Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Optically I didn't want them on a line together obviously because of their size
But they've been half decent together, commentators mentioned how tough they are to play against, MSL apparently agreed

But with a 3C like Beck it unlocks a lot for them, but he won't be there this year so we'll have to see what they do For that duo
On a 4th line, those two are great energy wingers token the puck int he O-zone as long as possible and wear out opponents, but that doesn't seem to maximize the actual skill set for either player.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Devils are playing two games tomorrow with a Team A and Team B against the Flyers and Habs.

I'm guessing the Devils will play the Better squad at the home game against the Flyers so I'm going to say that the Habs are going to face Team A but they did a good job at equally splitting them.

Team A just doesn't have the Defense that team B has.

And no that isn't Martin Brodeur coming from the grave to dunk on the Habs, Its his son Anthony.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
His skating does look better. I don't think there is any doubt about it. I wonder if he worked along side RHP who admitted he was working on power skating over the summer? They were involved in that Sisu 3 on 3 together so who knows.
I only saw Suzuki once so far and he seemed to generate a lot of speed with minimum effort. Deceptively very fast from what I saw. It seems like he’s really turned that into a strength. Ice in his veins. Wouldn’t surprise me if he starts to assert himself as one of the better captains in the league. He learned from the best

Reactions: ReHabs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Davidson.........has had one heck of a start to camp!!
Hope he gets some chances against other NHL squads in preseason.
Can we have a kid like this just jump into the lineup?? Laval more than likely, but stay tuned guys.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's the youngest training camp I've seen in my entire life. We really start to see the upside of the prospects right now. What will we do with all those dmen prospects?
Try to convert them to forwards. If it doesn’t work out, then trade em. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Maitz

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
They have an out-of-town team retreat planned before their last pre-season game, guessing the roster will be finalized before that.
I kinea love the spirit of this team. Suzuki is doing things the right way. These little decisions ensure the locker-room doesn’t fall into disrepair and alienation.

@dackelljuneaubulis02 said Suzuki has ice in his veins. I think he really does. Incredibly heady player and we are lucky to have him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Davidson.........has had one heck of a start to camp!!
Hope he gets some chances against other NHL squads in preseason.
Can we have a kid like this just jump into the lineup?? Laval more than likely, but stay tuned guys.
Big week ahead with 4 games.

Then we should have massive cut then last week of training camp with pretty much a complete NHL roster and then season begins.

Intrateam scrimmage was nice and all but now we are going another step. We will see who thrive.

It still hard for me to see any more than 1 forward (like Roy or Heineman) and just maybe one of Mailloux, Reinbacher, Trudeau, or Struble stealing a spot.

Right now we already have 24 NHLers plus Wideman and Dvo injured. So we already have to cut one NHLer.

But maybe injuries open up other spots.

Cc - Suzuki - Dach
RHP - Newhook - Anderson
Slaf - Monahan - Pearson
Gallagher - Evan's- Ylonen
Pez, Armia

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Harris
Kovacevic, Lindstrom

Montembault
Allen

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
It still hard for me to see any more than 1 forward (like Roy or Heineman) and just maybe one of Mailloux, Reinbacher, Trudeau, or Struble stealing a spot.

Right now we already have 24 NHLers plus Wideman and Dvo injured. So we already have to cut one NHLer.

Cc - Suzuki - Dach
RHP - Newhook - Anderson
Slaf - Monahan - Pearson
Pez, Armia

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Harris
Kovacevic, Lindstrom

Montembault
Allen
Well, IMO Slaf is not a guarantee to have a spot so far, and I wouldn't be surprised if they give a shot to Trudeau instead of Lindstrom. Pearson is another one who could fall.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well, IMO Slaf is not a guarantee to have a spot so far, and I wouldn't be surprised if they give a shot to Trudeau instead of Lindstrom. Pearson is another one who could fall.
I could see Slaf being sent down. But I still consider it unlikely after last year.

Lindstrom could get sent down. But there would still have to be one more D or Forward sent down for Trudeau to get a spot on the 23 man roster. And even then, would we want him as 7th or 8th D in the NHL or getting top pairing minutes in Laval?

I think Pearson is not only on the 23 man roster, but almost certainly in the top 12 and I have him ahead of Gallagher and Armia for a top 9 spot.

Edit: But I'd be ecstatic if Roy won a spot. We need a little more offense in the top 9.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Slaf has a spot.

When MSL says he is not likely to go to the AHL it’s because he won’t!
Yeah, well he may change his mind if things go bad (I honestly hope not). The thing is, if there were no names or numbers on the back of the shirts in the 3 days of scrimmage, I would have dismissed this player as much as Parker Jones based solely on performance.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Yeah, well he may change his mind if things go bad (I honestly hope not). The thing is, if there were no names or numbers on the back of the shirts in the 3 days of scrimmage, I would have dismissed this player as much as Parker Jones based solely on performance.
He had a great 3rd game scrimmage. He improved through the 3 games. His first match play situation since around january.

The pre-season games are more important in his case, we’ll see how he does.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
nothing ruins an origninal 6 jersey like a corporate sponsor, so gross.
100%

I think the only way to save the jerseys is to have the original 6 refuse to rent advertising space. That would set a standard? However, the greed is real! Look at European leagues 8-10-12 advertising banners on each jersey, it’s like free money to the owners. The Yankees or the Cowboys will never do it.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
The physical players who were holding back during the scrimmages should be able to play to their strengths during these pre-season games.

I hope Davidson will get a few games as he loves to get his nose dirty.
I know he’s probably not playing since he has yesterday, but i hope Dach is alright i kinda thought he was holding back but his skating looked sluggish near the end of the game yesterday.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

Cc - Suzuki - Dach
RHP - Newhook - Anderson
Slaf - Monahan - Pearson
Pez, Armia

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Harris
Kovacevic, Lindstrom

Montembault
Allen
I don't think Evans or Armia are all that safe if their play does not merit a roster spot. Slaf and RHP as well because of waiver exemptions. Gallagher as well, although he's a Hab legend and has an A so he'd have to be soundly defeated in a roster battle.

On D, guys like Xhekaj & Barron (and even possibly Harris) are all waiver exempt and so can be demoted easily, especially if they are bubble guys.

Maybe Hughes moves a vet after the roster squeeze once Price's LTIR frees up some space. In any case, most of the younger guys will see NHL action this year once the injuries begin to pile up. I just hope the Habs don't send Ylonen down...

Reactions: 26Mats

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I know he’s probably not playing since he has yesterday, but i hope Dach is alright i kinda thought he was holding back but his skating looked sluggish near the end of the game yesterday.

I thought he looked ok...Maybe not going all out because it was scrimmage.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

Cc - Suzuki - Dach
RHP - Newhook - Anderson
Slaf - Monahan - Pearson
Pez, Armia

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Harris
Kovacevic, Lindstrom

Montembault
Allen
Unless they put a vet on waives (Gallagher, Armia, Pearson) effectively doubt we see Heineman or Roy start NHL.

Will be intesting to see who's cut on defense. I believe they could keep Barron and waive Lindstrom. Would be a major blow imo to sent down Barron.

I would think Pezzetta, Ylonen, Lindstrom, Barron and Harris spot are all but guaranteed.

It will be interesting. I would find it sting to lose Lias Andersson and Jesse Ylonen to waivers but on the other hand, it would be surprising that they waive a vet over them. We should also overcome their loss fairly easily if it had to happen.

Reactions: MadMslm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad