Chinatown88

356 days and counting
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
tumblr_mdfykn8urh1qh0g7to1_500.gif

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The Flyers who were the 4th worst team in the league this year and at no point were competitive, have the ~12th most draft capital in this year's draft. Laughing is the only option.

When debating ceiling in any sport, I feel like people have wildly different discussions based upon whether they mean 90th or 99th Percentile outcomes. If you're speaking to one and I'm speaking to the other, we're just talking past each other.
I learned this the hard way with Morin. :(

Gauthier is a much better prospect than Tippett in that he has something to fall back on if beating NHL goalies with his shot doesn't translate. He can actually make some pretty nifty plays along the boards.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Would Shane Wright be worth moving up for? Or is he really not that much better of a prospect than guys like Gauthier or cooley?

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The few times I watched Gauthier, I never came away thinking he was noticeably bad, but that seems to be the biggest complaint about using the 5th overall pick on him.

That’s a really valuable asset to use on a guy who likely finds his way up and down the top 9 of your lineup.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I laugh that not doing the DeBrincat trade is what sent the remaining authentic fans over the edge on Fletcher. :laugh:

It’s ultimately a hard cap so it’s not as easy as DeBrincat will likely be better than whoever you select at #5. The Flyers just aren’t a good team as is. They capped out & they assets are low. DeBrincat very likely won’t sign an extension with that $9M. So there’s legit possibility he’s not here long term. They can’t turn around & sell him around for less next deadline after paying a #5++. The entire league knows they have to ditch JvR’s contract to add any high salary so teams are probably squeezing them for mid round pick or equal value.

They backed themselves into a corner that they couldn’t take that risk. You can’t be a bad to middling team that keeps giving assets to ditch unwanted contracts.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I laugh that not doing the DeBrincat trade is what sent the remaining authentic fans over the edge on Fletcher. :laugh:

It’s ultimately a hard cap so it’s not as easy as DeBrincat will likely be better than whoever you select at #5. The Flyers just aren’t a good team as is. They capped out & they assets are low. DeBrincat very likely won’t sign an extension with that $9M. So there’s legit possibility he’s not here long term. They can’t turn around & sell him around for less next deadline after paying a #5++. The entire league knows they have to ditch JvR’s contract to add any high salary so teams are probably squeezing them for mid round pick or equal value.

They backed themselves into a corner that they couldn’t take that risk. You can’t be a bad to middling team that keeps giving assets to ditch unwanted contracts.
But what are the odds the 5th overall pick is better than DeBrincat? :laugh:

Fans have no concept of cost controlled years. Hit on the pick and that guy could be playing and contributing in the top half of your lineup as soon as next season and you get them for a reasonable cap hit for the next ~7 years and for most of their prime years.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The irony isn’t lost on me that those same people cheered on the Ristolainen trade/extension which closed the door on them taking a risk with DeBrincat but are now mad are the same people. :laugh:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Holy Christ Marek on SN suggesting the Flyers will attach 5th overall to JVR to gain space for Gaudreau.

Tonight is my last night being a Flyers fan if that happens.
I’m not sure that the levels of comedy that would be achieved if they did that and Gaudreau didn’t come here could ever be matched.

Just imagine the slop they’d use that space on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad