceroy ignore posts and create a boogeyman to make his own weird narrative.

Probably watched to much American news.:help:

American news? The F you on about bro? There's no narrative to construct. The Devils' fandom seemed to be tickled pink about their team despite the fact they crapped the bed last year. I mean the Habs suck too but we're in the middle of a rebuild.

seems like a great coach with the best roster he's ever had.

I mean I often mock the Leafs but rare are the teams that have the insane firepower of TML. Matthews is a generational goal scorer and the rest of the gang are no slouches. Sure they may be underwhelming in the playoffs but there's absolutely no doubt that they can get to the post-season with their eyes closed. The Devils? not so much.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Well something's missing right? They're too fragile? An evident lack of toughness? No team vision? No strong leadership? No steady hand at the till? The wrong veterans? Too injury-prone? Well what is it?

Yeah sure they had some injuries but if their roster's so elite and President's Cup worthy shouldn't they at least have managed to be a bubble team?

Be honest with yourself man. Last year's results proved that Jersey doesn't have the horses to be a contender. It weren't just the goaltending amigo.

Classy. A nice shot at the Habs' fandom for being Francos in large part. Why didn't you just call me a frog while you're at it?

BTW English is my 3rd language but on the flip side I was an English Lit major in college.

American news? The F you on about bro? There's no narrative to construct. The Devils' fandom seemed to be tickled pink about their team despite the fact they crapped the bed last year. I mean the Habs suck too but we're in the middle of a rebuild.

I mean I often mock the Leafs but rare are the teams that have the insane firepower of TML. Matthews is a generational goal scorer and the rest of the gang are no slouches. Sure they may be underwhelming in the playoffs but there's absolutely no doubt that they can get to the post-season with their eyes closed. The Devils? not so much.
which person on the Devils roster made you feel this way? what did they do to you?
family-guy-peter-griffin.gif

• Haha
Reactions: MartyOwns

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
which person on the Devils roster made you feel this way? what did they do to you?

Once again, the F you on about? I hear ya, you're delighted how things are shaping up for your Devils. Good on ya, I just think maybe you should, as we say in Quebec "Peut-être te garder une p'tite gêne."

To be honest I practically never think of the NJD but there's a bunch of y'all that keep popping up on the Main Boards talking trash and waxing poetic on how this year Jersey will be kicking bottom. Okie dokie.

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad