GDT: 2022 NHL Free Agency

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
Laine is a bad hockey player.

He is a great goal scorer, elite even. But a bad overall hockey player

He is not who we should be interested in

He's cost prohibitive, there are better options, and I dont want to turn this into a Laine debate but calling Laine an elite goal scorer and a bad hockey player is wild.

He's such a great goal scorer that his lines wildly outperform their xGF every year. GF% is usually over 50. I think that matters. He's not bad.

LoktionovMVP

Nov 1, 2018
So for those of you who don't think this is a disaster, what do the Devils do now?
Blanked on Fiala, Cat, JG. Is JT Miller all we have now, maybe?
For a team that wanted to "improve" and "be aggressive", the devils certainly failed

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Man, I took a few years off from this board but it's good to know we have just as many Chicken Little's as we ever did.

We missed out on Johnny (an admittedly elite player) through no fault of our own (as far as I can reckon). That sucks, but we have one of the best young cores in hockey and we're gonna have the cap space to take a run at guys as they become available through trade, RFA and UFA over the next couple years.

I want to win this year as bad as anyone, but building smart and patiently is nothing to be pissed off about.
Well said . Good thing I’m not our GK as I would be pissed off and liking to trade shit for an elite winger . You want our first ? Sure it’s yours ! Want Holtz ? No problem , I’ll even toss in a Ty Smith for free

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Sucks that the Devils didn't get him but its not that big of a deal. He was always going to be more of a luxury than an essential addition.

I'm actually more annoyed that he didn't go to the Flyers. JVR would have been a useful player and also bring in bonus assets as well.

Reactions: Dialamo

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He's cost prohibitive, there are better options, and I dont want to turn this into a Laine debate but calling Laine an elite goal scorer and a bad hockey player is wild.

He's such a great goal scorer that his lines wildly outperform their xGF every year. I think that matters. He's not bad.

hes a literal drag at anything else besides scoring goals...which, yes, are important...but I am not signing a player like that to big $$

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
So for those of you who don't think this is a disaster, what do the Devils do now?
Blanked on Fiala, Cat, JG. Is JT Miller all we have now, maybe?
For a team that wanted to "improve" and "be aggressive", the devils certainly failed
I'm about to check out here because I can feel myself getting pissy, but yeah it's f***ing frustrating entering the second day of free agency without any of the major forwards having panned out.

We'll see what FItz does. Hopefully something.

Reactions: NJDevs26

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
So now we are heading into next season short a top 6 wing. This is our lineup right now....
Sharangovich-Hughes-Mercer
Blank-Nico-Bratt
Tatar-Haula-Zetterlund
Wood/Johnsson/Boqvist-Mcleod-Bastian
This isn't pretty at all unless Holtz is ready. I prefer not to see Tatar in the top 6. We have made 0 changes besides ridding Zacha. I don't have faith in this roster.
I would be fine with:

Sharangovich-Jack-Mercer
Nino-Nico-Bratt
Tatar-Haula-Zetterlund/Holtz
Wood-Boqvist/McLeod-Bastian

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Seems like Gaudreau isn't really interested in being close to home or winning, so that's not a player we really wanted. Don't want a paycheck player. Throw some money at Neiderider or Palat, and maybe try to swing a trade for Tkachuk. Much better options, at this point.

Reactions: Devs3cups

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
Three proven top-6 forwards bolded in the top-6. Four if you count Nino who, obviously, who knows.

Great.
Yep. So pathetic. Going to go into the season with 20+ million sitting and doing 0 with it. Could of added Patches for f***ing free, and didn't do it either.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
I think I would be upset about this if JG wasn't a Flyers fan from deep South Jersey. He probably grew up hating the Devils, New York City, maybe even North Jersey. I would've probably left a few million on the table to avoid a couple hated rivals if in his shoes.

Reactions: Oneiro

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don't think he wanted to join a rival of the flyers. seems like fitz made a very good offer

His wife reportedly didn’t want to live in the NYC Metro area, that came out when the Flyers were the clear favorites. But the Flyers didn’t make an offer.

Basically it looks like JG hemmed and hawed until a Eastern team not in the NYC metro area jumped in and problem solved.

Reactions: youryeah

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Three proven top-6 forwards bolded in the top-6. Four if you count Nino who, obviously, who knows.

Great.
I can confidently state Sharangovich’s floor has been established and it’s solid. Jack and Bratt are more talented than most teams’ top 2 players btw. You’d think we didn’t have a budding superstar with this doomer shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad