2023-2024 EPL Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You still seem stuck on the specific words he used despite that not being the significant factor here…
But it is. The extra time on the pitch after the red card wasn’t a factor because they were waiting on the results of the VAR check. No F word I doubt extra suspension but I guess we will never know until we see this again. So yeah. Consistency to be proven

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
But it is. The extra time on the pitch after the red card wasn’t a factor because they were waiting on the results of the VAR check. No F word I doubt extra suspension but I guess we will never know until we see this again. So yeah. Consistency to be proven
It’s specifically about his behavior *after* the VAR check was confirmed.

There is absolutely zero issue with him staying on the pitch while VAR was checking it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You’ve spent a week plus whining about it. In multiple threads.
No one is whining. You are whining. I am just setting expectations

It’s specifically about his behavior *after* the VAR check was confirmed.

There is absolutely zero issue with him staying on the pitch while VAR was checking it.
I don’t think fine or extra suspension if he doesn’t say F word though. I think that’s the line.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Saying the punishment was right and not appealing does not have anything to do with wanting some manner of consistency. Once again, I’ve said I understand the suspension. I don’t know if it was warranted but it was stupid what he did. I just would like some clarity and consistency with officiating. I don’t think that’s been the case this season so far on a number of accounts.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Saying the punishment was right and not appealing does not have anything to do with wanting some manner of consistency. Once again, I’ve said I understand the suspension. I don’t know if it was warranted but it was stupid what he did. I just would like some clarity and consistency with officiating. I don’t think that’s been the case this season so far on a number of accounts.
Again, no one has posted a single example of another player doing what VVD did. It’s either something significantly less (yelling a couple times, etc) or something significantly more (Mitrovic)

Complaints about consistency while referencing VVD make zero sense unless you can find examples of similar things that have been punished differently. There’s zero reason to believe that punishments won’t be consistent here if other players behave in a similar way.

Reactions: Peen and Blender

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Trying to catch up on a few threads here after a week, and it seems all I missed was "the red card and extra suspension for VVD were clearly the correct calls, but the reffing is so inconsistent!"

Even when the refs get one objectively right, Liverpool fans can't help themselves but complain for weeks.

Reactions: Jussi

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Trying to catch up on a few threads here after a week, and it seems all I missed was "the red card and extra suspension for VVD were clearly the correct calls, but the reffing is so inconsistent!"

Even when the refs get one objectively right, Liverpool fans can't help themselves but complain for weeks.
No one said that. Looking for consistency in the future if the precedent has been set. That’s it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What exactly should one act like after that? It's just tone deaf to dive into the rumors and all that.
IF those messages Antony shared are real then they don't align with what this Ingrid Lana person has been saying. And apparently she cancelled her tv appearance two hours after Antony released those. So that MAY BE one claim down...

I suggest you leave that to the authorities and not on Reddit.
As I said, it's up to the police to verify those. But Antony did share those on his Instagram. Just easier to find on Reddit apparently.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, maybe those texts mean something, maybe they don't, but I put very little into what either side selectively releases to make their case look better. The public simply doesn't have the info to make any sort of strong opinion.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I, for one, am totally shocked that Jussi is trying to find every reason possible to ignore DV complaints against a United player. This definitely hasn't happened before.
I'm absolutely not trying to ignore them. Just seems this one case MIGHT be more questionable. There's still two and who knows how those will turn out. Either way, Antony's coming off of this quite a douche and whether keeping such a toxic character in the team, even if he were cleared, is not something United might want to do PR wise.

Also, I never defended Greenwood. Just recognized that both parties in that toxic relationship, seemed to be...well, toxic. Never wanted him to return to the team, so please stop putting words in my mouth.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I have some issue with these complain about pro football player but at the same time I also have huge issue on the players and a lot on their team.

1) the tendency to claim gulty or not gulty based on no facts or little facts. I do not want to do that but based on the previous verdicts, it seems like it needs a lot of evidence to convict a player for these crimes.

2) there is usually no smoke without fire. Altough it has happened that people have claimed false testimony to get at some specific player for money or other reasons. It's rare that many complains targeted at one player is not legit or has some truth to it.

3) it seems from the outside that it is very hard to get a player charged even with abundance of proof or many victims. For instance Ben Mendy and also the public case of Greenwood. I do not know the full details for these cases and why they were not charged but at the same time it paints a very bad portrait for future victims of these crimes that nothing happened other than it had some affect the player reputation.

4) and now my biggest issue is with their team. I have little doubt that if no money were involved both Greenwood and Antony would never step on a football field with a Manchester United kit on them but they are associated with significant price tag and contracts and the team while acting as if it's not acceptable behavior. They would have different threshold as if they were some random players from the 2nd team or the academy. They would be released in no time.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's also possible evidence wasn't complete or witnesses weren't comfortable coming forward, or ideas of what went down were different from parties involved based on expectation, or what have you. That's not even getting into how most of the trials in these types of cases end up going down. With better lawyers, power inequity, it usually ends up without any actual sentencing or conviction. There are certainly a lot of accusations that do not end up being true, and there are certainly countless examples of charges being dropped, pressure on witnesses, or just the inability to completely prove something because of circumstance. There's also a lot of grey area between convicted felon in a court of law and behaving poorly towards women.

I just think it's stupid in the Antony case to assume someone is making shit up until it really plays out. Especially from a reddit rumor or some other sketchy source. All parties have the right to a fair trial and to present what evidence they have. But it doesn't make a guy innocent from being a creep just because a court might rule they can't prove a crime happened.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's also possible evidence wasn't complete or witnesses weren't comfortable coming forward, or ideas of what went down were different from parties involved based on expectation, or what have you. That's not even getting into how most of the trials in these types of cases end up going down. With better lawyers, power inequity, it usually ends up without any actual sentencing or conviction. There are certainly a lot of accusations that do not end up being true, and there are certainly countless examples of charges being dropped, pressure on witnesses, or just the inability to completely prove something because of circumstance. There's also a lot of grey area between convicted felon in a court of law and behaving poorly towards women.

I just think it's stupid in the Antony case to assume someone is making shit up until it really plays out. Especially from a reddit rumor or some other sketchy source. All parties have the right to a fair trial and to present what evidence they have. But it doesn't make a guy innocent from being a creep just because a court might rule they can't prove a crime happened.
Yes totally possible. But maybe people can stop acting like he's OBVIOUSLY guilty when nobody knows and even judges with all evidence couldn't prove it despite 7 testimonies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad