Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I find Ylo has had a good camp. Played much better in the 3rd against the devils and deserves a chance to show what he can do before likely losing him on waivers.

. I think Pez, Armia and Kovy will be the extras. Gustav on waivers.

Cole - Suzi - Monahan
RHP - Dach - Slaf
Pearson - Newhook - Andy
Ylo - Evans - Gally

Matheson - Savard
Ghule - Barron
Xhekaj - Harris
Pfff, I won’t report.
I’m not being shunned by HF and forced to comment and interact on Twitter or reddit.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Is this a joke? Draft position has nothing to do with it. Kaprizov was one of the best U20 player in KHL history. So if Michkov eclipses his numbers, it is definitely a worthwhile achievement.
You're kidding right? lol. If Kaprizov was one of the best,why was he drafted in the 5th round?

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
It's the 1st time in a long time that we don't get any info on the training camp. Nothing on practices, PP or PK and even group divided in ABC.

I got the feeling that the media are not welcome anymore in MTL practice, it feel weird....

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Never really got the rationale indeed.
I don't like the contract.

I think the point was to ensure we had a descent goalie in front of the young guys while they develop. And, if we ever found a young goalie of the future, Allen is a top notch vet backup to bother be a good back up on the ice and a good vet to the young goalie off the ice.

At the end of the day, given we haven't yet needed the cap space,it hasn't yet come back to bite us. We'll see about next year/summer and the cap situation.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I don't like the contract.

I think the point was to ensure we had a descent goalie in front of the young guys while they develop. And, if we ever found a young goalie of the future, Allen is a top notch vet backup to bother be a good back up on the ice and a good vet to the young goalie off the ice.

At the end of the day, given we haven't yet needed the cap space,it hasn't yet come back to bite us. We'll see about next year/summer and the cap situation.
I think it won't be a huge issue given cap increase and possibility to bury 1.1m in the minors, the only potential issue could be Price off Season LTIR

Reactions: 26Mats

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Ylonen hasn't really done anything this camp to make the club. He's been average at best, still time to make an impression but time is running out.
I am sure they'll put out the Detroit trash and Wideman before they risk Ylonen on waivers. That could still happen, but only when Dvorak is healthy and then a decision will be made based on the first month or so regarding Ylonen, Slaf, RHP and Pez.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lines are finally on MTL website

As I projected, a 4th line of Pezzetta-Evans-Gallagher
I wonder why Stephen's is in Newhooks place, and if Pearson has an inside track on the 3rd line wing spot with Anderson and Newhook.

Great to see Gallagher is on the 4th line, where he belongs. He may actually be a good 4th liner at this stage of his career, albeit a tad overpaid for the role.

I am sure they'll put out the Detroit trash and Wideman before they risk Ylonen on waivers. That could still happen, but only when Dvorak is healthy and then a decision will be made based on the first month or so regarding Ylonen, Slaf, RHP and Pez.
This is what I would do.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
It's the 1st time in a long time that we don't get any info on the training camp. Nothing on practices, PP or PK and even group divided in ABC.

I got the feeling that the media are not welcome anymore in MTL practice, it feel weird....
Since Twitter was bought by Musk, media info has been scarce. Before Musk bought it, people without account could do search (less or more it was getting worst already), but now it's basically a closed system for people with accounts. So if nobody here is scouring it with an account nothing will be posted here.

Reactions: EveryDay

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Both Pezz & Armia in the pressbox or are you waiving one?

It's between Lindstrom, Pez, and Armia in terms of who gets waived, imo.

Can't keep all threee, and they are bottom of the depth chart, imo. Unless there is an injury before the season starts.

I would keep Pezz and Armia, and waive Lindstrom.
We would have 14 F, 7 D, and 2 G

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Newhook is practicing with Cole and Nick this morning.

Matheson is not on the ice .. of course.
Interesting to see Newhook with CC and Suzie. If Newhook isn't with Anderson, I'd like to see RHP with Anderson. Maybe RHP - Monahan - Anderson.

But as of now, I have it:

Caufield - Suzuki - Monahan
Slaf - Dach - RHP
Anderson - Newhook - Pearson
Gallagher - Evan's - Ylonen/Pez/Armia

Reactions: HABitual Fan

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Interesting to see Newhook with CC and Suzie. If Newhook isn't with Anderson, I'd like to see RHP with Anderson. Maybe RHP - Monahan - Anderson.

Slaf - Dach - RHP
Yes to this lineup except switch Pearson with Gallagher

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007

Slaf - Dach - RHP
I agree on the 14 forwards, but would probably switch Pearson with RHP. I think that Anderson and RHP worked well together at the end of the year, and he can at least keep up skating wise. A line that can burn slower lines. Pearson speed wise could be good with Slaf and mentor him on what he needs to do to have success.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Why is there no game tonight? If you start supplying addicts you better keep the good stuff coming. I want hockey every day damnit.
Back to back against Toronto this Friday/Saturday. Than a game on the 2nd (AHL camp start) and then on the 7th. Regular season start on the 10th, which means the habs will have plenty of team to practices as a full team this year.

But I'm not sure why the Habs started so soon and ended up with big hole in weeks 2 of pre-season...they will be bored. Us too.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I would keep Pezz and Armia, and waive Lindstrom.
We would have 14 F, 7 D, and 2 G
I think Gorton appreciates a little bit of toughness in our line-up after the Wilson incident in NYR so I see Pezz sticking around.

I think we're all tired of Armia but not sure if they would waive a vet and completely kill any chance of ever moving him. They would probably need to buy him out as oppose to sending him to Laval out of respect. Is Pearson better than Armia, I thought he had negative value and that's why VAN added the 3rd in the DeSmith trade.

I don't know Lindstrom well enough to comment but I can see them carrying an extra dman over a forward. I think it will be 13-8-2 as opposed to 14-7-2. They could also send Barron, Xhekaj, or Harris down if not losing anyone on waivers is important

I still think RHP might start in Laval and be our first call up because he's waiver exempt.

JT3

May 27, 2013
Back to back against Toronto this Friday/Saturday. Than a game on the 2nd (AHL camp start) and then on the 7th. Regular season start on the 10th, which means the habs will have plenty of team to practices as a full team this year.

But I'm not sure why the Habs started so soon and ended up with big hole in weeks 2 of pre-season...they will be bored. Us too.
Apparently Suzuki planned or encouraged the org to set up a team trip to Mont Tremblant next week before the final preseason game as a team bonding trip. So they definitely won't be bored, but yeah can't say the same for us. :laugh:

Reactions: jrom and morhilane

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You're kidding right? lol. If Kaprizov was one of the best,why was he drafted in the 5th round?

He hadn't yet exploded in his draft year and they feared he would stay in Russia (which he did for 5 years). He had 8 pts in 31 games.

He is the current leader for points in a single season for U20 in the KHL with his D+2 42 points. His D+1 was 6th with 27 pts.

Michkov D year is 12th with 20.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
We have so many players in the pool now that losing a few guys is inevitable at some point, it's just a numbers thing. Guys like Yolo, Pez and Primeau have been in the system for 5 years now, the staff knows what they have in them and how much development might stiill be on the table. I wouldn't be all that heartbroken about losing any of them in the long run. The NHL is a hard league to play in, it is what it is.
With Pezetta you know what you have and he has a role. Primeau looks like a bust but goalies develop late. Ylonen needs more drive.

Would surprise me a bit if Ylonen breaks through here. It would not surprise me if he shows another level with another team that picks him up on waivers.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Apparently Suzuki planned or encouraged the org to set up a team trip to Mont Tremblant next week before the final preseason game as a team bonding trip. So they definitely won't be bored, but yeah can't say the same for us. :laugh:
Don't they do the retreat team bonding things every year? Just shorter usually (like one weekend).

JT3

May 27, 2013
Don't they do the retreat team bonding things every year? Just shorter usually (like one weekend).
Perhaps, I don't recall anything from last year but that might be my faulty memory more than anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad