Speculation: Jonathan Huberdeau is open to waiving his NMC to go to a contender

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Do the Flames wish they were getting more value from Huberdeau? Absolutely. But I would argue that there are other players on other teams that have contracts that are much more damaging to the team than Huberdeau's is to the Flames. Darnell Nurse for example.
Right now Huby's contract has absolutely no effect on the Flames.. other than getting them over the cap floor.

Sep 18, 2009
uno reverso?
The Florida Panthers made a massive move late Friday night, trading for Calgary Flames winger Matthew Tkachuk. Calgary acquired forward Jonathan Huberdeau, defenseman MacKenzie Weegar, prospect Cole Schwindt and a lottery protected 2025 first-round pick in the deal, and it also sent a conditional 2025 fourth-round pick the Panthers' way.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I am curious about this as well. Can a player & team just decide to walk away from a contract if it's mutual?
As long as the team agrees to it. Zadina and the Wings did it

Do the Flames wish they were getting more value from Huberdeau? Absolutely. But I would argue that there are other players on other teams that have contracts that are much more damaging to the team than Huberdeau's is to the Flames. Darnell Nurse for example.
Right now Huby's contract has absolutely no effect on the Flames.. other than getting them over the cap floor.
The last couple years of his contract will be an issue if the Flames hit in their picks

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
As long as the team agrees to it. Zadina and the Wings did it

The last couple years of his contract will be an issue if the Flames hit in their picks
A lot of years that would have been a problem.. especially for the last few years. However, the cap is predicted to go up by about $10M in the next two years. A conservative estimate would be $19-20M for the next 5 years. I'm not too worried about Huberdeau's $10M contract impact 5 years down the road.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015

The last couple years will be irrelevant when the cap has increased by more than his current cap hit. Unless the Flames draft 3 McDavids, his cap hit will never be a problem. Quote it.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
His underperformance straight up ended their playoff contention window.

And will likely STILL be hurting them when their next window opens, unless they plan to suck for a decade

The last couple years will be irrelevant when the cap has increased by more than his current cap hit. Unless the Flames draft 3 McDavids, his cap hit will never be a problem. Quote it.
Unless the cap goes up to 300 million in the next 5 years, 10.5 mill for a guy who is likely going to be nothing more than a 30 point player who sucks defensively (especially if he can no longer be a power play weapon) in his mid/late 30s is likely going to be a significant negative impact.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
His underperformance straight up ended their playoff contention window.

And will likely STILL be hurting them when their next window opens, unless they plan to suck for a decade

Unless the cap goes up to 300 million in the next 5 years, 10.5 mill for a guy who is likely going to be nothing more than a 30 point player who sucks defensively (especially if he can no longer be a power play weapon) in his mid/late 30s is likely going to be a significant negative impact.
In 2020 he had 3 pts in 4 playoff games. In 2021 he had 10 pts in 6 games. In 2022 he had 5 pts in 10 games. You are cherry picking one playoff year.

With the Flames being in the beginning of a rebuild and their current cap being barely above the league minimum and the league salary cap increasing by unprecedented levels and the strong possibility that Andersson and Kuzmenko will be traded by the TDL for picks and prospects, not too many Flames fans are worried about the effect that Huberdeau's contract will have on the teams ability to stay under the maximum cap in 5 years.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
In 2020 he had 3 pts in 4 playoff games. In 2021 he had 10 pts in 6 games. In 2022 he had 5 pts in 10 games. You are cherry picking one playoff year.

With the Flames being in the beginning of a rebuild and their current cap being barely above the league minimum and the league salary cap increasing by unprecedented levels and the strong possibility that Andersson and Kuzmenko will be traded by the TDL for picks and prospects, not too many Flames fans are worried about the effect that Huberdeau's contract will have on the teams ability to stay under the maximum cap in 5 years.
No, I'm saying the Calgary Flames could have made the playoffs in 22-23 (they missed by 2 points) and been a contender if they weren't saddled with a 50 point player who they gave up Matthew Tkachuk for.

This playoff miss, and Huberdeau's failures and massive contract, then led to the team needing to be taken apart and a complete bare bones rebuild, because you cannot compete with guy like Huberdeau making 10+ mill. (they were somewhat near the playoffs before they tore it all down this year too, perhaps if Huberdeau had more than 16 points by the new year they could have been competing again in 23-24

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
No, I'm saying the Calgary Flames could have made the playoffs in 22-23 (they missed by 2 points) and been a contender if they weren't saddled with a 50 point player who they gave up Matthew Tkachuk for.

This playoff miss, and Huberdeau's failures and massive contract, then led to the team needing to be taken apart and a complete bare bones rebuild, because you cannot compete with guy like Huberdeau making 10+ mill. (they were somewhat near the playoffs before they tore it all down this year too, perhaps if Huberdeau had more than 16 points by the new year they could have been competing again in 23-24
Yeah that's a lot of bull.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Wow. I didn't realize Huberdeau was the reason for the Flames current rebuild. This is so enlightening.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yeah that's a lot of bull.
It's really not. Calgary acquired and signed Huberdeau with plans to continue competing. He was then UTTERLY HORRIFIC compared to what he was supposed to be. If huberdeau had lived up to what he was supposed to be, Calgary would have been a legit threat in each of the last 2 years.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They have him with Pospisil and Mantha to start this year. They're trying to recreate the Bennett-Duclair thing he had in Florida.
I don't think coming into a Sutter system really helped Jonathan, not after all those years in Florida where it was just run-and-gun.

In terms of Calgary.
We're right at the league bottom in terms of cap.
We won't have an significant paychecks to deal out for minimum another 4-5 seasons (Zary and Pospisil won't be 8M dollar men).
It doesn't make sense for us to just ship him somewhere for nothing for another 7 seasons at 50%, it hinders our ability to maximize our rebuild.

I said it earlier in this thread, Calgary's fine with Huberdeau, his contract for the foreseeable future. If he regains his old form, we'll be happy in that it'll speed up the rebuild. If he continues the way he's playing he won't get in the way until the last maybe 2 years of the deal, in which a 50% retention shouldn't hurt the franchise too much.
All of that being said, I think that a trade to Montreal this year with a fair amount of retention makes a lot of sense for the Habs.

They've got the short off-setting cap hits in Dvorak and Armia--who Calgary could flip for additional assets--and they've got an abundance of mid-tier prospects and draft capital.

Huberdeau is the kind of player who would thrive under Marty St Louis. And he'd compliment any number of Montreal's young, emerging forwards. Former Q player and a guy with a great resume in that division.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Habs <-- Huberdeau, Kadri (50% ret.), Weegar, Andersson (50% ret.)

Flames <-- CGY's '25 1st, Gallagher, Anderson, Dvorak, Armia, Price

Montreal gets a significant upgrade as their rebuild is officially over

Calgary shed Huberdeau's contract, and get their pick returned as they dive head-first into a tank

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Habs <-- Huberdeau, Kadri (50% ret.), Weegar, Andersson (50% ret.)

Flames <-- CGY's '25 1st, Gallagher, Anderson, Dvorak, Armia, Price

Montreal gets a significant upgrade as their rebuild is officially over

Calgary shed Huberdeau's contract, and get their pick returned as they dive head-first into a tank
This is awful lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad