Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
It's hard to change anything 10 days later. Maybe Mailloux first?!

1.mailloux
2.roy
3.bech
I think none will start in MTL, Beck goes back to OHL. Mailloux was not much better than Barron and a full AHL season would do him good. Roy is stuck between a lot of veterans they need to prop up ahead of the deadline (Armia, Pearson, let s face it Gallagher will be iced but nobody is touching that contract)

Aces on the road

Oct 27, 2020
Interesting to see how line up will develope. I am probbly only Armia fan here and he does not deserve what he gets here. He is usefull player can be placed in different lines, very good defensively. If coach says play 0-0 he will. Probably only player cabable and willing to do it.
Team is much weaker without him, he can be in 4th and very usefull there.

Reactions: bsl

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Curious if we see some more cuts with only 3 pre-season games left (Leafs Sept 30 & Oct 3rd, Sens Oct 8th)

Guessing some of these guys who played last night might be at risk:
Jan Mysak
Mitchell Stephens
John Parker-Jones​
Nicolas Beaudin​
Strauss Mann

They might even try and send Ylonen & Primeau down early if they think there's a better chance they clear waivers now as opposed to the end of camp​

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's hard to change anything 10 days later. Maybe Mailloux first?!

1.mailloux
2.roy
3.bech
None of the above in all probability, but Roy at least as some chance. Mailloux has definite flaws in his game that he needs to work out in Laval, while Beck is underage and going back to the OHL.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Curious if we see some more cuts with only 3 pre-season games left (Leafs Sept 30 & Oct 3rd, Sens Oct 8th)

Jan Mysak​
Mitchell Stephens​
John Parker-Jones​
Nicolas Beaudin​
Strauss Mann​
They might even try and send Ylonen & Primeau down early if they think there's a better chance they clear waivers now as opposed to the end of camp​

I think they will make a batch of cuts after tonight s game.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Jan Mysak​
Mitchell Stephens​
John Parker-Jones​
Nicolas Beaudin​
Strauss Mann​
They might even try and send Ylonen & Primeau down early if they think there's a better chance they clear waivers now as opposed to the end of camp
Too early. They might still be tradeable, alone or in a package.

For example, if Ylonen could make the Sens, who want cheap guys to fill out their roster, then he could be a useful small add to a Price for Joseph trade.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Disappointed by Barron. If he needs to start in the AHL to find his game early on then so be it.

Personally, I would put Armia on waivers and start either Roy or Beck until Dvorak returns.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I would start the season with 13F, 7D and 3G right now.

Caufield-Suzuki-Monahan
Harvey Pinard-Darch-Slafkosvky
Anderson-Newhook-Gallagher
Pearson-Evans-Ylonen
Pezzetta

Waivers: Armia
IR: Dvorak

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Harris
Xhekaj-Kovacevic
Lindstrom

IR: Wideman
AHL: Barron (bad camp like last year and no need for waivers)

Montembeault
Allen
Primeau

I think we need to wait for Primeau. i would try with 3 goalies for a month. The best would be to trade Allen.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
You're kidding right? lol. If Kaprizov was one of the best,why was he drafted in the 5th round?
His draft year wasn't anything special, but many people still argued that he should have gone higher than the 5th round. However, when we talk about his U20 KHL career, we're not talking only about his draft year. Kaprizov was phenomenal in his +1 and +2 seasons, which are seasons that are included in the U20 category.

You seem to be confusing U20 for draft year. U20 includes the draft year, but also includes seasons after that. The point simply was that if Michkov posts higher numbers than Kaprizov's D+1 and D+2 seasons, it'll be one hell of a feat.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
His draft year wasn't anything special, but many people still argued that he should have gone higher than the 5th round. However, when we talk about his U20 KHL career, we're not talking only about his draft year. Kaprizov was phenomenal in his +1 and +2 seasons, which are seasons that are included in the U20 category.

You seem to be confusing U20 for draft year. U20 includes the draft year, but also includes seasons after that. The point simply was that if Michkov posts higher numbers than Kaprizov's D+1 and D+2 seasons, it'll be one hell of a feat.
2015? That was one of the best & deepest drafts in quite some time - especially top-100

Habs of course have nothing to show for..

Reactions: ReHabs

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
2015? That was one of the best & deepest drafts in quite some time - especially top-100

Habs of course have nothing to show for..
What are you talking about? I'm speaking specifically about Kaprizov, whose draft-year numbers weren't anything special. We weren't talking about the quality of the draft. This was simply a discussion comparing Michkov to Kaprizov...

Reactions: salbutera

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I saw where it was speculated that the Habs don't think Primeau will clear waivers due to TB/Avs and might start the season with 3 goalies. I don't get that as I would just waive Allen as I don't think he will be picked due to his 2nd year but it would be great if he did and if not he could be great for Dobes.

Reactions: BLONG7

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I would start the season with 13F, 7D and 3G right now.

Caufield-Suzuki-Monahan
Harvey Pinard-Darch-Slafkosvky
Anderson-Newhook-Gallagher
Pearson-Evans-Ylonen
Pezzetta

Waivers: Armia
IR: Dvorak

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Harris
Xhekaj-Kovacevic
Lindstrom

IR: Wideman
AHL: Barron (bad camp like last year and no need for waivers)

Montembeault
Allen
Primeau

I think we need to wait for Primeau. i would try with 3 goalies for a month. The best would be to trade Allen.

That's a terrible idea. The last thing Primeau needs is to be thrown to the wolves.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think none will start in MTL, Beck goes back to OHL. Mailloux was not much better than Barron and a full AHL season would do him good. Roy is stuck between a lot of veterans they need to prop up ahead of the deadline (Armia, Pearson, let s face it Gallagher will be iced but nobody is touching that contract)
The kids need the AHL............they just do.
If all goes well, they come up after Xmas.....at best.
Developing their game, and learning to be a pro, takes time.....we need to be more patient guys.

I saw where it was speculated that the Habs don't think Primeau will clear waivers due to TB/Avs and might start the season with 3 goalies. I don't get that as I would just waive Allen as I don't think he will be picked due to his 2nd year but it would be great if he did and if not he could be great for Dobes.
Allen wont get touched at the 3.8M contract........and if he did, boy would that be fantastic!!

Expect waivers tomorrow for a lot of players imo.

Barron has been rather unimpressive again.
Barron struggled last night somewhat, but his upside is high.

Reactions: montreal

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Figures crossed I’ve got tickets to mondays game so I’d like to see a pretty much full team
Preseason games are for me, always duds............I hate seeing 8-9 guys from the team, and a bunch of kids...I know why it's done, I just struggle with any kind of results, period.

Looking for a better showing tonight vs the Leafs again..........I wont watch.
Maybe next week as you say could be a closer lineup, so...........

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think people need to be careful about putting too much stock into training camp and preseason. Barron looked good in the actual NHL last season. Analytically John Parker Jones was by far the best player for the Habs yesterday. Mailloux ironically had a decent game defensively and was awful for offensive impact.

jpohks05sarb1.jpg

It's pretty common for vets to not give a shit and first year players out of junior to push the hardest. Jacob de la Rose is what happens when you take training camp results too seriously.

That being said, Gally can't even skate at this point, it has nothing to do with effort. Kind of sad considering his dad is a training and skating coach.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Don't they do the retreat team bonding things every year? Just shorter usually (like one weekend).
I remember reading that our former clown GM removed the pre-season team bounding retreat when he became GM so we are looking at early in his reign of terror.

-Edit-

It was removed a few years ago by the clown GM but it didn’t mention when. Before Bergevin it used to be a annual tradition.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
There is less chance Primeau gets claimed if he is waived at the same time as a bunch of other goalies/players than if he is waived alone a month or two after the season started (like what happened to Monty). No point in keeping him up, unless Allen or Monty aren't 100% and Habs knows one of them will be on IR soon.

Beside, the kid really need a change in scenery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad