Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
The positive thing about Mailloux, is that he seems to be improving every day at this training camp. Looked completely out of place in the first days, now looks much more poised than he did at the start.
Spending some time (perhaps till Christmas) in Laval will be very helpful. I think he will be back before the end of the year. I really like the package and what he can bring. Between him, Ghule, Matheson we definitly have something to build arround.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Based on what we've seen from camp so far, I would be comfortable going with these lines to start the season:

Caufield - Suzuki - Monahan
RHP - Dach - Slaf
Gallagher - Newhook - Anderson
Pearson - Evans - Ylonen
I see it your way, but I’d love to try Newhook on the wing. I’m very curious to have a look at that forecheck.

When D-Vo comes back it will need to happen, unless injuries of course.

Reactions: SlafySZN

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
This team has a lot of depth as a result of all these trades of HuGo that made something out of nothing. Including Monahan and a first for nothing. Depth equates with some immunity to injuries. Maybe not to star players like Caufield, but to rank-and-file players, certainly. I don't see it as a tanking team, depending of course on how the goalies perform.

Reactions: Andrei79

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Based on what we've seen from camp so far, I would be comfortable going with these lines to start the season:

Caufield - Suzuki - Monahan
RHP - Dach - Slaf
Gallagher - Newhook - Anderson
Pearson - Evans - Ylonen
I would be fine with that but I would switch Gally with Pearson. Gally is done. I would actually be also curious to try Davidson with Newhook and Anderson

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Both Pezz & Armia in the pressbox or are you waiving one?
It's between Lindstrom, Pez, and Armia in terms of who gets waived, imo.

Can't keep all threee, and they are bottom of the depth chart, imo. Unless there is an injury before the season starts.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Primeau was once a blue chip prospect. I would give him lots of ice time before not protecting him. Allen won't be claimed, he has bad contract. Common for goalies to take a few years to mature.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Primeau was once a blue chip prospect. I would give him lots of ice time before not protecting him. Allen won't be claimed, he has bad contract. Common for goalies to take a few years to mature.
I would not be surprised if they waive Allen. It is similar to what Bergevin did for the SEA expansion : I dare you to take Price s contract. ;)

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Primeau doesn't have the mental fortitude to play here, he's been regressing because of it the last 3 seasons. He might make it, but it won't be with the Habs.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Here's my guess on our 23 man roster:

13 Forwards:
Caufield, Suzuki, Monahan
Ylonen, Dach, Slafkovsky
Gallagher, Newhook, Anderson
Pearson, Evans, Armia
Pezzetta

8 Dmen:
Matheson, Savard
Guhle, Kovacevic
Harris, Xhekaj
Lidstrom, Barron

2 Goalies:
Allen, Montembeault

IR:
Price, Wideman, Dvorak

AHL:
RHP, L.Anderson*, Farrell, Stephens*, Mesar, Heineman, Roy, Simoneau, Kidney, Condotta*
Struble, Beaudin*, Norlinder, Mailloux, Trudeau, Keeper*
Primeau*, Dobes

Minors/Europe
Beck, Reinbacher

Biggest question mark is RHP - he deserves a spot in the NHL but I'm not sure if they're willing to demote someone else and expose them to waivers

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Here's my guess on our 23 man roster:

13 Forwards:
Caufield, Suzuki, Monahan
Ylonen, Dach, Slafkovsky
Gallagher, Newhook, Anderson
Pearson, Evans, Armia
Pezzetta

8 Dmen:
Matheson, Savard
Guhle, Kovacevic
Harris, Xhekaj
Lidstrom, Barron

2 Goalies:
Allen, Montembeault

IR:
Price, Wideman, Dvorak

AHL:
RHP, L.Anderson*, Farrell, Stephens*, Mesar, Heineman, Roy, Simoneau, Kidney, Condotta*
Struble, Beaudin*, Norlinder, Mailloux, Trudeau, Keeper*
Primeau*, Dobes

Minors/Europe
Beck, Reinbacher

Biggest question mark is RHP - he deserves a spot in the NHL but I'm not sure if they're willing to demote someone else and expose them to waivers
No chance that RHP is in the AHL, he's a better player overall then Armia, Gallagher Ylonen and Pezzetta.

Ylonen and Pezzetta are going to be send down before HP, no doubt in my mind.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Caufield-Suzuki-Monahan
Slafkovsky-Dach-Gallagher
Pearson-Newhook-Anderson
RHP-Evans-Armia

Pezz or Ylonen

Matheson-Savard
Guhle-Barron
Harris-Kovacevic
Xhekaj-Lindstrom

Allen
Montembeault

Bolded players seem to be the one on the bubble for now. I'm not a big fan of Gallagher playing with Dach but i'm not sure where to fit him in the lineup.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So far, the players who have yet to play a preseason game:

F: Gallagher, Evans, Armia, Kidney, Maillet, Mysak, Pearson and some AHL contracted guys like Ortiz, Yaremko, Novak & McKay and invites Smilanic & Dufort.

D: Matheson, Beaudin, Struble and some AHL contracted guys like Galipeau, Bisson, Tourigny, Ortiz, Laaouan & Parker-Jones and invite Demin.

G: AHL contracted guys Mann & Émond and invite Vrbetic.

Reactions: SlafySZN

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
RHP is going to start in the top 9. He's above Ylonen, Pezzetta, Evans, Armia, Gallagher on the depth chart now. Maybe even Pearson, but I haven't seen him play so I can't compare.

Reactions: Gustave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad