Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Interesting to see Newhook with CC and Suzie. If Newhook isn't with Anderson, I'd like to see RHP with Anderson. Maybe RHP - Monahan - Anderson.

But as of now, I have it:

Caufield - Suzuki - Monahan
Slaf - Dach - RHP
Anderson - Newhook - Pearson
Gallagher - Evan's - Ylonen/Pez/Armia
I like that they’re experimenting. Newhook should definitely get a shot with those 2.

You want to see out of him and Money hands who looks better with cc and Suzuki and who should center the 3rd line

Reactions: Rapala and 26Mats

Jul 6, 2016
I think Gorton appreciates a little bit of toughness in our line-up after the Wilson incident in NYR so I see Pezz sticking around.

I think we're all tired of Armia but not sure if they would waive a vet and completely kill any chance of ever moving him. They would probably need to buy him out as oppose to sending him to Laval out of respect. Is Pearson better than Armia, I thought he had negative value and that's why VAN added the 3rd in the DeSmith trade.

I don't know Lindstrom well enough to comment but I can see them carrying an extra dman over a forward. I think it will be 13-8-2 as opposed to 14-7-2. They could also send Barron, Xhekaj, or Harris down if not losing anyone on waivers is important

I still think RHP might start in Laval and be our first call up because he's waiver exempt.
Why would RHP pays for the lack of energy and production of Armia, Gally, Ylonen, etc... ?

Reactions: Rapala

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think Gorton appreciates a little bit of toughness in our line-up after the Wilson incident in NYR so I see Pezz sticking around.

I think we're all tired of Armia but not sure if they would waive a vet and completely kill any chance of ever moving him. They would probably need to buy him out as oppose to sending him to Laval out of respect. Is Pearson better than Armia, I thought he had negative value and that's why VAN added the 3rd in the DeSmith trade.

I don't know Lindstrom well enough to comment but I can see them carrying an extra dman over a forward. I think it will be 13-8-2 as opposed to 14-7-2. They could also send Barron, Xhekaj, or Harris down if not losing anyone on waivers is important

I still think RHP might start in Laval and be our first call up because he's waiver exempt.
Pearson has negative value because there's a complete year remaining to his contract (he is paid a tad too much at his age) and he barely played last year being injured. If he is healthy at the deadline with less than half his cap hit to take then his will have value. The pick we will get will be conditional to him playing a certain amount of games for sure though. He is also a better player than Armia if healthy and 100%. He is not as good as he used to be but so is Armia they are both over 30.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Caufield Suzuki Anderson
Newhook Dach Slafkovsky
RHP Monahan Pearson
Gallagher Dvorak Armia
Evans

Those would be my lines when everyone is healthy

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Back to back against Toronto this Friday/Saturday. Than a game on the 2nd (AHL camp start) and then on the 7th. Regular season start on the 10th, which means the habs will have plenty of team to practices as a full team this year.

But I'm not sure why the Habs started so soon and ended up with big hole in weeks 2 of pre-season...they will be bored. Us too.
Hopefully it gives them time to practice the PP and PK with less games and the lineup already set

Reactions: morhilane and Deebs

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
When are we expecting first cuts? after tomorrow/saturday? I have tickets on monday would love to see the full team

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Any news on what the lines were in the groups that practiced at 11:45?
The only line mentioned by the media was CC/Suzuki/Newhook training together. Going by who is in group A and group C being Rocket players, than group B would be mostly last night team + Newhook.

When are we expecting first cuts? after tomorrow/saturday? I have tickets on monday would love to see the full team
Laval start their camp on October 2nd, so after Saturday game most of the AHLers should be cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats and Colezuki

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
The only line mentioned by the media was CC/Suzuki/Newhook training together. Going by who is in group A and group C being Rocket players, than group A would be mostly last night team + Newhook.

Laval start their camp on October 2nd, so after Saturday game most of the AHLers should be cut.
Spectacular, happy to see what I hope is 3 lines of nhlers along with 4 or 5 of the 6 d!

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
1695931548399.jpeg

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
When Dvo gets back, top 9 should be

Caufield-Suzuki-Monahan
Newhook-Dach-Slaf
RHP-Dvo-Anderson
That’s what I want too. I like it except dvo at 3c. But Moneyhands and Newhook I like to see in the top 6.

Probably an unpopular opinion but if Monahan stays healthy, I’d roll the dice and keep him. I completely understand that’s a big gamble and likely poor asset management but I just like what he brings too much

Reactions: Redux91

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Ylonen hasn't really done anything this camp to make the club. He's been average at best, still time to make an impression but time is running out.
Players like RHP and Gignac are making him look soft and unengaged. That is exactly what I've criticized him for in the past. The dude skates like the wind but doesn't do much when he arrives. Good shot great edges and not much else.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Why would RHP pays for the lack of energy and production of Armia, Gally, Ylonen, etc... ?
I think we agree that RHP is better than Ylonen and is better or at least has more potential than Armia. I prefer having RHP in our line-up to all 3 guys mentioned.

However, I think HuGo might also be considering asset management and not want to lose a young prospect like Ylonen or treat vets poorly that could harm future vets from signing with us. I think they might consider having RHP start in Laval where he's waiver exempt. That gives us some time to either move one of our forwards or call him up when an injury takes place.

I might be completely wrong and HuGO might see RHP far superior to Ylonen and assess little risk of Ylonen getting picked up on waivers. They also might manage the situation very professionally with Armia so he can understand the demotion and not become a distraction in Laval.

Anyways - I'm curious to see how they manage it and hear different perspectives from our fan base. Should be interesting to see the final line-up decisions over the coming weeks - especially if a nice young asset becomes available to us over waivers (I believe we're 5th in priority order)

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Yes, he is
A little overpaid and injury prone, but definitely better than Armia imo
Because of contract situation?
Armia 3.4x2
Pearson 3.25x1

or because Pearson's the better player? His stats look better but curious how strong he comes back after his wrist injury.

I've never seen Pearson play so asking out of genuine curiosity

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
I think we agree that RHP is better than Ylonen and is better or at least has more potential than Armia. I prefer having RHP in our line-up to all 3 guys mentioned.

However, I think HuGo might also be considering asset management and not want to lose a young prospect like Ylonen or treat vets poorly that could harm future vets from signing with us. I think they might consider having RHP start in Laval where he's waiver exempt. That gives us some time to either move one of our forwards or call him up when an injury takes place.

I might be completely wrong and HuGO might see RHP far superior to Ylonen and assess little risk of Ylonen getting picked up on waivers. They also might manage the situation very professionally with Armia so he can understand the demotion and not become a distraction in Laval.

Anyways - I'm curious to see how they manage it and hear different perspectives from our fan base. Should be interesting to see the final line-up decisions over the coming weeks - especially if a nice young asset becomes available to us over waivers (I believe we're 5th in priority order)

I don't know where or which platform but I have a vague memory that Hughes and Gorton said that they will start with the players that deserves it and worry about the waivers/trade after.

I don't think they will be sad to waive Armia tbh. Their mentality for this season is to take a step forward. You can't take a step in the right direction by keeping Armia, that clearly doesn't care anymore, over a kid that gives his all everyday for the team.

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I don't know where or which platform but I have a vague memory that Hughes and Gorton said that they will start with the players that deserves it and worry about the waivers/trade after.

I don't think they will be sad to waive Armia tbh. Their mentality for this season is to take a step forward. You can't take a step in the right direction by keeping Armia, that clearly doesn't care anymore, over a kid that gives his all everyday for the team.

That would be very exciting!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad