Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I don't know where or which platform but I have a vague memory that Hughes and Gorton said that they will start with the players that deserves it and worry about the waivers/trade after.

I don't think they will be sad to waive Armia tbh. Their mentality for this season is to take a step forward. You can't take a step in the right direction by keeping Armia, that clearly doesn't care anymore, over a kid that gives his all everyday for the team.
From what I understand, Armia seems quite well appreciated by the lockerroom and coaches both. He’s reportedly a hard worker in practice and doesn’t dog it.

On a “good vibes with players” level, it is hard to justify waiving him and sending him to the AHL. Waiving with the intention of shedding his contract, I can see that. But if he does his job in practice, brings a good attitude, and blocks shots and kills penalties… other players might not take his demotion well.

(My theory of his decline is that he’s become a victim of several concussions but that is neither here nor there.)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
From what I understand, Armia seems quite well appreciated by the lockerroom and coaches both. He’s reportedly a hard worker in practice and doesn’t dog it.

On a “good vibes with players” level, it is hard to justify waiving him and sending him to the AHL. Waiving with the intention of shedding his contract, I can see that. But if he does his job in practice, brings a good attitude, and blocks shots and kills penalties… other players might not take his demotion well.

(My theory of his decline is that he’s become a victim of several concussions but that is neither here nor there.)

What you say about Armia can be applied to Wideman also. A guy who is very much appreciated by his teammates. A glue guy. And it was evident at the golf tournament when guys were asked who they missed the most, Wideman's name came up the most often.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I don't know where or which platform but I have a vague memory that Hughes and Gorton said that they will start with the players that deserves it and worry about the waivers/trade after.

I don't think they will be sad to waive Armia tbh. Their mentality for this season is to take a step forward. You can't take a step in the right direction by keeping Armia, that clearly doesn't care anymore, over a kid that gives his all everyday for the team.
Gallagher's contract is unmovable, the best we can expect there is the press box. He will never retire with all that money on the table and a buyout is 6 years of dead cap at $2m+ (one of the year is $4.6m). Habs don't want another big multi-year LTIR contract either.

Armia could be moved. Trade won't bring back anything and the team with cap space will ask something to take him. I don't think waiver will happen.

It might be easier to move Evans and Pezzetta really.

On D, there is just too many upcoming prospects, some will have to be traded, even once Matheson, Wideman and Savard are not there anymore.

Armia got Covid at least twice. He was never the same after the first time.

Reactions: WinterLion

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You have to imagine that cuts will come either after tonight or after tomorrow's game.

Laval's camp starts on Monday. So the AHL guys will surely be assigned there by Sunday. Also, after the weekend games against the Leafs, the Habs will only have 2 preseason games left. And usually, the last two games is closer to the full line-up + a few guys who are being given a final look.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014

Yes, you're right, talking exclusively about Armia I should have said trade rather than waiver. Shows more respect towards the player too. It gives him an opportunity to continue his career instead of just being told '' you're not good enough go away. ''

Either way, I strongly disagree to send a kid that deserves to be in the NHL over a player that has a contract but doesn't show up 4 games out of 5.

RHP deserves to be with Montréal and should be in our top9. Even if we disregard last year performances.

Reactions: ReHabs

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I expect an average lineup tonight, mostly AHL level up front and a few young NHL player on defence.

Mailloux-Reinbacher-Barron-Harris-Xhekaj and maybe Struble?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Then why does he do a much better job in international tournaments? Bigger rink and less hitting? His play in the NHL makes him impossible to trade. I doubt the other players would be too upset if he is sent to the minors s long as his replacement is a better player.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Armia plays like Gretzky every time he goes back to Finland. It’s between the ears with him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Armia plays like Gretzky every time he goes back to Finland. It’s between the ears with him.
My impression of Armia is he lacks NHL top 6 hockey sense, which yes is located between the ears. So we'll see flashes of brilliance because of his tools and size. But he doesn't have the hockey sense to consistently read the play and therefore consistently create offense.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Then why does he do a much better job in international tournaments? Bigger rink and less hitting? His play in the NHL makes him impossible to trade. I doubt the other players would be too upset if he is sent to the minors s long as his replacement is a better player.
He wasn't that great last World Championship from what I remember. I think injuries and Covid just got to him.

Reactions: Rapala

Jul 6, 2016
When you look at the line ups the NHL teams are icing for pre-season games, I am asking myself what is the real purpose of these camps. The "regular players" are participating in 2-3 games, and a bunch of "wannabes" are filling jerseys and playing even more games (in total among themselves)) . 90% of these guys should be back in Junior after one game or sent down to their AHL camps. Let the 25-35 best players play the games together (even if it is only 3 or 4), get in shape and sync, and be ready for the start of the season.

Habs, for example, have "maybe" one or two open roster spots. We could even say, none at all. They don't need 72 players around to figure out what to do.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I want to see a Slaf-Dach-Monahan line
I do too. I would put new hook with suz and cauf. Add speed to that line. Could be deadly. Then monahan can guide the young guys and help dach with face offs. Big line. Bottom 2 lines mix and match.

Reactions: Fatbiggie

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
When you look at the line ups the NHL teams are icing for pre-season games, I am asking myself what is the real purpose of these camps. The "regular players" are participating in 2-3 games, and a bunch of "wannabes" are filling jerseys and playing even more games (in total among themselves)) . 90% of these guys should be back in Junior after one game or sent down to their AHL camps. Let the 25-35 best players play the games together (even if it is only 3 or 4), get in shape and sync, and be ready for the start of the season.

Habs, for example, have "maybe" one or two open roster spots. We could even say, none at all. They don't need 72 players around to figure out what to do.
A) Vets don't like doing pre-season games, so teams needs to keep spares to ice full teams.
B) Sometimes a team are scheduled two pre-season games on the same day, so you need x2 the players.
C) Teams use those to evaluate prospects after their off-season training and their new acquisitions. Also to find chemistry. Habs cut 4 players (returned to their junior teams) before the first pre-season game thougth.
D) It also serve as a pre-camp to the AHL camp (which is very short) for the AHLers.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I expect an average lineup tonight, mostly AHL level up front and a few young NHL player on defence.

Mailloux-Reinbacher-Barron-Harris-Xhekaj and maybe Struble?
tva sports gave the lines, in case it wasn't posted.

Formation des Canadiens​

Joel Armia - Sean Monahan - Josh Anderson
Tanner Pearson - Jake Evans - Brendan Gallagher
Joshua Roy - Owen Beck - Jesse Ylonen
Jan Mysak - Mitchell Stephens - John Parker-Jones

Jordan Harris - Logan Mailloux
Arber Xhekaj - Gustav Lindstrom
Nicolas Beaudin - Justin Barron

Cayden Primeau
Strauss Mann

Jul 6, 2016
A) Vets don't like doing pre-season games, so teams needs to keep spares to ice full teams.
B) Sometimes a team are scheduled two pre-season games on the same day, so you need x2 the players.
C) Teams use those to evaluate prospects after their off-season training and their new acquisitions. Also to find chemistry. Habs cut 4 players (returned to their junior teams) before the first pre-season game thougth.
D) It also serve as a pre-camp to the AHL camp (which is very short) for the AHLers.
False excuses. Vets need to play pre season, and they would enjoy it more if they would play against real NHL players and best prospects. As for the two games per day, it would not happen with a shorter schedule with the best players. Most teama have rookie camps . Habs knew right after their own, who should be returned. They could had sent more down before the real camp. And AHL level players should play against other AHL level players in their own camps which could be the same length than the NHL camp.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Interesting to see Newhook with CC and Suzie. If Newhook isn't with Anderson, I'd like to see RHP with Anderson. Maybe RHP - Monahan - Anderson.

But as of now, I have it:

Caufield - Suzuki - Monahan
Slaf - Dach - RHP
Anderson - Newhook - Pearson
Gallagher - Evan's - Ylonen/Pez/Armia
Line 2 is too young.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
tva sports gave the lines, in case it wasn't posted.

Formation des Canadiens​

Joshua Roy - Owen Beck - Jesse Ylonen
Jan Mysak - Mitchell Stephens - John Parker-Jones

Jordan Harris - Logan Mailloux
Arber Xhekaj - Gustav Lindstrom
Nicolas Beaudin - Justin Barron

Cayden Primeau
Strauss Mann
I'm not crazy about starting with a bottom six of

At least Gallagher would be on the 4th line. But Armia should be there with him and Pearson on the 3rd line. I'd also like Ylonen in over Armia. And we'll see how Newhook does with CC and Suzuki. But I'd think Monahan would be best with them and Newhook centering Anderson.

Line 2 is too young.
it's possible. But RHP is Suzuki's age.

There are so many options and things will need to be worked out on the ice.
Maybe we see:

Caufield - Suzuki - Monahan/Newhook
Salf - Dach - Pearson
RHP - Monahan/Newhook - Anderson
Gallagher - Evans - Armia/Ylonen/Pez

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's the oldest of the RHP/Dach/Slaf line, but the one with the lower amount of NHL games played (38, one less than Slaf).
I'm not worried about RHP's age, and the age of a RHP-Dach-Slaf line, especially in a development year.

But, if we want gray hair on each line, we could go:

Caufield - Suzuki - Monahan
Slaf - Dach - Pearson
RHP - Newhook - Anderson
Gallagher - Evans - Armia/Ylonen/Pez

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad