2023-2024 EPL Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
I am really looking forward to seeing how the refs implement the additional stoppage time and how they dish out yellows as well -- just judging based on what we saw with the EFL over this past weekend.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I am really looking forward to seeing how the refs implement the additional stoppage time and how they dish out yellows as well -- just judging based on what we saw with the EFL over this past weekend.
I’m not looking forward to it. It’s just going to make the games too long and it’s bad for the players. They are right to combat it, but it’s the complete wrong solution to the problem

Reactions: JPBolts

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Explain please?
It's what Conte explained in his rant, it goes straight from the players all the way to the owner and the blokes in the suits. I hope you don't think that you lots severe trophy drought is due to just the players and managers themselves in this endless cycle. When you got an awful owner, that will trickle down throughout the personnel and squad. I've seen it in so many professional teams and the latest one was Synder in the Washington Throwball team before he sold it.
Unproven to you clearly. Ridiculous to say he can be no better than Kepa when you don't know much about him.
You don't know much about him as well, @luiginb explained he became a starter like halfway through the season or something. He's very green and reminds me a lot of Kepa when Chelsea bought him (being very green and supposedly talented). Thinking he's going to solve all the issues for you lot is unbelievably naive.
I firmly believe that you are the one with the blinders on.
As I mentioned in that previous post, the Spurs just seem like a club that was punching above their weight for about four or so seasons now and it just came off the rails last season. Where I am different from you lot is that I see it continuing through this season where you Tottenham will somehow rebound. Like is van de Ven going to be that much of a difference-maker? Is Veliz going to help you get back to Europe? Is Taremi the answer to potentially replace Kane? Then there's all the talent that's going to be lost as well, Kane (which has already been exhaustively discussed), Sanchez is good as gone (mistake prone, but was also a warrior), Hojbjerg (big loss and no real replacement), and Perisic (past his prime, but still a quality veteran piece). Hell, your club still has Emerson, Gil, Richarlison, Skipp, Reguilon, Ndombele, and Tanganga still on it at this point. You will still be relying on Dier (Spurs see him as a very good veteran player), "Red Card" Romero, Lo Celso, and Richarlison in prime positions and their replacements from the bench ain't that much better.

So go and get all your van de Vens' and Vicarios', but I think Spurs can potentially be in a world of hurt this season.
Put up your predictions vs SEPH and we compare at end of season
I am down to do whatever, however, my opinion and predictions can also change depending on what remains in the transfer window. For example, if Kane stays at Spurs and CP loses Olise, I would totally have to redo my list.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
I’m not looking forward to it. It’s just going to make the games too long and it’s bad for the players. They are right to combat it, but it’s the complete wrong solution to the problem
I like that they are trying to combat it... just not sure what other things they could do?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I like that they are trying to combat it... just not sure what other things they could do?
I mean if you want to stop the time wasting I think a very easy solution is you take the downed players off the field immediately as possible (instead of treating them on the field) and make the team either play with ten or make a sub. And it’s on the refs to actually enforce time wasting, even if it means giving multiple yellows to a goalie. To many refs hide behind not wanting to effect the game and don’t do their job

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I didn't think it was a bad game... both teams wanted it.
I thought that was the best Community Shield I've watched in the past 5-7 years. I don't really see how it was boring. It's also especially funny when Pep said in the postgame that it was "meaningless" and then you see his celebration of Man City's goal. Yeah, sure goldilocks it was just a friendly for you.
Whatever they have to do to stop City from walking with the ball a quarter of the match. (other teams do it too) but that also plays into the strategy for city and against city... trying to sap the other team and they do no real danger with the ball..
Partey got a yellow yesterday for kicking out the ball and I think Arteta got a yellow for something similar. FA had to crack down on this nonsense, but I can see the refs absolutely abuse it because yesterday, he gave a yellow to Partey for kicking the ball yet a City player did the same exact play and just got a warning. This rule will have the potential to make us fans pull our hair out because I can totally see FA refs being ridiculously inconsistent at it.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I mean if you want to stop the time wasting I think a very easy solution is you take the downed players off the field immediately as possible (instead of treating them on the field) and make the team either play with ten or make a sub. And it’s on the refs to actually enforce time wasting, even if it means giving multiple yellows to a goalie. To many refs hide behind not wanting to effect the game and don’t do their job

Not a good solution, favours hurting the opponent if you get to play a man up until the opponent is allowed to make a sub.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019

It's all going to be pointless and time wasting will continue in some form or another until they do what North American sports do and stop the clock when the ball isn't in play and decide on a new minute time or something.

I'd say two 30 minute halves should be enough, the ball in most EPL games is not even in play for a full 60 minutes.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's all going to be pointless and time wasting will continue in some form or another until they do what North American sports do and stop the clock when the ball isn't in play and decide on a new minute time or something.

I'd say two 30 minute halves should be enough, the ball in most EPL games is not even in play for a full 60 minutes.
All of these suck

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
All of these suck
No they dont. Take timekeeping away from the on-field refs. Do it like NA sports. The ref in soccer has enough to worry about. 30 minute halves, stop clock whenever its not in play, Timekeeping done by 4th ref or someone on the sidelines/booth.
Problem solved. Next!

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Hopefully Nico Jackson can just play every game. He looked incredible in preseason anyways, and we have no Europe to worry about. We're really f***ed if he gets any injury though. Leaves an opening at the #10 spot more than anything.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Hopefully Nico Jackson can just play every game. He looked incredible in preseason anyways, and we have no Europe to worry about. We're really f***ed if he gets any injury though. Leaves an opening at the #10 spot more than anything.
Tbh I’m not sure Nkunku was going to play 10 full time anyways. Probably a lot of starts on the left.

This does help Gallagher and Chukwuemeka. I think both were going to start this week regardless but I mean over the next few months to establish themselves.

I really hope they get Caicedo over the line soon.

Madueke, Broja, Nkunku remain injured. Means we are going into the season with only Jackson, Mudryk, Sterling fit as forwards. A yucky week one start for Sterling.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Tbh I’m not sure Nkunku was going to play 10 full time anyways. Probably a lot of starts on the left.

This does help Gallagher and Chukwuemeka. I think both were going to start this week regardless but I mean over the next few months to establish themselves.

I really hope they get Caicedo over the line soon.

Madueke, Broja, Nkunku remain injured. Means we are going into the season with only Jackson, Mudryk, Sterling fit as forwards. A yucky week one start for Sterling.
Without Caicedo I assume Gallagher is playing as an 8 or 6 like he did in preseason mostly. Leaves Chuk and Maatsen at #10 I think.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
No they dont. Take timekeeping away from the on-field refs. Do it like NA sports. The ref in soccer has enough to worry about. 30 minute halves, stop clock whenever its not in play, Timekeeping done by 4th ref or someone on the sidelines/booth.
Problem solved. Next!
Sounds like what Wenger and Flo want to do. No thanks. keep it as is.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Take the stalling players off the field and actually enforce yellow card offenses. Problem solved. Making teams play with ten solves the issue

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
It's what Conte explained in his rant, it goes straight from the players all the way to the owner and the blokes in the suits. I hope you don't think that you lots severe trophy drought is due to just the players and managers themselves in this endless cycle. When you got an awful owner, that will trickle down throughout the personnel and squad. I've seen it in so many professional teams and the latest one was Synder in the Washington Throwball team before he sold it.

You don't know much about him as well, @luiginb explained he became a starter like halfway through the season or something. He's very green and reminds me a lot of Kepa when Chelsea bought him (being very green and supposedly talented). Thinking he's going to solve all the issues for you lot is unbelievably naive.

As I mentioned in that previous post, the Spurs just seem like a club that was punching above their weight for about four or so seasons now and it just came off the rails last season. Where I am different from you lot is that I see it continuing through this season where you Tottenham will somehow rebound. Like is van de Ven going to be that much of a difference-maker? Is Veliz going to help you get back to Europe? Is Taremi the answer to potentially replace Kane? Then there's all the talent that's going to be lost as well, Kane (which has already been exhaustively discussed), Sanchez is good as gone (mistake prone, but was also a warrior), Hojbjerg (big loss and no real replacement), and Perisic (past his prime, but still a quality veteran piece). Hell, your club still has Emerson, Gil, Richarlison, Skipp, Reguilon, Ndombele, and Tanganga still on it at this point. You will still be relying on Dier (Spurs see him as a very good veteran player), "Red Card" Romero, Lo Celso, and Richarlison in prime positions and their replacements from the bench ain't that much better.

So go and get all your van de Vens' and Vicarios', but I think Spurs can potentially be in a world of hurt this season.

I am down to do whatever, however, my opinion and predictions can also change depending on what remains in the transfer window. For example, if Kane stays at Spurs and CP loses Olise, I would totally have to redo my list.
Too much to break down here. AFAIK there is little toxicity among the players. Also think you have an uninformed opinion on a lot of the players mentioned. No, we shouldn't be relying much on Eric Dier anymore

Reminder that you said Spurs would finish no better than 11th even with Kane.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

nice breakdown how Perisic was the worst possible player to work with Son last year and how Ange's system is made for the left-sided players Son/Maddison/Udogie

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad