Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
It's been confirmed that Struble has a light injury. How predictable...

Matheson skated today. He's might make it for one of next week pre-season games.

• Wow
Reactions: Gustave

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Don t
There is less chance Primeau gets claimed if he is waived at the same time as a bunch of other goalies/players than if he is waived alone a month or two after the season started (like what happened to Monty). No point in keeping him up, unless Allen or Monty aren't 100% and Habs knows one of them will be on IR soon.

Beside, the kid really need a change in scenery.
why ? He is not having a bad pre season, not a great one but why would the change of scenery change anything ?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would start the season with 13F, 7D and 3G right now.

Caufield-Suzuki-Monahan
Harvey Pinard-Darch-Slafkosvky
Anderson-Newhook-Gallagher
Pearson-Evans-Ylonen
Pezzetta

Waivers: Armia
IR: Dvorak

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Harris
Xhekaj-Kovacevic
Lindstrom

IR: Wideman
AHL: Barron (bad camp like last year and no need for waivers)

Montembeault
Allen
Primeau

I think we need to wait for Primeau. i would try with 3 goalies for a month. The best would be to trade Allen.
This is my lineup, but I'd swap Pearson and Gallagher. Also I'd swap Guhle and Savard. And, Barron and Mailloux still have a chance to steal a spot in and bump Kovacevic to the 7D spot.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
I don't see why, it's not like they are looking outstanding. Both have a good bit of work to do yet imo.
Fair enough! I'm not a fan of calling up 1st-year AHL prospects mid-season as I think it kinda kills their rhythm. If they start in the AHL, hopefully they stay there until the TDL at least.

Reactions: montreal

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
That's a terrible idea. The last thing Primeau needs is to be thrown to the wolves.
That's what turned Monty from AHLer into a starter though. He was the worst goalie in the league two years ago by both statistical and analytical perspectives, and also the eye test. Last year he improved a ridiculous amount and was top 10 in advanced stats despite a pretty marginal improvement stat-wise. I think the Allen re-signing is Hughes only real mistake thus far. He likely did it because of how bad Monty was the previous year, they probably went into last season thinking they'd let Monty walk and keep Allen to mentor Primeau.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
That's what turned Monty from AHLer into a starter though. He was the worst goalie in the league two years ago by both statistical and analytical perspectives, and also the eye test. Last year he improved a ridiculous amount and was top 10 in advanced stats despite a pretty marginal improvement stat-wise. I think the Allen re-signing is Hughes only real mistake thus far. He likely did it because of how bad Monty was the previous year, they probably went into last season thinking they'd let Monty walk and keep Allen to mentor Primeau.
Keeping Allen was not a mistake, he was insurance. And he's not immovable so no long-term issue anyway

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Keeping Allen was not a mistake, he was insurance. And he's not immovable so no long-term issue anyway
He is unmovable because no team in the league has space for a 3.8 mil backup. He's a character guy so you can't waive him and send him to the AHL either. We basically have to dump Primeau for free because we signed Allen after four years of development.

Reactions: ReHabs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He is unmovable because no team in the league has space for a 3.8 mil backup. He's a character guy so you can't waive him and send him to the AHL either. We basically have to dump Primeau for free because we signed Allen after four years of development.
Allen has been borderline elite G when used 36GP or less during his career, it’s when he surpasses that threshold, his game falls off the cliff

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Chicago has the space, they have Mrazek as starter.

Buffalo has the space too and they are again going to try to compete with AHLers in net or a rookie fresh out of the NCAA.

D'Amico said Habs received trade request(s) for Primeau, but they might have gotten some for Allen for all we know.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Chicago has the space, they have Mrazek as starter.

Buffalo has the space too and they are again going to try to compete with AHLers in net or a rookie fresh out of the NCAA.

D'Amico said Habs received trade request(s) for Primeau, but they might have gotten some for Allen for all we know.
Chicago are trying to get first overall again, they're rolling with what they have and have no reason to take back salary for free. Do you want to pay a first to dump Allen? In his short stint last year Levi was clearly better than either of our goalies and nearly pushed them into the playoffs. Buffalo are absolutely going to roll with him. They don't even have any bad contracts to dump back our way to entice them.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Fair enough! I'm not a fan of calling up 1st-year AHL prospects mid-season as I think it kinda kills their rhythm. If they start in the AHL, hopefully they stay there until the TDL at least.

it used to drive me f***ing crazy when the Habs did this over and over and over and over. Guys would just start putting together a string of good games offensively and of course here comes MB, calls them up, they barely play on the bottom line/pairing, end up benched, then press box for a week to make them better people only to send them back to the AHL and surprise now they suck in the AHL too. :banghead::madfire:

I look at it as the NHL is not the place to try and learn how to do something for 18, 19, 20 year olds. Learn how to do it and get good at it and then call them up once they have shown for long enough that they should be called up. Nothing like having a 19 year old on your 4th line in the AHL for half the season only to call him up to the NHL but then keep him past his 10 games just to sit in the f***ing press box. And fans wonder why the Habs have sucked at development for years now. You just can't keep making so many mistakes.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Chicago are trying to get first overall again, they're rolling with what they have and have no reason to take back salary for free. Do you want to pay a first to dump Allen? In his short stint last year Levi was clearly better than either of our goalies and nearly pushed them into the playoffs. Buffalo are absolutely going to roll with him. They don't even have any bad contracts to dump back our way to entice them.
Habs did just fine getting the 1st overall with Allen in net and he's apparently a very good rebuilding team guy to have around.

Buffalo needs a competent vet back-up to second Levi.

Reactions: abo9

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
it used to drive me f***ing crazy when the Habs did this over and over and over and over. Guys would just start putting together a string of good games offensively and of course here comes MB, calls them up, they barely play on the bottom line/pairing, end up benched, then press box for a week to make them better people only to send them back to the AHL and surprise now they suck in the AHL too. :banghead::madfire:

I look at it as the NHL is not the place to try and learn how to do something for 18, 19, 20 year olds. Learn how to do it and get good at it and then call them up once they have shown for long enough that they should be called up. Nothing like having a 19 year old on your 4th line in the AHL for half the season only to call him up to the NHL but then keep him past his 10 games just to sit in the f***ing press box. And fans wonder why the Habs have sucked at development for years now. You just can't keep making so many mistakes.
Big Mac, DLR and Scherbak all had short term AHL success, got called up and splat. Then they get sent down and blech. As examples.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Twenty-five players will join the Laval Rocket training camp, which opens on Monday, October 2. Among them, there are 14 forwards (Gabriel Bourque, Jared Davidson, Isaac Dufort, Brandon Gignac, Nathan Légaré, Riley McKay, Filip Mesar, Jan Mysak, Jakov Novak, Joshua Roy, Xavier Simoneau, Ty Smilanic, Alex-Olivier Voyer and Nolan Yaremko), eight defensemen (Tobie Bisson, Stanislav Demin, Olivier Galipeau, Noah Laaouan, Christopher Ortiz, John Parker-Jones, Jayden Struble and Miguël Tourigny), and three goaltenders (Zachary Émond, Strauss Mann et Joe Vrbetic).

Reactions: Team_Spirit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad