GDT: 2022 NHL Free Agency

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
A friend of a friend that works in the business has said John Davidson is arguably the biggest piece of shit he's met in the entire business. This is for hockey/business reasons. Nothing about his personal character or anything slimy or controversial as a human.
That's so bizarre to hear haha! He seems like a nice guy from what I have seen, as you mentioned in your last sentence.

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why do people think Laine is even a remote possibility now? Columbus wants to win just like the rest of the division besides us…they’re gonna want a king’s ransom for trading Laine here

Reactions: Darkauron

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Maybe his wife got a job. Or an uncle lives in Ohio. Or he really, really likes Jeni's ice cream. Or he's a fan of the Columbus Crew. Or he wants to finish his degree at Ohio State. Who knows?

*shrugs* After losing Panarin, Columbus deserved a little happiness. It would have been nice to be the the beneficiary of a reverse-Parise, but what can you do.

I was never sure Gaudreau was a good idea anyway. I wish we'd been in on Marchment, but Niederreiter would be a good add. Let's get him.
Maybe the NMC / front loaded / back loaded / structure of contract was massivl important to him and Fitz didn’t want to offer a contract that was buyout proof or offered no trade clauses that would make it impossible to trade him ever if he regressed in the later years?
Maybe Columbus have him that and we didn’t want to.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
We should bench Hughes/Nico/Bratt/Hamilton for the year and tank. We have 0 shot at anything this year, just get another high end prospect.

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
I don't really see many reasonable *good* trade options right now. Hard pass on JT. Laine is going to cost more than I'd want it to. Feels like were going to go into next season with roughly the same team. They'll be okay with some more health and average goaltending, but wow some major missed opportunities the last couple weeks.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Laine is a bad hockey player.

He is a great goal scorer, elite even. But a bad overall hockey player

He is not who we should be interested in
Agreed. He is not worth the $ he will want and is not the type of p
player you win with . Yes he may pot 40 goals but he probably costs the team more goals against by his shit two way game

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
The Colorado Avalanche went from being one of the worst teams in the league into a perennial playoff contender from one year to the next just off the backs of MacKinnon, Landeskog and Rantanen improvement. Players like Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Holtz, Mercer, etc... continuing to improve is what will determine if this team is ready to compete or not, not a singular UFA signing/trade.

As for never wanting to take the next step for fear of mistakes that has nothing to do with what I said. I said the Devils should just continue to build and make smart moves. A smart move could mean a big upgrade in free agency or trade or a smaller move, my point wasn't to not bring players in but not to act desperately and let the market come to you and only make a move if you think it's worth it.
Well I dont think anyone is asking for the team to make dumb signings, so it seems odd to state that.. seems obvious

Next years 1st isnt off limits, which was my main issue with your post. If its for a clear upgrade it should 100% be available. Idc if next years draft has 50 McDavids

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Man, I took a few years off from this board but it's good to know we have just as many Chicken Little's as we ever did.

We missed out on Johnny (an admittedly elite player) through no fault of our own (as far as I can reckon). That sucks, but we have one of the best young cores in hockey and we're gonna have the cap space to take a run at guys as they become available through trade, RFA and UFA over the next couple years.

I want to win this year as bad as anyone, but building smart and patiently is nothing to be pissed off about.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's so bizarre to hear haha! He seems like a nice guy from what I have seen, as you mentioned in your last sentence.
All I can say is that this person was working for a team that JD came to (I'm not gonna get into what team or who the guy was or what he did there, I'm not looking to out the guy) and upon their first meeting, JD said looking at his resume and credentials he was really not worth any kind of raise or promotion. This person wound up getting employment in a place where he felt more wanted and respected.

I like JD as an announcer, but I don't him having done much to brag about in hockey operations.

• Wow
Reactions: Dialamo

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
The frustration will wear off, but tough to see teams like Ottawa and Carolina noticeably improve this summer while the Devils remained completely stagnant. $23 million in cap space (2nd most in the NHL) in the last year of the flat cap with a team that needs to take the next step. The cap space should have been a huge advantage in the current cap environment.

I don't blame Fitz for Gaudreau, he can't force him to make the decision. But having nothing else lined up so far outside of a lateral Zacha for Haula swap and Brendan Smith for $1m is rough.

Reactions: Lou is God

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I don't really see many reasonable *good* trade options right now. Hard pass on JT. Laine is going to cost more than I'd want it to. Feels like were going to go into next season with roughly the same team. They'll be okay with some more health and average goaltending, but wow some major missed opportunities the last couple weeks.
Tkachuk is the most obvious, but we likely won't know for a while (until he makes it clear he's leaving). If he's not signing an extension, they need to just move him before the season . They can't lose another player of that caliber for nothing

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Tkachuk is the most obvious, but we likely won't know for a while (until he makes it clear he's leaving). If he's not signing an extension, they need to just move him before the season . They can't lose another player of that caliber for nothing

Tkachuk is going to have a bidding war and then you're going to have to pray that he re-signs with you and pay him $10m+ on top of parting with elite assets. It's a tough ask.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
So now we are heading into next season short a top 6 wing. This is our lineup right now....
Sharangovich-Hughes-Mercer
Blank-Nico-Bratt
Tatar-Haula-Zetterlund
Wood/Johnsson/Boqvist-Mcleod-Bastian
This isn't pretty at all unless Holtz is ready. I prefer not to see Tatar in the top 6. We have made 0 changes besides ridding Zacha. I don't have faith in this roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad