Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

I know its an intersquad game but nothing in Armia's body of work over the last 2 seasons gives me any hope he'll be better this season. Hard to think that contract runs till the end of next season.
The international games? He plays well for his country, badly for the habs.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Andersson has proven that he should not have been picked as high as he was and that he should not have been rushed to the NHL. The habs have to find out what he is capable of, and early reports are that he is making a better effort than in some previous camps.
Rangers picked him much higher than he was ranked

Reactions: Tyson

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Mesar and Heineman set up Armia multiple times. Guy is so frustrating

The proceeds of this scrimmage go to charity and tickets were $15 with a free pop corn how can you call this a cash grab?
Armia is thinking if Mesar and Heineman put points, one of them may take his spot when the season starts so he tries to abort their plays to save his ass ...

exam-01.jpg

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
It is obvious that Montreal fans were angry with Joel Armia for this inexplicable action. In fact, according to Marc Denis, who was next to number 77 when he returned to the bench, even Armia's teammates were unhappy with his behavior, Dach being the first.

“Dach took a while to get up, but Marc Denis said he seemed more upset than hurt, fortunately. » -Matt Drake

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
From last night's game:

Anderson played well (NHL)

Newhook had trouble with the draws, but made some nice plays (NHL)

Slafkovsky had some nice dangle passes. Had a tough first period. I'd like to see him get some AHL games at some point, because I feel like there's a lot of skill ready to bust out. Still, was one of the best Habs forwards in this split squad game. (NHL/AHL)

Roy - he's so good! Wow! Gonna be hard to send him down! (NHL/AHL)

Beck - really like his game. Great on draws. So much jam. Another super tough decision. Ultimately think he heads back to junior? So hard to know. (OHL/NHL?)

Ylonen - I'm a big keep Ylonen guy, but I was pretty unimpressed by him. He's very vanilla. His shot is nice though. Still has great skating. Got better as the game continued. Can certainly play in the press box at this point. (NHL/AHL?)

Farrell - I really like his game. Showed the best on his line. Ultimately I think he'll start in the AHL because of the numbers game. (AHL)

Stephens - generally I wasn't all that impressed. (AHL)

Pezzetta - he didn't really do anything. Does he lose his spot? First time I started really considering this as a possibility. (NHL/AHL?)

Simoneau - nice pass to Roy on that first goal. Rest of the game he was generally not up to the level of the competition. I do believe he'll improve with more time. He's not ready. (AHL)

Condotta - my fav player on this line. Nice size. Skating seems maybe better? Was decently quick to get on loose picks. Is he waiver exempt? I like this guy. Is he such a dropoff from Pezzetta? I don't know. I think there might be something here moving forward. (AHL)

Légaré - I actually liked him. Hope he has a good year in Laval. (AHL)

Guhle - didn't seem to play very well. He's a guy I could see having a harder sophomore season. (NHL)

Reinbacher - he looked really good, but not ready. (NLA)

Harris - looked like the best dman for the Habs. Nice skating and processing. (NHL)

Mailloux - like his tools, but he's not ready. He probably benefitted from playing with Harris. (AHL)

Xhekaj - looked pretty uneven. Had some ok plays but also some pretty poor ones. I do think he could benefit a lot from playing in the AHL because the stuff he most needs to work on they teach down there. (NHL/AHL)

Barron - he's so vanilla. I don't know. He'll be competing with Kovacevic and Lindstrom and maybe one of the LHD to play the right side. He needs more gristle. Given the numbers game maybe he starts in the AHL again? I mean, no point keeping him up to play the press box, I don't think. (AHL?/NHL?)

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
From last night's game:

Slafkovsky had some nice dangle passes. Had a tough first period. I'd like to see him get some AHL games at some point, because I feel like there's a lot of skill ready to bust out. Still, was one of the best Habs forwards in this split squad game. (NHL/AHL)

Beck - really like his game. Great on draws. So much jam. Another super tough decision. Ultimately think he heads back to junior? So hard to know. (OHL/NHL?)

Ylonen - I'm a big keep Ylonen guy, but I was pretty unimpressed by him. He's very vanilla. His shot is nice though. Still has great skating. Got better as the game continued. Can certainly play in the press box at this point. (NHL/AHL?)

Farrell - I really like his game. Showed the best on his line. Ultimately I think he'll start in the AHL because of the numbers game. (AHL)

Pezzetta - he didn't really do anything. Does he lose his spot? First time I started really considering this as a possibility. (NHL/AHL?)

Simoneau - nice pass to Roy on that first goal. Rest of the game he was generally not up to the level of the competition. I do believe he'll improve with more time. He's not ready. (AHL)

Condotta - my fav player on this line. Nice size. Skating seems maybe better? Was decently quick to get on loose picks. Is he waiver exempt? I like this guy. Is he such a dropoff from Pezzetta? I don't know. I think there might be something here moving forward. (AHL)

Guhle - didn't seem to play very well. He's a guy I could see having a harder sophomore season. (NHL)

Harris - looked like the best dman for the Habs. Nice skating and processing. (NHL)

Mailloux - like his tools, but he's not ready. He probably benefitted from playing with Harris. (AHL)

Xhekaj - looked pretty uneven. Had some ok plays but also some pretty poor ones. I do think he could benefit a lot from playing in the AHL because the stuff he most needs to work on they teach down there. (NHL/AHL)

Barron - he's so vanilla. I don't know. He'll be competing with Kovacevic and Lindstrom and maybe one of the LHD to play the right side. He needs more gristle. Given the numbers game maybe he starts in the AHL again? I mean, no point keeping him up to play the press box, I don't think. (AHL?/NHL?)
Barron is 6'2" and 195 lbs, but he plays a physical game like he's 5'5" and 112 lbs. I don't see that ever changing.

Reactions: Guess and jrom

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Barron is 6'2" and 195 lbs, but he plays a physical game like he's 5'5" and 112 lbs. I don't see that ever changing.

I really don't get the heat Barron is getting. I agree he has been vanilla in the past, but if anyhting he's showing us a lot more decisiveness in this camp. His ability to move the puck up the ice has gotten even better than last season. He looks faster and more explosive.

Defensively he's been sound. He hasn't really had any bad give aways or bad moments in the defensive end like Xhekaj or Mailloux.

He's never going to be a physical presence on the ice, but he's been boxing out on the rush and engaging in the corners so far. Mailloux has way more flash and upside, so he's more noticable in that light, but Barron has been the more efficient two-way RD so far in this camp out of all of them.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With young players, it's hard for me to make absolute projections.

I remember Andrei Kostitsyn when he first came into the league was timid. By his prime he was an absolute beast on the forecheck. We also saw Petry develop quite a physical edge to his game in his 30s.

Reactions: WinterLion

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
From last night's game:

I like Pezzetta but I'm thinking he's the kind of guy you have on the 4th when you aren't worried about winning. When they start to compete, they need someone much better. Condotta - always liked him and I think I'd rather see him get a shot on the 4th.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Guhle seems to be the same weight as last year. The kid needs to bulk big time if he wants to avoid injuries and play his physical style. Kind of pissed to see him with no difference from last year.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
It is obvious that Montreal fans were angry with Joel Armia for this inexplicable action. In fact, according to Marc Denis, who was next to number 77 when he returned to the bench, even Armia's teammates were unhappy with his behavior, Dach being the first.

“Dach took a while to get up, but Marc Denis said he seemed more upset than hurt, fortunately. » -Matt Drake
JFC, what an useless bum.
Dump his sorry ass ASAP :facepalm:

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City

Am I missing something? What happened?

Reactions: rickthegoon

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
So no cuts until tomorrow? Get on with it.
It really doesn't make a difference, they returned most of the CHL players already. Reinbacher and a couple of remaining CHL players if cut have where to go, the rest don't. They'll train as a group till Laval camp starts Monday. More than likely after the game tomorrow they won't see any more game action till then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad