Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Unless they put a vet on waives (Gallagher, Armia, Pearson) effectively doubt we see Heineman or Roy start NHL.

Will be intesting to see who's cut on defense. I believe they could keep Barron and waive Lindstrom. Would be a major blow imo to sent down Barron.

I would think Pezzetta, Ylonen, Lindstrom, Barron and Harris spot are all but guaranteed.

It will be interesting. I would find it sting to lose Lias Andersson and Jesse Ylonen to waivers but on the other hand, it would be surprising that they waive a vet over them. We should also overcome their loss fairly easily if it had to happen.
Andersson could really help the rocket. He hasn’t panned out has a top 10 pick but he’s great in the AHL, would be a great player who has skills to play with the younger guys. Plus he signed here because someone told him Laval was great.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Andersson could really help the rocket. He hasn’t panned out has a top 10 pick but he’s great in the AHL, would be a great player who has skills to play with the younger guys. Plus he signed here because someone told him Laval was great.
Agree. Could also be a valuable 4th liner.

Reactions: SlafySZN

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Unless they put a vet on waives (Gallagher, Armia, Pearson) effectively doubt we see Heineman or Roy start NHL.

Will be intesting to see who's cut on defense. I believe they could keep Barron and waive Lindstrom. Would be a major blow imo to sent down Barron.

I would think Pezzetta, Ylonen, Lindstrom, Barron and Harris spot are all but guaranteed.

It will be interesting. I would find it sting to lose Lias Andersson and Jesse Ylonen to waivers but on the other hand, it would be surprising that they waive a vet over them. We should also overcome their loss fairly easily if it had to happen.
Despite first appearances this is a very interesting training camp because of the many players battling for spots.

We might not have a good team but we do have a lot of young players who are hungry to establish themselves. Unless the team exclusively favours crusty vets over youngsters, I feel like this jockeying is surely a good thing.

I think Barron goes down to play big minutes. Lindstrom stays up in the Wideman role as the spare.

Armia is who I feel should be waived but apparently he performs excellent in practice and does everything the coaches ask him — it’s hard to derail a player’s career without cause. I’d be surprised to see Armia waived. But with Pearson also in tow, how do the Habs manage? Exciting times.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Despite first appearances this is a very interesting training camp because of the many players battling for spots.

We might not have a good team but we do have a lot of young players who are hungry to establish themselves. Unless the team exclusively favours crusty vets over youngsters, I feel like this jockeying is surely a good thing.

I think Barron goes down to play big minutes. Lindstrom stays up in the Wideman role as the spare.

Armia is who I feel should be waived but apparently he performs excellent in practice and does everything the coaches ask him — it’s hard to derail a player’s career without cause. I’d be surprised to see Armia waived. But with Pearson also in tow, how do the Habs manage? Exciting times.
We might not have a good team but we should be way better than last year and we should have a fun, young team to cheer for.

The thing we forgot as fans when it comes to vet like Armia and Pearson is that they are easy player to have. They understand and accept their role. They can play 4th line, PK, they can move up the line-up and they won't require coaching or care. They require no miantenance. Young player on the other hand requires a lot of maintenance and care both on and off the ice and its simply normal, they have to get experience and assimilate a lot of things. Therefore, it is very useful for a coach to have these crusty vets. But for a fan, it sucks.

Maybe they want to make place for a young and get rid of one of Armia or Pearson but for a business point of view, it would be better to trade them instead of waiving them and sending them to the AHL even if its faster. I think the organisation aim to maintain a top reputation around the league. They threat the player well since HuGo are in town and they should absolutely do this. It will give them power to bring established talent here.

It is indeed a very interesting training camp but it will especially be a very interesting week. 4 out of 6 games are played this week and we will have a lot of answer since the two last game will probably bring us closer to the full line-up. HAGW ReHabs!

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I know it's in French but the evaluation of Martineau is really solid and on point.

I agree with everything he said in there!
Man I can't believe that Trudeau look pretty much NHL ready at only 21 years old! I can't wait to see him play next pre-season game to see how he handle NHL players, I'm pretty sure he will look good :)

I like this dude's work. Gives me hope for sports journalism.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
100%

I think the only way to save the jerseys is to have the original 6 refuse to rent advertising space. That would set a standard? However, the greed is real! Look at European leagues 8-10-12 advertising banners on each jersey, it’s like free money to the owners. The Yankees or the Cowboys will never do it.
Many said the same about the Habs. There's what, 6 teams in the MLB doing this so far? Circle back once the majority are doing it. The Cowboys also have ads on their practice jerseys so don't be so quick to say they will never do the regular ones.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I don't think Evans or Armia are all that safe if their play does not merit a roster spot. Slaf and RHP as well because of waiver exemptions. Gallagher as well, although he's a Hab legend and has an A so he'd have to be soundly defeated in a roster battle.

On D, guys like Xhekaj & Barron (and even possibly Harris) are all waiver exempt and so can be demoted easily, especially if they are bubble guys.

Maybe Hughes moves a vet after the roster squeeze once Price's LTIR frees up some space. In any case, most of the younger guys will see NHL action this year once the injuries begin to pile up. I just hope the Habs don't send Ylonen down...

I like Ylonen and don't want to lose him to waivers.

At this point I've accepted that we probably will lose him, and it won't be the end of the world.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Many said the same about the Habs. There's what, 6 teams in the MLB doing this so far? Circle back once the majority are doing it. The Cowboys also have ads on their practice jerseys so don't be so quick to say they will never do the regular ones.
perhaps you’re right. maybe I’m just a troglodyte but I’d prefer no advertising on (Habs) jerseys & limited ads around the the ice.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Andersson has proven that he should not have been picked as high as he was and that he should not have been rushed to the NHL. The habs have to find out what he is capable of, and early reports are that he is making a better effort than in some previous camps.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I know it's in French but the evaluation of Martineau is really solid and on point.

I agree with everything he said in there!
Man I can't believe that Trudeau look pretty much NHL ready at only 21 years old! I can't wait to see him play next pre-season game to see how he handle NHL players, I'm pretty sure he will look good :)
Martineau is quickly becoming one of the very good Montreal journalists.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

What's Martineau saying in the video itself?

MSL loves Joshua Roy, not only because of his offensive qualities, but also because of his overall game and attention to detail. Says he looks like an NHL player.

MSL talked to Reinbacher to calm him down and tell him to just be himself.

Simoneau told him that he is aware there are a lot of guys on the boat at the moment but not to forget about him, that he is there in his canoe plugging away and will pass the boat. He will make the NHL with the Habs. Said RHP is his role model.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I like Ylonen and don't want to lose him to waivers.

At this point I've accepted that we probably will lose him, and it won't be the end of the world.
They will have to expose someone. It will probably come down to whether they:
1. Just go with the players who were best at camp and lose guys.
2. Send down players who don't have to clear and keep most players.
3. Waive some older guys like Armia and see what happens.

They are likely to lose players, now we just have to hope that we lose guys who never make the NHL as opposed to guys who will make the habs regret the decision for years.

Reactions: ReHabs

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

I know its an intersquad game but nothing in Armia's body of work over the last 2 seasons gives me any hope he'll be better this season. Hard to think that contract runs till the end of next season.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I know its an intersquad game but nothing in Armia's body of work over the last 2 seasons gives me any hope he'll be better this season. Hard to think that contract runs till the end of next season.

There was some rejoicing when he re-signed (though I feel like more media than here) and when I saw the money and term, I shivered a bit (another Bergevin special).

It's worse now that they had to go into a rebuild after the cup run supernova'd Price and Weber.

Reactions: donghabs98

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
They will have to expose someone. It will probably come down to whether they:
1. Just go with the players who were best at camp and lose guys.
2. Send down players who don't have to clear and keep most players.
3. Waive some older guys like Armia and see what happens.

They are likely to lose players, now we just have to hope that we lose guys who never make the NHL as opposed to guys who will make the habs regret the decision for years.
Keeping Ylonen and waiving Armia is the right call. No one is claiming Armia in this cap environment and if for some reason he is, we save 3.4M. I rather have a disgruntled Armia in Laval than risk losing Ylonen.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
There was some rejoicing when he re-signed (though I feel like more media than here) and when I saw the money and term, I shivered a bit (another Bergevin special).

It's worse now that they had to go into a rebuild after the cup run supernova'd Price and Weber.
That 3.4M cap hit made no sense given the term Bergy gave up. Bergy gave up both term and salary to Armia and made the classic mistake of overpaying for someone's playoff outburst. Clearly he didnt learn anything from what happened with guys like Brouwer , Bolland and Bickell who had good playoff runs, got awarded accordingly and then did not live up to their new deals.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Keeping Ylonen and waiving Armia is the right call. No one is claiming Armia in this cap environment and if for some reason he is, we save 3.4M. I rather have a disgruntled Armia in Laval than risk losing Ylonen.

Maybe they'll allow him to go back to Finland and pay him to play somewhere that they aren't obligated to play him and lose a spot for development.

That 3.4M cap hit made no sense given the term Bergy gave up. Bergy gave up both term and salary to Armia and made the classic mistake of overpaying for someone's playoff outburst. Clearly he didnt learn anything from what happened with guys like Brouwer , Bolland and Bickell who had good playoff runs, got awarded accordingly and then did not live up to their new deals.

Sean Bergenheim.

Reactions: donghabs98

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Would love to have a couple ( settle for one ) guys that can make me jump out of my seat like PK, Kovalev.

As to the line ups, deserves got nothen to do with it to quote Clint Eastwood. I just think the players on the lines have a real good chance of bringing out the best in their line mates , on the whole. So yeah maybe a guy would be better with another player on his line, but on the whole of the team.
sadly for you , Drouin isn’t with Habs anymore ; he’s exactly what you want to see
🙃

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Ive had a weird feeling for a while that the top line might eventually be Caufield - Dach - Suzuki with Suzuki shifting to wing. Probably an unpopular opinion but Suzuki's career trajectory has always reminded me of Claude Giroux, heck even sometimes the play style reminds me of Giroux, and Giroux switched between center and wing throughout his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad