Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Has there been any word on whether or not the pre-season game tomorrow will be televised?

Trying to see if I’m going to be doing a side by side feed with the Devils split season games or if I have to just stick to the home one.
it's definitely televised in Québec on RDS but won't be on sportsnet or TSN

Reactions: jrom

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So many good young players in system makes it kind of exciting. For you know what next few years hold. This team reminds me of Tampa in 2014. We swept them in playoffs but you could tell they were coming on.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
He could replace Evans anytime !

And he is wearing the sacred #76 of PK Subban !!!!
Not the same type of player nor the same type of skill set. Evans is a fluid skater while Davidson plays a heavy, physical game. I caught the first period of the Ottawa/ Toronto exhibition game. To beat either of these teams we will need every inch of our speed. I suspect that once we start playing ‘real’ NHL opposition many of the young players that so many here are enthused about will be exposed. Those worried that we are somehow spoiling our ‘tank’ have little to worry about. Watch any ‘real’ NHL game and see what type of speed and skill we will have to contend with. Some nights it won’t be pretty.

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Not the same type of player nor the same type skill set. Evans is a fluid skater while Davidson plays a heavy, physical game. I caught the first period of the Ottawa/ Toronto exhibition game. To beat either of these teams we will need every inch of our speed. I suspect that once we start playing ‘real’ NHL opposition many of the young players that so many here are enthused about will be exposed. Those worried that we are somehow spoiling our ‘tank’ have little to worry about. Watch any ‘real’ NHL game and see what type of speed and skill we will have to contend with. Some nights it won’t be pretty.
Agree.

On the specific case of Davidson, he is making himself heard, sure. But to have him replace Evans or any other NHLer at this point is a stretch.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Has there been any word on whether or not the pre-season game tomorrow will be televised?

Trying to see if I’m going to be doing a side by side feed with the Devils split season games or if I have to just stick to the home one.

It will be on TV for sure, if you're in the US and don't have RDS just gotta be resourceful.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
At the very least we have guys with real skill and upside. They have question marks but there is WAY more skill on the roster and in the system than I’ve seen in…forever.

I thought that’s what people wanted lol. Yet somehow you’d think it’s more dire than ever.

I didn’t see today’s game but Mesar has done nothing but impress. It’s not like anyone’s guaranteeing nhl success. He just has REAL upside. Farrell showed it. Kidney showed it. Roy showed it. Wanting more from Slaf is reasonable but people acting like he didn’t show plenty of skill and positives, I just don’t know what to say.

Newhook looked fantastic. You can’t have that much speed and skill and not have high end upside. I was being a bit cheeky with him being a superstar the other day. But honestly he had the raw upside of one of the more skilled forwards I’ve seen come through here. Maybe he can’t put it together. Who knows. But you’re not gonna tell me there isn’t exciting upside there.

I’m happy to see real upside for a change. It’s encouraging to me. By all means wait till you see results. I like to project guys early as much as possible. It’s what’s fun about this site. If i’m wrong I’m wrong.

It seems this management is far more mindful of development than the last one and the early returns seem to show that. That coupled with the upside is good to see

Jul 6, 2016
At the very least we have guys with real skill and upside. They have question marks but there is WAY more skill on the roster and in the system than I’ve seen in…forever.

I thought that’s what people wanted lol. Yet somehow you’d think it’s more dire than ever.

I didn’t see today’s game but Mesar has done nothing but impress. It’s not like anyone’s guaranteeing nhl success. He just has REAL upside. Farrell showed it. Kidney showed it. Roy showed it. Wanting more from Slaf is reasonable but people acting like he didn’t show plenty of skill and positives, I just don’t know what to say.

Newhook looked fantastic. You can’t have that much speed and skill and not have high end upside. I was being a bit cheeky with him being a superstar the other day. But honestly he had the raw upside of one of the more skilled forwards I’ve seen come through here. Maybe he can’t put it together. Who knows. But you’re not gonna tell me there isn’t exciting upside there.

I’m happy to see real upside for a change. It’s encouraging to me. By all means wait till you see results. I like to project guys early as much as possible. It’s what’s fun about this site. If i’m wrong I’m wrong.

It seems this management is far more mindful of development than the last one and the early returns seem to show that. That coupled with the upside is good to see
Who drafted Roy, Kidney, Guhle, Harris, Caufield, Farrell, Mailloux..... ?

Reactions: HankyZetts

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Who drafted Roy, Kidney, Guhle, Harris, Caufield, Farrell, Mailloux..... ?

The same one that drafted Kotkaniemi, Juulsen, McCarron, Galchenyuk which is actually also the same one that drafted Pacioretty, Subban and Gallagher......It's Timmins.

Maybe, just maybe the drafting wasn't the problem but development could be the problem and that starts with the coaches. Remember what was happening with Caufield before MSL arrived.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Yes.

Again on the specific case of Davidson, he is someone who plays with an edge so i wonder if he continue to impress here.
Only if he can keep up with pace of the game. Playing and impressing in rookie tournaments and inter-squad games is one thing. Playing against Matthews, Marner, Stutzle, Hughes, Pasternak, Barzel, etc. is a whole different kettle of fish.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Not the same type of player nor the same type of skill set. Evans is a fluid skater while Davidson plays a heavy, physical game. I caught the first period of the Ottawa/ Toronto exhibition game. To beat either of these teams we will need every inch of our speed. I suspect that once we start playing ‘real’ NHL opposition many of the young players that so many here are enthused about will be exposed. Those worried that we are somehow spoiling our ‘tank’ have little to worry about. Watch any ‘real’ NHL game and see what type of speed and skill we will have to contend with. Some nights it won’t be pretty.
Wow, shows I don't know much about Davidson. I only watched a couple of his games but I didn't see the physicality. More picking spots and shooting accurately...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
But his skating and overall mobility looks much better. Or is it just the level of competition?
His skating does look better. I don't think there is any doubt about it. I wonder if he worked along side RHP who admitted he was working on power skating over the summer? They were involved in that Sisu 3 on 3 together so who knows.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Agree.

On the specific case of Davidson, he is making himself heard, sure. But to have him replace Evans or any other NHLer at this point is a stretch.
He won't but he will have a good chance of making Laval when he was supposedly ticketed for T.R.
He's got that solid body type that holds up well to wear and tear. He could become valuable down the road as a guy who can play a heavy cycle game.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Game that will define the season, no doubt.

I would settle for no experience... Where do I claim my 20 yo virgin?
1695611281659.png

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So... read that The Great Chris Wideman will be starting season on LTIR. Is this old news that just sipped under my rock?

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
He won't but he will have a good chance of making Laval when he was supposedly ticketed for T.R.
He's got that solid body type that holds up well to wear and tear. He could become valuable down the road as a guy who can play a heavy cycle game.
This is a realistic assessment. Some kids have a development spurt at 16 and then plateau. Others experience their major development in their late teens or even early twenties. It is an inexact science that drives many player development managers mad. Davidson is clearly a late bloomer. He’ll never be a star. But his strength on his skates, compete level and anticipation may well allow him to carve out a NHL career. There is an aura of confidence that surrounds him and his manner and style of play that makes me believe he will be a player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala and MadMslm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad